For solo acoustic songs

I've been primarily a lead guitarist my whole life, but I've also been a lead singer/song writer of a few bands as well.

I have been throwing around the idea of doing some gigging as a solo acoustic singer/guitarist. My problem is, I need some more tunes to cover. I plan to do some writing, but I also want to have a large catalog of covers.

Anyone have any ideas for tunes or artists to cover? Anyone other than Wilco and Beatles because I already know dozens of their tunes.

Thanks friends. :thumbup

Just write down your favorite songs of all time, and learn the top 100 or so. You'll be living in your favorite jukebox every single time you play, and the joy of that will be infectious. As I'm sure you well know, the crowd knows when you're going through the motions. Play what you love, and people will enjoy it all the more. Just be sure to add a couple of Wham! songs... :lol

Just write down your favorite songs of all time, and learn the top 100 or so. You'll be living in your favorite jukebox every single time you play, and the joy of that will be infectious. As I'm sure you well know, the crowd knows when you're going through the motions. Play what you love, and people will enjoy it all the more. Just be sure to add a couple of Wham! songs... :lol

Great advice. Thank you. :thumbup

I would recommend you try to find a couple tunes that people would think are outside of your primary genre. For example, I sometimes like to play a cover of "Time After Time" because it's not what you'd expect in the middle of a folk-rock set.

But then again, I'm very picky about covers and stuff. I feel like when you play a cover, you are sort of duty-bound to make an effort reinvent the song somehow or else you're just making money off someone else's song, ya know? But if you play "Straight Outta Compton" on your pedal steel, or go superacoustic on a Megadeth song, then you're OK because you're bringing your own perspective to the song. Which to me is more of a compliment to the songwriter than just a straightforward cover.

Obviously this doesn't HAVE to happen with a song that's outside your genre, I'd be lying if I said I've never done a Ryan Adams or Wilco cover. However, I do think it's helpful to try to look for something different and make it your own. I think an easier place to start than gangsta rap or metal is actually to look at reinterpreting some of the slower 60s tunes a la Motown, "Whiter Shade of Pale" and songs like that included.

Just an idea to kick around. I really love getting to hear a great, original cover.

I would recommend you try to find a couple tunes that people would think are outside of your primary genre. For example, I sometimes like to play a cover of "Time After Time" because it's not what you'd expect in the middle of a folk-rock set.

But then again, I'm very picky about covers and stuff. I feel like when you play a cover, you are sort of duty-bound to make an effort reinvent the song somehow or else you're just making money off someone else's song, ya know? But if you play "Straight Outta Compton" on your pedal steel, or go superacoustic on a Megadeth song, then you're OK because you're bringing your own perspective to the song. Which to me is more of a compliment to the songwriter than just a straightforward cover.

Obviously this doesn't HAVE to happen with a song that's outside your genre, I'd be lying if I said I've never done a Ryan Adams or Wilco cover. However, I do think it's helpful to try to look for something different and make it your own. I think an easier place to start than gangsta rap or metal is actually to look at reinterpreting some of the slower 60s tunes a la Motown, "Whiter Shade of Pale" and songs like that included.

Just an idea to kick around. I really love getting to hear a great, original cover.

Great advice...just how id put it...theres nothing better than sitting in a audience and hearing someone do a cover version that makes you stop for a second, realize what it is, and go "oh, cool!' Take a song and make it your own...

My girlfriend told me to say that she likes Tori Amos' version of the police's 'wrapped around your finger' as an example

j

I would recommend you try to find a couple tunes that people would think are outside of your primary genre.

My band actually does a few of those. We play Queens "Under Pressure", and at the end, we go into a full verse/chorus of Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby" because both songs share the same bass line.. Yeah, it's cheesy as hell, but it always gets a great crowd response.. It's always a big hit! :lol

i couldnt agree more, make sure to have at least one of those songs that nobody expects (how bout that hey ya cover on youtube lol) But for folk, Bob Dylan, how bout some of his lesser known songs like love minus zero/no limit, or you shoud take a page from dave grohl and do everlong acoustic

i couldnt agree more, make sure to have at least one of those songs that nobody expects (how bout that hey ya cover on youtube lol) But for folk, Bob Dylan, how bout some of his lesser known songs like love minus zero/no limit, or you shoud take a page from dave grohl and do everlong acoustic

Heck yeah.. And that acoustic version of Everlong was actually played at my wedding.. I'm not the biggest Foo fan in the world, but that is a great song and version indeed..

Heck yeah.. And that acoustic version of Everlong was actually played at my wedding.. I'm not the biggest Foo fan in the world, but that is a great song and version indeed..

its one of those songs that takes on an entire new meaning when played slower with an acoustic guitar lol, all kidding aside its tremendous acoustic you should give it a try, plus anyone under 25 in the room should know it

Oh man, that would be awesome. Can someone post the chords to Straight Outta Compaton - acoustic version? :lol

Man, that would be hilarious!

My band once attempted to cover "Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground.. We were actually playing a pretty big, high profile gig so I don't know what we were were thinking (alcohol had a lot to do with it).. At the part where he says "Hey Fat Girl! C'mere, are you ticklish!?", our singer pointed to the crowd.. Well, that pissed off a group of girls, and it was all downhill from there.. One of the funniest moments of my life.. I had trouble finishing the show from laughing so damn hard..

Not bad:

That is realy nice

I've been thinking of the same thing (and I'm sure this has been thought of before), but my wife and I have been attendig these folk music jams once a week, where we all get in a circle and call a tune as our turn comes around. We sing and play mostly folk but all is welcome. Anyhoo, Ive been thinking of converting some punk to folk and vice versa. It should be a fun exercise.

I also like doing Gear Daddies, and Replacement/Westerberg songs. thats always nice.

If any of you are ever going to a show and want to jam prior or after i'd be in...

yeah