post May 22 2007, 08:07 AM

Post #2

Mellow: The Inkling

Free Jazz: Interstellar Space Revisited

Avant Garde: Destroy All Nels Cline

Jazz: New Monastery

Rock: Mike Watt's "Contemplating the Engine Room"

Jam Band: Banyan "Live at Perkins Palace"

The Nels Cline Singers releases tend to me a mixed bag of the above styles, and are all highly recommended.

There have been at least two threads asking the same thing in the "Just a Fan" section of this site in the past two weeks. Check there for more info.

I think this may help.

Any of the Nels Cline Singers albums would be an ideal starting point. Almost every Nels Cline album that I've heard contains material that is accessible (I'm assuming "accessible" in this context means something along the lines of "listener friendly") and material that is definitely not accessible. A couple more to consider are "Destroy All Nels Cline" and "The Inkling".

suggestions? i heard his new one might be good.

craig

If you are a guitar geek like me and/or like free, experimental Jazz (I guess you can call it that), then check out "Giant Pin" or "Draw Breath".... Holy crap.. That's all I can say..

And if you really want to start to get weird:

get some:

Instellar Space Revisted

Four Guitars Live.

But might I also mention The Geraldine Fibbers's "Butch" that he plays in after becoming a band member in 1997. It's out of print, but you can get it through amazon dealers very cheap (I got mine for $ 2 plus shipping). It's really a great record.

Moreover,

I am hoping to get the CD Nels plays with Vinny Golia.

Good luck!

I really got into Nels's non-Wilco work last summer. I still have a lot to explore, but so far the best word I can think to describe my reaction to it has been dumbfounded. I love what he's brought to Wilco, but his work with the band really only shows a small part of his range. There's such an amazing level of artistry in his playing. There are some pieces that aren't immediately accessible, but he's one of those artists who if you're willing to work a little to listen to, you're almost always rewarded. I think Instrumentals is my favorite Singers album. I highly recommend all three of them, though.

There's some great footage of a Geraldine Fibbers show from 1997 on YouTube, including this really gorgeous performance of Lilybelle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqVb9Hv6YPQ I think I prefer the Nels-less Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home to Butch, but they're both good albums, and I think I paid less than $5 including shipping for both of them on ebay.