hmm... his last one was EASILY far and away his worst album to date, so i hope at least a couple of thees are good...

edit: ah... 4 EP's + 1 full length

it's like the Junkyard Hearts all over again, cool...

speaking of junkyard hearts, 3 of them are on ebay! wish i had my tax refund now :ohwell

mountain bed, i'm afraid i don't know who Chad is. but chances are we have crossed paths at a Wilco show or 2, i'm just bad with names :dontgetit

• 2 weeks later...

new track!

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new-jose...emi_007796.html

it's easily better than ANYTHING off his last album, and as good if not better than most off Nuclear Daydream. sounds like he's returned to his roots (at last on this track anyway), as it's pretty stripped down acoustic + harmonica along w/ some other subtle flourishes.

sure hope the rest of the EP (and maybe the other EP's) is/are this good :D

• 2 months later...

the first EP is out now! I gotta say, its def. a return to his old form. Even tho I liked 'Let's Just Be' quite a bit, its great to hear him return to a more structured, mellow'd sound. there should be some sound clips up on his main page if anyone's interested.

also, the next EP, 'Crazy Rain' is up for preorder on www.josepharthur.com. for $20 you get 2 copies of the EP (gotta share the music with a buddy) and a cool art print of JA's. he's also doing a solo show on the 4/24 at his art gallery in Brooklyn to promote the next EP...anyone up for a roadtrip? :dancing

Five releases from a guy who hasn't put out one good one yet. He has a couple of good songs, and a few a really good songs. The last song I heard of his was "Diamond Ring" and I almost laughed myself right off the road. I went to a job interview about 6 years ago for a management company and they were pouring all kinds of money into this guy. They sent me home with a CD, and by the time I got home, i knew if i took that job I wouldn't have it for long.

the first EP is out now! I gotta say, its def. a return to his old form. Even tho I liked 'Let's Just Be' quite a bit, its great to hear him return to a more structured, mellow'd sound. there should be some sound clips up on his main page if anyone's interested.

also, the next EP, 'Crazy Rain' is up for preorder on www.josepharthur.com. for $20 you get 2 copies of the EP (gotta share the music with a buddy) and a cool art print of JA's. he's also doing a solo show on the 4/24 at his art gallery in Brooklyn to promote the next EP...anyone up for a roadtrip? :dancing

i hear that his gallery shows aren't very much fun. the place is just full of pretentious people that don't dance or do anything during the show. they just stand there and stare at each other.

i still haven't be able to get into "could we surive" for some reason. i like it, but nothing stands out as being particularly amazing to me. i definitely like that he's working mostly solo on these. i mean, i love the lonely astronauts but sometimes it's all a bit too much for me. although, i do love seeing him live with the band...there's so much energy! they're an extremely talented group of musicians.

i'm pretty sure "our shadows will remain" is my favorite JA album. but i also loooove "redemption's son".

Five releases from a guy who hasn't put out one good one yet. He has a couple of good songs, and a few a really good songs. The last song I heard of his was "Diamond Ring" and I almost laughed myself right off the road. I went to a job interview about 6 years ago for a management company and they were pouring all kinds of money into this guy. They sent me home with a CD, and by the time I got home, i knew if i took that job I wouldn't have it for long.

his first 3-4 albums are fantastic, but the stuff since then has been very hit or miss.

Just got done with Could We Survive for the first time and I have to say I am SO happy with it. Definitely a return to form. I was about to give up on him, hopefully the rest of the output this year will be similar.

a new song, dream of the eternal life, from the upcoming crazy rain EP is up on joe's myspace.

it gets off to an interesting start. i'm still listening to it for the first time, not sure what i think of it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't think he sleeps. a lot of those songs probably aren't "new" either. he probably has an enormous catalog of unreleased tunes since he's pretty much constantly writing. also, i don't think the recording process takes long for him. he usually records a song once and that's that. he doesn't edit himself much.

• 1 month later...

EP #3, 'Vagabond Skies,' was released the other day! anyone listen to it yet? honestly, I think the first release, 'Could We Survive' has been the best so far but it looks like the majority of folks are torn b/w EPs 2 and 3.

oh, for those diehard Joseph Arthur fans, which is prolly only me and like 1-2 others, he's selling some silk screen'd tee-shirts on his website for $40.00 each. they look pretty cool. here's the link for the guys: http://josepharthur.store-08.com/browse/men.php and for the ladies: http://josepharthur.store-08.com/browse/ladies.php

• 3 months later...

more JA news...I stole this from lonelyastronauts.com:

"You Are Free"

60-minute documentary film

Directed by Bryan Johnson, 2007

when: Thursday, October 2nd at 9:00pm

where: as part of Pop Montreal

Cinema du Parc

3575, av. Du Parc

Montreal, Quebec

"Documenting the first show of Joseph Arthur's 2005 tour at the Troubadour in Los Angeles, the film is an unforgettable blend of music, art, and drama. "You Are Free" goes beyond merely documenting the performance, it allows the viewer to truly get to know this unique artist. Performances are inter-cut with scenes of Arthur speaking with moving sincerity about his career, his life, and his spiritual journey as a person and a musician.

Acclaimed singer-songwriter Joseph Arthur demonstrates why he is 'one of the last true artists left in the world' in this immediate and unflinching documentary that blends music, art and drama into an unforgettable movie experience."

You Are Free- Trailer