Can music change the world?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=08...;show_article=1

Music cannot change the world, says Neil Young

Canadian folk rock legend Neil Young said he has lost all hope that music can change the world, as he presented a documentary about his 2006 anti-war concert tour at the Berlin film festival on Friday.

"I know that the time when music could change the world is past. I really doubt that a single song can make a difference. It is a reality," Young told reporters.

"I don't think the tour had any impact on voters."

But the silver-haired frontman of the sixties supergroup Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young nonetheless dealt US President George W. Bush a stinging, back-handed insult and said his own "naive" urge to make people think remains intact.

"What is wrong with George Bush? That would take a really long time. Let's talk about what is right with him, it is a much shorter answer.

"He is a very good physical specimen. He shows that a man his age can stay in physical condition," said Young, who is 62.

He made no distinction between the Vietnam War, during which CSNY first earned their reputation as political activists, and the US-led war in Iraq which their tour condemned with songs like "Let's Impeach The President".

"It is all the same war and it hurts everybody. It's a wrong way to solve a problem," he said, adding that Americans were deluded if they thought they were liberating Iraq.

"We just don't have to go and spread democracy around the world."

Young said he deliberately included interviews with unimpressed critics and soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan in the documentary of his band's "Freedom of Speech" reunion tour, which earned them both praise and death threats.

"Otherwise I thought it would just feel like a bunch of old hippies. And nobody would care. I would not, I would have left," said Young, who directs his films under the pseudonym Bernard Shakey.

"I wanted to serve the people who came to see the shows, to serve the soldiers who fought in the war and to serve the people who started the war. It sounds naive but everybody has to make a decision in their hearts about how they want to live."

"CSNY: Deja Vu", which borrows its title from an album the band released in 1970, had its world premier at the Sundance Film Festival in January.

It is screening in the Berlinale Special section of the Berlin festival, which has this year made music a headline act by bringing The Rolling Stones, Madonna and rock poetess Patti Smith to town.

Martin Scorcese's Stones concert film "Shine A Light" opened the festival with a bang on Thursday night and the Oscar-winning director said he wanted to pay tribute to the vintage rockers as they had inspired his work from "Mean Streets" through to "The Departed."

Coming days will see screenings of Madonna's directorial debut, "Filth and Wisdom," movies about Sudanese hip-hop artists and Argentinian tango and "Om Shanti Om", the Bollywood song and dance blockbuster.

Patti Smith will attend a screening of a documentary on her career and play a sold-out concert on the festival sidelines.

Young, who managed the quirky feat of singing every line of dialogue in his 2003 film "Greendale" said music was a "primal subject" for the movies.

But the genre has changed little in his time, he added.

"I have not seen tremendous growth, any evolution really. From the Sinatra years, The Who's 'The Kids Are Alright' ... directors have always made films about music culture. There have been some great ones though."

I think it's more of a cultural thing than just the music.

If Kent State happened in 2007 and CSNY wrote Ohio today, I don't think it would have nearly the same effect.

My students and I were talking in class the other day about how activism has changed over time (I teach college writing). We'd read an essay by Ian Frazier called "All Consuming Patriotism" in which he talks about how Americans used to feel called to action, so they'd give of their time and do whatever they could to help (he was talking specifically about the women in the Soldiers' Aid during the Civil War). Now, in the wake of tragedy, our government tells us to carry on with normal life. When people used to disagree with something, they'd protest or rally or march. Now they just create a group about it on Facebook or go buy something to show they support a cause, then get on with their daily lives. It's disheartening that activism has changed so much.

As a side point, Bob Dylan figured this out back in 1964/5.

very true.

on another side point. all of neil's recent quotes, the tour, and album def. have fostered some dialog over the last year and a half. this seems to have been his point.

craig

Music never could change the world, only good ideas can do that.

If Neil Young had written songs with great ideas related to the Iraq war / occupation then maybe they would change something. But I must've missed his track, "Form a loose confederacy in Iraq with semi-autonomous regions for Shia, Sunni and Kurd" or his song "maybe it's time to give the UN a chance" etc etc.

Point is, you can't just say "Get out of Iraq! War is bad!" and then be surprised when nobody listens. "Don't invade Iraq!" somehow written very well and widely played, might have had a chance... But you can't just offer facile vagueries in response to complex problems, and then expect people to somehow magically implement them. So personally I would not say that music has failed to solve the problem of the occupation of Iraq. It's an intellectual / diplomatic / political failure to craft a reasonable solution.

So screw you Neil Young. Think of a worthwhile idea and get back to us, ok? Maybe music can change the world. Just not YOUR music, ya bitter old hippy.

Music never could change the world, only good ideas can do that.

