• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TwinTowers.jpg

If ever there was an event that required people to become more intelligent, not less, it was 9/11.

Thanks. I remember driving across the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge on my way to work that day thinking, "If anything good comes of this, it'll be that we as Americans will stop fighting over picayune shit so much and put a little bit more emphasis on what happens in the rest of the world." :rotfl

Guest Speed Racer
If I take her quote literally.....that she's never been proud of America until now.....that pisses me off and offends me. America has had many huge warts over its hundreds of years, but for anyone to not have been proud of America in their lifetime, that's just crazy talk.

You keep missing the SUPERLATIVE of the quote! If you do take it literally (which you keep not doing, yourself), she says really proud of her country.

An application:

I've liked hummus my whole life. Tastes great, can go with lots of things.

Man, this place downstairs from my office - for the first time, I really like hummus. Totally changed my perception on hummus. WOW. Really like this stuff.

A question:

How did I feel about hummus before I went to this place downstairs? Does the second statement of my application at all allude to or detract from my first statement?

If ever there was an event that required people to become more intelligent, not less, it was 9/11.

I guess I am hyper-sensitive, so excuse my point to solace, but if there ever was an event that could be accurately described by reference to its moniker it would be 9/11. Posting pics of exploding planes and burning bldgs -- certainly in this context -- is gratuitous and in poor taste.

And I hate when people get on their high horses, but we all have our weaknesses I guess. This one's mine. Ignore me because I probably deserve it.

EDIT: i thought more about it and i am an idiot. I'm sorry. It just strikes a chord with me, but I need to get over it.

I guess I am hyper-sensitive, so excuse my point to solace, but if there ever was an event that could be accurately described by reference to its moniker it would be 9/11. Posting pics of exploding planes and burning bldgs -- certainly in this context -- is gratuitous and in poor taste.

And I hate when people get on their high horses, but we all have our weaknesses I guess. This one's mine. Ignore me because I probably deserve it.

EDIT: i thought more about it and i am an idiot. I'm sorry. It just strikes a chord with me, but I need to get over it.

I hear you, man. I get pissed at the History Channel when they run stupid Nostradamus shows with 9/11 footage in them. They are strong images, and need to be used responsibly.

with all of the starpower she is connected to, you'd think they'd have a better singer - that was TERRIBLE!!

Than again, I am not sure if it's for real or what?!?!?

I'm assuming it's supporter-generated content, but being THAT bad it could very well be part of the vast right-wing conspiracy against her.

:brow

I would buy these shirts quick, if I was going to buy one. They are pretty blatantly violating teams' trademarks.

Ignore the stuff I posted about Michelle Obama. My comments were taken out of context.

My favorite part of O'Reilly's "apology" was when he insisted that no offense was intended and that "context is everything." Context is everything. Unless, apparently, you are trying to hate on Michelle Obama. Irony is just so damn cool.

My favorite part of O'Reilly's "apology" was when he insisted that no offense was intended and that "context is everything." Context is everything. Unless, apparently, you are trying to hate on Michelle Obama. Irony is just so damn cool.

Not sure what "apology" you refer to.

btw I am not defending or supporting O'Reilly.

BUT when she decides (SHE, not his campaign) what context it was meant, will she let us know?

Yes, irony is cool.

Guest Speed Racer
BUT when she decides (SHE, not his campaign) what context it was meant, will she let us know?

If it's not clear to you, I have to believe your only exposure to her words was that (para)phrase alone, and not the actual speech.

Within the context of the speech, it was very rah-rah America! Rah-rah! Change! You like my husband, therefore you want change, and there are so damned many of you I think we can finally get the change we want! Wahoo! For the first time in my adult life, I am very proud of my country because of all of my preceding statements! Wahoo!

wow. owpgh.jpg :stunned

Meet the new boss

Same as the old boss

If it's not clear to you, I have to believe your only exposure to her words was that (para)phrase alone, and not the actual speech.

Exactly. I saw the entire speech, and within context that line's intended meaning was obvious. It requires no further explanation. Why should Michelle Obama clarify a perfectly clear statement? It's not her fault people are trying to be stupid.

Not sure what "apology" you refer to.

O'Reilly Apologizes

BTW, I don't think O'Reilly deserves to be fired or is necessarily a racist... he's just a bonehead, oblivious to the connotations of such phrasing. And he clarified that Michelle Obama was guilty of nothing, that her comment, in context, was "only referring to politics."

"Let's have a real campaign. Enough with the speeches and big rallies and then using tactics that are right out of Karl Rove's playbook"

The sheer hypocrisy of this person is startling. After months of consistently sleazy and shameful campaigning, she actually has the nerve to say "shame on you" to Barack Obama?