discuss your love/hate, greatness/mediocrity of this genre. its probablty my favorite musical movement, the cure, joy division, siouxsie, and sonic youth are possibly my favorite bands ever. i have always been attracted to this type of music; i love the overall emotion and weight it has. other bands i obsess over include:

Drive Like Jehu

Hot Snakes

Mission of Burma

Public Image Ltd

The Fall

Wire

Television

Gang of Four

Jesus and Mary Chain

Unwound

:unsure

Drive Like Jehu

Hot Snakes

I don't know that these guys belong in a group with the rest of the bands you mentioned, but they sure were awesome. Rick Froberg and John Reis should have an active band together at all times.

P.S. Pitchfork were also rad.

Yeah, I'm lukewarm on most of those bands, and I actively hate a few of them (The Cure, The Fall, etc.) but I love Television, The Modern Lovers, and a bunch more. They're just as often labeled "punk" as not, though.

hating the cure and the fall is hating me :(

explain yourself!

I certainly wouldn't call Television a post-punk band. They were playing CBGB's before The Ramones, and would be associated with the first wave of New York punk bands. There were a lot of great post-punk bands, and there were a lot of terrible ones as well. Simon Reynolds's book, Rip It Up And Start Again, is a nice overview of the era. It's become a catch-all phrase that takes a lot of disparate bands under one umbrella.

I'm also in the camp of never liking any of these bands. But then, I thought the whole punk movement was worthless, too. I'll take solid blues-based rock, psychedelic, and jazz over anything these guys did. I saw X in concert once, and it still ranks as one of the worst concert experiences I've ever had.