The Saint Genevieve Fund

Just another quick update. We had originally said the end of this week would be the cut-off for contributions, but if anyone thinks that they need a bit more time to get their donation in order, please feel free to PM me and we can extend that.

We're now at $1200+ and I think we can get it to $2000 by the end of the week.

Again, thanks very much to all who've contributed. :cheekkiss

:lol

Judy, that post and your new avatar are just two more reasons for me to be madly in love with you. Laura!!! :wub

I just ordered the complete Dr. Katz on DVD as a birthday present to myself. Best. Show. Ever.

• 4 weeks later...

OK!!! Amongst other things that I'm not getting to in a timely manner these days...

The final-final total for the contribution to Planned Parenthood in Austin, in honor of Natalie, was $2,000.00. :dancing :worship :thumbup :monkey :cheekkiss

Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I know that Natalie would be thrilled, and that she'd give you all big sloppy kisses, and then probably say something inappropriately filthy.

I also wanted to remind you all that even though the official-official VC funds have been sent in, there's no reason that folks who feel moved to do so can't continue to make donations in Natalie's memory. Details on the knitting project, and making donations to Planned Parenthood or to the midwife scholarship fund set up by Nat's sister, are right here:

4. Anyone who'd prefer to do so can donate directly to Planned Parenthood. We do ask that you attach a note to your donation to indicate that this gift is in honor of Natalie Jacobs.

Donations to Planned Parenthood are tax deductible.

Also: some of the craftier VCers have been knitting preemie hats to send to a children's hospital in Portland. Anyone who'd like to contribute to that cause as well, check out this thread.

Hi guys,

Natalie's sister has set up a scholarship fund in honor of Natalie at Birthingway College of Midwifery in Portland, the school Natalie attended.

If you are interested in making a donation, checks can be made out to Birthingway College of Midwifery. You can send in checks individually, just be sure to include a note with your check (on the memo line of the check or a sticky note) that states something like, "for scholarship in honor of Natalie Jacobs."

The address is:

Rhonda Ray, Student Affairs Coordinator

Birthingway College of Midwifery

12113 SE Foster Road

Portland, OR 97266

Please pass this along to anyone who may be interested in making a donation in her honor.

We also appreciate all of the donations that have been made in her honor to Planned Parenthood - her sister will be making a donation to them as well.

Thank you for your help!

I included a note with our donations, telling them how we all knew Natalie, and how much she meant to VC. If I get a response, I'll post that in here as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know that I received a note from PP/Austin. They are very grateful for all the donations, and would like to know more about Natalie, and her time spent volunteering there. If anyone (Kate, I know it's a tough time for you, but when you get a chance?) knows more specifics about her volunteer work there and would like to PM me, I will pass on whatever you'd like to share.

They've also asked who should be notified about our donations. I'm assuming Mel has contact info for Nat's family, so I'll get in touch with her.

Again, thanks so much for all the support for this effort. I'm sure that Natalie would be quite touched by everyone's participation. :cheekkiss

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know that I received a very nice e-mail from Natalie's mom:

Hello Maudie,

[Mel] gave me your address and said you organized the group donation to Planned Parenthood in Natalie's memory. My husband and daughter Jennifer and I are so grateful to you and to all of Natalie's friends for remembering her in this incredibly generous way. We are comforted so much to know that she had all these friends who cared for her.

Thank you again for all that you have done.

I wrote back to let her know that we wanted to do this as a group for Natalie, and that there was a large group of people involved both in the planning of this, and in the donating.

Thanks again to you all. :cheekkiss

• 4 months later...

I'm imaginarily bumping this one again, for Nat's birthday. Please think about continuing to make donations in her name, or doing whatever you can do to honor her memory today (grabbing a rock star's ass would also qualify).

I think I'll knit another baby hat and send them to the hospital on Monday.

You're missed a bunch, Nat.

planned parenthood has received close to $1 million dollars in donations thanks to a viral email that spread in regards to donating money "in sarah palin's honor" and sending the thank you card to john mccain's office. it makes me want to donate again in addition to honoring natalie :)

planned parenthood has received close to $1 million dollars in donations thanks to a viral email that spread in regards to donating money "in sarah palin's honor" and sending the thank you card to john mccain's office. it makes me want to donate again in addition to honoring natalie :)

I also thought of Natalie when I heard this. A very fitting tribute, I think! :thumbup

• 1 year later...

I'm imaginarily bumping this one again, for Nat's birthday. Please think about continuing to make donations in her name, or doing whatever you can do to honor her memory today (grabbing a rock star's ass would also qualify).

made a donation to planned parenthood LA this week.

• 1 month later...