From Billboard.com:

John Doe: New X Songs In The Works

John Doe is heading out on the road with X in May.

May 06, 2009 01:18 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

American punk icons X haven't released an album of new material since "Hey Zeus!" in 1993. But that might change soon.

"Exene (Cervenka) and I actually wrote a couple songs," singer-bassist John Doe, who also works with the X singer (his ex-wife) in the Knitters, tells Billboard.com. "There are two or three songs we're going to do sooner or later. We might get another X record at some point."

But Doe quickly adds that in today's download-happy musical climate, "What's the point? People don't really release records in a traditional sense, so if we do it we'll probably just put it on the web site and people can download it. Maybe we'll get (the songs) into a TV show or something."

Doe says one of the songs, "Somewhere Gone," features a lyric Cervenka wrote for her next solo album. The duo also wrote "It Just Dawned on Me," for "Country Club," Doe's new covers-heavy country collaboration with the Sadies. "We wrote that just before we recorded ('Country Club')," Doe recalls. "I think the Knitters will probably record that someday. We've been doing a version (Cervenka) sings lead on, which is really good."

Doe -- who's currently on the road with the Sadies -- says he doubts any of the new songs will make it into X's concerts when the group tours starting May 26 in Boston (after a May 17 stop at All Tomorrow's Parties in England), but the group's repertoire will be expanding this time out. X is using its web site to let fans vote for what they'd like to hear, and Doe says he'll examine the poll results and formulate a set list from their choices.

"We've probably played about 35 songs in the set for the last four or five years," he explains, "and I thought we should just sort of open it up. We chose another 10 songs and then put them all on a list so people could vote on what songs they'd like to hear us play. There's some surprises, like 'The Have Nots;' that's, like in the top five for every show so far."

Doe says he's also considering a second volume of "Country Club," getting to some songs he and the Sadies considered. "We tried 'Act Naturally' and 'The Race is On,' and I couldn't deliver," Doe says. "But there's a lot of other stuff we talked about and that I think we could do a good job with. I think we all had a good enough time, so I hope we can do it again."

I see John Doe and Gene Simmons have something in common:

But Doe quickly adds that in today's download-happy musical climate, "What's the point? People don't really release records in a traditional sense, so if we do it we'll probably just put it on the web site and people can download it. Maybe we'll get (the songs) into a TV show or something."

It's also interesting to me that more and more bands are picking what songs they are going to play by way of people voting on their websites.

• 2 weeks later...

X are swinging in to Chapel Hill again next week!

I caught them last year on the 30th Anniversary Tour and loved it! Billy Zoom makes it look too easy. He can leer at women and break off a chunky riff w/o even blinking. I know, I was almost close enough to touch his guitar the last time. :)

Kevin

X is 6/17 @ the Majestic in Detroit.

Just saw John Doe w/ the Sadies last week. Great show in a tiny club for $15. ridiculous really when you consider bands not even half as talented sell out stadiums for 3x more per ticket.

Also saw him open for Wilco in Cleveland last year. He had a woman who could have been Exene's daughter (in looks and age) singing backup. He always seem to pop a couple of X sounding songs into his solo stuff.