Noice.

I saw them back in '93 and they were excellent. Both John and Exene still were in full voice.

Is Billy back with them for this tour? It was Tony when I saw them, who is no slouch himself. But there's just something about seeing a band with their original lineup that makes it extra special.

• 1 month later...

The X show in the Cabooze on Saturday was a blast. They put on a very tight live set, and Johnny Zoom is fun to watch as a guitar player. He makes it seem just effortless, and is constantly smiling and winking at the crowd. It was a high energy show and the crowd loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

official site

X Happy On Tour, But New Music Is 'Daunting'

John Doe

April 03, 2008, 3:35 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

The current reunion of L.A. punk rock icons X may yield some new music, according to singer/bassist John Doe.

"Exene (Cervenka) and I are talking about trying to write some X songs," Doe tells Billboard.com. "We're going to take it a step at a time, see how this (tour) goes, and if we're all enjoying ourselves and feeling creative, then we'll continue. We'll just have to do it when we have the time."

Doe says that even though the band -- which also includes original guitarist Billy Zoom and drummer DJ Bonebrake -- sounds hot these days, the notion of new material, X's first since "Hey Zeus!" in 1993, is still intimidating.

"It is a little bit of a daunting adventure," he acknowledges. "It's like, 'Alright, you've got to write X songs like you did 20 years ago, 30 years ago.' 'Huh?1' 'OK...let's see how this goes...' But I think if you direct whatever creativity you have towards a certain project, you'll come up with something. You just have to decide if it's good enough."

Doe says X decided to mount a 31st anniversary tour this year partly because "it's the mirror reflection of 13, which is a number we've used over and over again," and partly -- or perhaps mostly -- because "we couldn't quite pull it off for the 30th anniversary. We wanted to have a little more planning."

X is looking at a full year of touring both in North America and abroad. But Doe doesn't expect a new anthology or other archival releases beyond what's already available -- including expanded editions of the group's first six studio albums. "To have those around is great," Doe says. "Everyone is at risk of being forgotten, so the fact we have those re-released individual records with bonus tracks and a couple anthologies, that's enough."

Doe says X has been recording some of the shows on the tour, and one of the group's South by Southwest appearances was broadcast by DirectTV, but there are no plans for a live release from the tour yet, either

April 9

Belly-Up

Solana Beach CA

April 10

The Musicbox @ Henry Fonda Theatre

Los Angeles CA

w/ SKYBOMBERS

April 11

The Musicbox @ Henry Fonda Theatre

Los Angeles CA

w/ THE HEAD CAT

April 12

House Of Blues

Las Vegas NV

May 15

Majestic Theatre

Detroit MI

May 16

Bogart's

Cincinnati OH

May 17

House Of Blues

Cleveland OH

May 18

Newport Music Hall

Columbus OH

May 20

Paradise Rock Club

Boston MA

May 21

9:30 Club

Washington DC

May 23

Rex Theatre

Pittsburgh PA

May 24

The Fillmore New York @ Irving Plaza

NYC NY

May 27

Cat's Cradle

Carrboro NC

May 28

Orange Peel

Asheville NC

May 29

Variety Playhouse

Atlanta GA

May 30

Beta Bar

Tallahassee FL

May 31

House Of Blues

New Orleans LA

June 2

La Zona Rosa

Austin TX

June 3

Warehouse Live

Houston TX

June 6

Santa Fe Brewing Company

Santa Fe NM

June 7

Rialto Theatre

Tucson AZ

If the St. Louis shows don't completely wipe me out, there's a chance I may stop to see them in Columbus on my way home. That's about the halfway point between here and there, and I'd really like to see them.

Tallhassee's music scene has gotten so much better since I lived there. I had a great time while I was there, but I think I'd enjoy it even more now.

Aren't these guys about as old the Rolling Stones??

LouieB

Exene Cervenka (born Christine Cervenka February 1, 1956 - Illinois)

John Doe (born John Nommensen Duchac on February 25, 1953 in Decatur, Illinois)

Billy Zoom ( born Tyson Kindell on February 20, 1948, in Savanna, Illinois)

Donald J. "DJ" Bonebrake ? (L.A.)

Charles Robert "Charlie" Watts (born 2 June 1941)

Sir Michael Phillip "Mick" Jagger (born July 26, 1943)

Keith Richards (born 18 December 1943)

Ronald David "Ronnie" Wood (born 1 June 1947 in Hillingdon, London)

Exene Cervenka (born Christine Cervenka February 1, 1956 - Illinois)

John Doe (born John Nommensen Duchac on February 25, 1953 in Decatur, Illinois)

Billy Zoom ( born Tyson Kindell on February 20, 1948, in Savanna, Illinois)

Donald J. "DJ" Bonebrake ? (L.A.)

Charles Robert "Charlie" Watts (born 2 June 1941)

Sir Michael Phillip "Mick" Jagger (born July 26, 1943)

Keith Richards (born 18 December 1943)

Ronald David "Ronnie" Wood (born 1 June 1947 in Hillingdon, London)

God, you're good. I wish I could hire you to work for me, but my benefits suck.

I saw X a few years ago, and they were tight, loud and powerful. Seeing them again next month and I can't wait!!!

Edit: Wait. Are you telling me Billy Zoom is 60????

God, you're good. I wish I could hire you to work for me, but my benefits suck.

I saw X a few years ago, and they were tight, loud and powerful. Seeing them again next month and I can't wait!!!

Edit: Wait. Are you telling me Billy Zoom is 60????

I still wonder why some people accept the ages of some bands/band members and not others.

All of the photos of Exene on her website are old ones - which I also find interesting.

I think all old bands are cool...unless they have gotten lame (literally and figuratively.)

Although when I saw Dave Thomas of Pere Ubu and Rocket from the Tombs a few years ago he walked with a cane and was still cool.

LouieB

I think all old bands are cool...unless they have gotten lame (literally and figuratively.)

Although when I saw Dave Thomas of Pere Ubu and Rocket from the Tombs a few years ago he walked with a cane and was still cool.

LouieB

After watching some film on their (X that is) website - I'd say they don't sound all that great.

After watching some film on their (X that is) website - I'd say they don't sound all that great.
Meanwhile the Rolling Stones have a movie out made with Martin Scorsese...

LouieB

Springsteen's rapidly approaching 60 and still hangs upside down on microphone stands and plays sets at least as long as Wilco, sometimes longer.

Springsteen's rapidly approaching 60 and still hangs upside down on microphone stands and plays sets at least as long as Wilco, sometimes longer.
Bruce and I are virtually the same age....all power to the Boss.... :lol

LouieB