I've heard from a few people to put Vicks VapoRub on the kids feet when they have a cough and I never did it because I figured there was no way it could work.

Anyways, last night Grace was really stuffy and was coughing and was having a hard time staying asleep because she couldn't suck her thumb. So I figured I'd try it. So I slathered the bottom of her feet up and put her in her footie pj's and zipped her up. She stopped coughing within minutes and he nose cleared up and she slept very well the rest of the night.

I figured I'd let you guys know about it to see if it works on grown ups too!!

I've heard from a few people to put Vicks VapoRub on the kids feet when they have a cough and I never did it because I figured there was no way it could work.

Anyways, last night Grace was really stuffy and was coughing and was having a hard time staying asleep because she couldn't suck her thumb. So I figured I'd try it. So I slathered the bottom of her feet up and put her in her footie pj's and zipped her up. She stopped coughing within minutes and he nose cleared up and she slept very well the rest of the night.

I remember my mom putting the stuff on my chest if I had congestion. But she would never allow me to go outside in the cold if I still had that on my chest. She said it would "drive the cold in" or something to that effect, and would make me sicker. I had to wash the stuff off before going out. Sounds like your Grace is a wee one, and wouldn't be running around outside anyhow, so no worries there. : )

cheers,

b.s.

My mom has been swearing by this. It's helped her through a couple of nasty colds this winter.

Clara Jane's congested, and I totally forgot to try this last night. I wonder if my hippie-dippie all-natural version of VapoRub will do the same thing.

I hope Grace is feeling better quick!

When my nephew was probably a year and a half old, there was a family vacation type thing where our families ended up sharing a hotel room. My nephew had a cold and so the VaporRub was applied to his chest in hopes of clearing up some of his congestion. Not only did it clear him up, but it also had the effect of a triple-espresso on him and he was shouting "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" at the top of his lungs for what seemed like hours. It was hysterical, but if you value your sleep, you may want to take warning from this story. :lol

Very cool. I'm going to try this with my daughter. I use a "Sniffles" balm made with rosemary and eucalyptus essential oils. I wonder if that would work too?

When I was a kid, my mom would put a small amount of VVR in a cloth and tie a string around it to make a little ghost that I could sniff when I was stuffed up. :lol

My motm used to lather us up in the stuff whenever one of had croup. Only on the chest, though, and always accompanied by a trip to the bathroom with the shower cranked on hot to make it a steam room.

I'll try the Vick's on the feet deal next time the baby issick (now). Of course I'll need to buy some Vick's and I'll need to remember to use it.

I am totally going to try this foot thing tonight. My little one has had a lot of nose congestion, so she hasn't been feeding very well because she can't breathe when she's drinking her bottles. Is there any particular reason for the feet to be the place to put the vapor rub?

I am totally going to try this foot thing tonight. My little one has had a lot of nose congestion, so she hasn't been feeding very well because she can't breathe when she's drinking her bottles. Is there any particular reason for the feet to be the place to put the vapor rub?

I was wondering about that too. I just did it, but instead of footie pajamas I put it on under their socks, since it's just naptime. I wonder if it will work, because maybe the feet heat the stuff up and then the vapors can circulate their way up through the pajamas, all around their little chests and backs, and leak out at the neck where they can breathe it in, making them even more powerful.

:mellow

Maybe.

So, we're getting the Twinsleys ready for bed tonight and I start to explain this thread to Mrs. K, only about halfway through the second sentence do I realize... I sound like a lunatic! Why don't we sacrifice a chicken while we're at it? I tried to sell her on it, but since putting them to bed is more her job, it didn't happen. Let me know how your attempts at this fared.

Why don't we sacrifice a chicken while we're at it?

That step is optional.

I forgot to try this last night.(not the chicken part) Her congestion was a little better, although when she woke up for her 3:00 feeding she was really hard to get back to sleep. I don't think lathering her up with vapor rub would have been soothing at that point. She probably would have been up for hours going, "WTF is that #@!$ on my feet??!" :huh

I forgot to try this last night.(not the chicken part) Her congestion was a little better, although when she woke up for her 3:00 feeding she was really hard to get back to sleep. I don't think lathering her up with vapor rub would have been soothing at that point. She probably would have been up for hours going, "WTF is that #@!$ on my feet??!" :huh

Your baby has quite the potty mouth!! :blink

Our first child is on the way, so I am soaking this in and making mental notes on what to try and when to try it.