Jazzmaster for an AJ???

Ohhhhhh ... what to do? I have a trade offer. My '06 Gibson Advanced Jumbo for his '77 Jazzmaster (my birth year, BTW).

Now, I'm an acoustic guy at heart but I do love to rip on electric. Lately, I've totally turned over my pedal board (bought pretty much completely new stuff) and started jamming weekly which has made my electric GAS start to percolate for the first time in years.

I dunno ... I really, really love that AJ. I had a LR Baggs M1A installed at Christmas and sounds like a million bucks ... but I only paid $1500 for it. Seems like I'd be getting a pretty sweet deal on the Jazzmaster (which tops my list for electrics I would love to own). Thoughts?

I'd get it. For one I love Jazzmasters and playing electric, but for two and probably equally important the vintage Jazzmaster is going to be harder to come by in the long run and you probably won't have the same opportunity getting that guitar. An '06 Gibson is a little more replaceable if you get a hankering to get another one down the line.

From what information I can find, a '77 Jazzmaster (year of my birth as well) is worth b/w $2,200 and $2, 300 -- of course, there are a lot of variables, and custom finishes would raise the value even more . A new basic Advanced Jumbo goes for $2,000, and you paid less than that. As noted before, a new Jumbo would be pretty easy to come by. Vintage Jazzmasters -- well, not so much. You noted that the Jazzmaster is your favorite electric guitar out there, and you can get it in a straight-up trade for a less valuable guitar that can easily be replaced. As great a guitar as the Jumbo is, I'm not sure this is even a close call.

I agree with you guys that conventional wisdom says take the Jazzmaster. You'd think it would be a no brainer and I don't anticipate that I would regret it in the long run. The book value of the Jazzmaster is even a little low, IMO. I have been looking at them off and on & they are difficult to find at a dealer for under $3K even for the late 70's models (I've seen some for as high as $3.5 - $4K).

I just really, really love that AJ. I play it all the time through amps, PA's, unplugged in my living room ... hell, I basically live with that guitar in my hands. I played probably a dozen AJ's before I found the one the sounded and felt "right" to me. But, I do have several other acoustics including another Gibson, so I'm sure I could adjust.

Yes all guitars are different especially acoustics. There are just so many factors that influence the sound of an acoustic guitar. Every piece of wood is different and produces its own unique tone. I could find another AJ that I liked but it wouldn't be exactly the same as the one I'm letting go.

But, I have been really digging my Strat, pedalboard and amp lately. I've been playing fingerstyle and writing on acoustic for so long that I almost forgot what it feels like to jam crazy and loud. It's a blast .

Can you tell I'm having trouble reconciling this situation?

In my last post, I went over all the logical reasons to go through with the trade, and it sounds like you have certainly considered all of these reasons and more before starting the thread. Still, you are hesitant to pull the trigger. Your brain is telling you to get the Jazzmaster, but your heart can't seem to let go of the Jumbo. I've got to change my recommendation on this one -- stick with the Jumbo. It sounds like you have a guitar you absolutely love. It doesn't matter if it's a Mexican-made Strat; if you love the guitar and it feels right, nothing else can replace it. Sure, there will probably be days when you wish you had the Jazzmaster, but it sounds like you'd really miss the Jumbo. Even though the Jazzmaster is rarer, based on your previous posts, it sounds like another Jumbo could never replace the one you have now. Maybe one day you'll run across another Jazzmaster when you're able to acquire it without giving up your Jumbo.

Yeah I have a few guitars but most are not of much value to anyone but me :rolleyes

As far as "good" guitars go, I have my Strat which I really can't part with, a '98 Gibson WM-00 that was a 30th birthday gift from my wife (so that one stays) and the AJ. I have a few low end acoustics which are nice but not particularly valuable (my Harmony H165 is a good example ... I dig that guitar in a big way but it's worth like $300 tops). So, it's pretty much lose the AJ or pass on the JM. It's a tough decision but as "problems" go I think I can handle it.

I'll let you guys know how things shake down. I'm waiting for photos ... if it's a tortoise guard JM I'm probably gonna take it. Generally those were made of lighter wood than the black guard models and were put together a little more carefully IIRC (probably because they were older stock).

Think of it this way: potentially, you're trading your AJ for a guitar that's worth more, but doesn't have the mojo. You could then turn around and sell the Jazzmaster, and make yourself a decent sized profit. But what then? Money comes and goes, but truly great guitars come around very rarely. Your guitar is obviously great, because your friend is willing to give up a guitar that's worth considerably more for it.

Stick with the AJ. That's my take.

I've bought many guitars in my days. I'll say what others have said -- it doesn't matter if it's price, name...whatever. You gotta have that one to speak to you. The mojo is what counts. If you love that AJ, don't get rid of it cause the Jazzmaster will be worth more later or something. What if it is worth more and you love it to death? Are you gonna sell it for $5k in 10 years? Stick with the AJ.