If Neil Young had written songs with great ideas related to the Iraq war / occupation then maybe they would change something. But I must've missed his track, "Form a loose confederacy in Iraq with semi-autonomous regions for Shia, Sunni and Kurd" or his song "maybe it's time to give the UN a chance" etc etc.

Point is, you can't just say "Get out of Iraq! War is bad!" and then be surprised when nobody listens. "Don't invade Iraq!" somehow written very well and widely played, might have had a chance... But you can't just offer facile vagueries in response to complex problems, and then expect people to somehow magically implement them. So personally I would not say that music has failed to solve the problem of the occupation of Iraq. It's an intellectual / diplomatic / political failure to craft a reasonable solution.

So screw you Neil Young. Think of a worthwhile idea and get back to us, ok? Maybe music can change the world. Just not YOUR music, ya bitter old hippy.

Wow...that was harsh.

But there is a sense of self importance to the idea that music can change anything. Generally, musicians are preaching to the choir. They are continually reinforced that THEIR ideas matter by the media and hangers on; therefore, it comes as a surprise when theire grand pronouncements are met with studied silence.

People ususally lose the sense that they are the center of the Universe and their every pronouncement matters at the age of three.

Music may not be able to change "the" world but it certainly has the power to change "my" world. Thanks Neil. B)

i love your avatar. where did you get it? :worship

neil has also changed my world. too many times to number.

craig

I've always been enamored with someone who has a real grasp of language, and who can deliver a good political speech. That said, people generally will let speeches just go in one ear and out the other. After all, they're just politicians. For ideas to truly inspire it has to hit the heart as well as the head. This is why any significant change must come from the poet, the artist, the musician. They are the ones who have the ability to wake people up from their stupor.

I find it humorous that he believed music could ever have "changed the world", correct me if I'm wrong but no song ever "changed the world. Sure music can help good ideas get out there and help people feel better about the world they live in; but change the world? On top of that the material he was expecting to make change was poorly produced and featured a godawful choir. That being said some of the songs are good but probably would have been served better by attacking them differently.

I can't say doing a concert tour and charing astronomical prices does much for changing the world either.

Sure music can help good ideas get out there and help people feel better about the world they live in; but change the world?

Once upon a time you dressed so fine

You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?

People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"

You thought they were all kiddin' you

You used to laugh about

Everybody that was hangin' out

Now you don't talk so loud

Now you don't seem so proud

About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel

How does it feel

To be without a home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely

But you know you only used to get juiced in it

And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street

And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it

You said you'd never compromise

With the mystery tramp, but now you realize

He's not selling any alibis

As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes

And ask him do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel

How does it feel

To be on your own

With no direction home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns

When they all come down and did tricks for you

You never understood that it ain't no good

You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you

You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat

Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat

Ain't it hard when you discover that

He really wasn't where it's at

After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel

How does it feel

To be on your own

With no direction home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people

They're drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made

Exchanging all kinds of precious gifts and things

But you'd better lift your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe

You used to be so amused

At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used

Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse

When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose

You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel

How does it feel

To be on your own

With no direction home

Like a complete unknown

Like a rolling stone?

How did "Like A Rolling Stone" change the world?

It might have made western rock music fans feel better about going out into this big old world but how did it change the world?

What about The Beatles? Didn't their music change the world? Remember, Beatlemania was a world wide thing, not just in America. I think it had a huge effect on the youth and in turn shaped them as adults.

What about The Beatles? Didn't their music change the world? Remember, Beatlemania was a world wide thing, not just in America. I think it had a huge effect on the youth and in turn shaped them as adults.

Yep. When the Fabs went from black and white to technicolor so did the rest of the world. Here's a question: would the Beatles evolved the way they did if Mr. Zimmerman hadn't turned them on? Hmmm...

again shaping people is not changing the world. the world envisioned in the songs is nothing like the world of today. they definitely had a positive impact and will continue you to but I don't call that changing the world.

And in reply to Mountainbed no way would they have been the same. Probably would have kept singing silly love songs.

What if the music puts the good ideas into action?
That's exactly my point! I think music can convey good ideas, but without those ideas, then you shouldn't expect music to change anything. And you're also hitting on the right point, that music can only "point the way" for certain actions.

I personally pour tons of energy and time into music and find some music really uplifting -- one particular Wilco concert I attended was basically a religious experience, for example -- but at the same time I think that problems like poverty, AIDS, human trafficking etc are complex social issues. No song is going to conjure up social institutions that are effective and enjoy popular support, single-handedly.

So your best-case is that music will help the world pay attention to certain things, or encourage people to take certain actions... But music alone is not enough and really can't be enough. It needs to be able to tap into some kind of real-world framework in order for that energy, inspiration, creativity to get channeled into real change.