I hate to say it, but the "no optical drive" thing would be a dealbreaker for me, at least for now. If I can't pop a CD or DVD into the thing, suddenly it's about 50% less useful to me as a portable computer.

At some point in the future that may no longer be true, but it is now, for me anyway.

I hate to say it, but the "no optical drive" thing would be a dealbreaker for me, at least for now. If I can't pop a CD or DVD into the thing, suddenly it's about 50% less useful to me as a portable computer.

At some point in the future that may no longer be true, but it is now, for me anyway.

they've got some virtual disc download program, which i guess is bluetooth or wifi, whereby you put the cd/dvd in the home computer drive and it'll download onto your macbook air. but i guess there was no way to put an optical drive into something that thin.

They said in the keynote that as long as you have a broadband connection that movies (including HD movies) will start playing the stream within 30 seconds. You don't have to wait for the whole movie to download just enough to where you don't overlap it.

I think apple has done a great job with the movie and television industry. Paying 4 bucks to download a movie to my ipod for a day is worth it. Ive been a long time pirate just b/c I am broke but I am willing to pay if for convenience and quality.

I agree. I think iTunes has done leaps and bounds for "un-pirating" a fair percentage of music listeners, IMO. With HD movies, to my knowledge, aren't able to be pirated...yet.

HD movies can and are pirated. It's not widespread because DVD quality is good enough for most people. I would provide evidence, but...