Can music change the world?

we can argue semantics, relative to whether the song itself or the song making someone act can change the world...but if music was a catalyst for change, whether it was solely responsible or not, it still changed something.

what about sales/proceeds from a particular song, album, concert, etc going to a particular charity and/or issue? if the songs weren't there, there would be no album and/or show for said funds to be distributed from.

we can argue semantics, relative to whether the song itself or the song making someone act can change the world...but if music was a catalyst for change, whether it was solely responsible or not, it still changed something.

what about sales/proceeds from a particular song, album, concert, etc going to a particular charity and/or issue? if the songs weren't there, there would be no album and/or show for said funds to be distributed from.

True. Concert For Bangladesh, Live Aid, etc. and songs like "Let Them Know It's Christmas" all do this. I also find myself agreeing (to an extent) with goldensmog that NY comes off as a little bitter because he noticed no change when his agenda fell short of the mark. Well, it's NY's take none the less and I disagree with him.

A few people have mentioned that music can be a catylst for change and this is my tack. Just like a book or a speech or a thought that turns into a worthwhile cause/invention. I think a better and truer way to look at it is that music has the potential to impact and change (and has indirectly) the world.

True. Concert For Bangladesh, Live Aid, etc. and songs like "Let Them Know It's Christmas" all do this. I also find myself agreeing (to an extent) with goldensmog that NY comes off as a little bitter because he noticed no change when his agenda fell short of the mark. Well, it's NY's take none the less and I disagree with him.

A few people have mentioned that music can be a catylst for change and this is my tack. Just like a book or a speech or a thought that turns into a worthwhile cause/invention. I think a better and truer way to look at it is that music has the potential to impact and change (and has indirectly) the world.

However, there is still massive poverty and hunger in Africa and Bangladesh. These events draw/drew attention to an issue and increase public awareness, but have they really changed anything?

There's a certain amount of narcissism in the ARTISTE as the grand savior and savant. Music is important, but Abraham Lincoln and Karl Marx couldn't sing for shit.

However, there is still massive poverty and hunger in Africa and Bangladesh. These events draw/drew attention to an issue and increase public awareness, but have they really changed anything?

big difference between 'change' and 'resolve' and/or 'abolish'...these events also raised funds, funds that wouldn't have been there otherwise and at least, helped to change the scope of the problem.

There's a certain amount of narcissism in the ARTISTE as the grand savior and savant. Music is important, but Abraham Lincoln and Karl Marx couldn't sing for shit.

The guy who invented the toilet didn't sing either, yet his invention formed from a notion and changed the world for the better.

big difference between 'change' and 'resolve' and/or 'abolish'...these events also raised funds, funds that wouldn't have been there otherwise and at least, helped to change the scope of the problem.

Teach a man to build a fire...you keep him warm for a day.

Set a man on fire...he'll be warm the rest of his life. :monkey

okay.

Just saying...

Not one much for navel gazing...

I have said this before, but certainly in bringing an end to racial segregation and helping bring blacks and whites together, music changed the world; first swing music in the 30s and jazz and R&B in the 40s and finally rock and roll in the 50s. I don't know what Neil is expecting, but while there isn't one single song that changed the world, musical movements certainly changed people's attitudes and singing helped keep people strong during times of struggle.

LouieB

super.

if you could see my navel...you'd understand