NOT A guilty pleasure

I have always been curious about Laura Nyro and I recently purchased Eli and the 13th Confession. it's completely different from any other style of music than I like, but I actually dig it. I love Poverty Train the best.

thoughts?

comments?

criticisms?

bone-head remarks.

yeah.

Would I like this person's musical productions?

you might. she is the opposite of The Replacements. she wrote Stones Soul Picnic which was covered by The Fifth Dimension.

I have always been curious about Laura Nyro and I recently purchased Eli and the 13th Confession. it's completely different from any other style of music than I like, but I actually dig it. I love Poverty Train the best.

thoughts?

comments?

criticisms?

bone-head remarks.

yeah.

I don't see how the late great Laura Nyro would be considered a guilty pleasure. I mean - isn't a guilty pleasure what people mean when they are ashamed of something because some group of people decided it was not cool?

I listen to what I listen to - I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of my musical choices. I began listening to her probably 10 years ago. I think we actually had a thread about her sometime within the last couple of years.

I don't see how the late great Laura Nyro would be considered a guilty pleasure. I mean - isn't a guilty pleasure what people mean when they are ashamed of something because some group of people decided it was not cool?

... or because people think it's too mainstream or cheesy or sugary or etc...

And I agree with you: the case of Laura Nyro is the opposite of a guilty pleasure, it's rather the kind of artist some people mention to show they have taste.

Laura Nyro is definitely something special, and not to everyone's taste. She sings really loud. Compared to Laura Nyro, Tim Buckley is Stuart Murdoch. :lol

So, I'm still learning to like Laura Nyro's music and singing, 'cause I feel it's worth it, but it's definitely not an easy thing.

Now I guess the original poster simply meant that Laura Nyro would be a guilty pleasure for a Wilco fan since it's a very different cup of tea. To a Wilco fan, she may not sound very cool. But I bet Tweedy likes her music.

thoughts?

comments?

criticisms?

bone-head remarks.

yeah.

You can see her singing this one (and one or two other tunes) on the Monterrey Pop outtakes video.

thoughts?

comments?

criticisms?

bone-head remarks.

yeah.

I, too, picked up that disc earlier this year and had virtually the same reaction. It's a hell of an album.

--Mike

thoughts?

comments?

criticisms?

bone-head remarks.

yeah.

Amazing how we talk ad nauseum about some rock pioneers and others are totally forgotten. Laura is one of the greats. Her early records are great, her later records are okay, there are some good and some live albums out and an excellent compilation of her greatest work on Columbia. What on earth would be a guilty pleasure about her? She was a great songwriter and singer and piano player.

Who?
Kids today.....

LouieB

I initially called this a guilty pleasure, for me, because it isn't the typical kind of music that I listen to. just a personal call. what's with all the hub bub, bub?

Guilty pleasure suggests that the artist somehow isn't really that good and you just like them for the camp value or something. Laura Nyro was a major artist and a class act, therefore not a guilty pleasure, but someone anyone should or could enjoy.

Sadly she died of ovarian cancer about 10 years ago. Her records stand with the best recordings of the 60s and 70s and her songs were huge sellers when they were covered by others.

LouieB

I initially called this a guilty pleasure, for me, because it isn't the typical kind of music that I listen to. just a personal call. what's with all the hub bub, bub?

That's true. You like both kinds of music - country and western.

Pookie:

I was handed a 1968 copy of L.N.'s "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" on this past Friday apon arrival at my local record shop, and told by it's proprietor to "buy this"; ( a "fifty-ish" lady who's opinion I've come to value). $6 bucks. Still has the "perfumed" lyric sheet with it (fragrance is long gone).

So...that's what all that business was about last week with "Let's go down by the grapevine, drink my Daddy's wine" over in "Umm"-ville.

Fun music. Great Album.

And for the record, this is not something I would normally gravitate towards musically either.

Anyway...tks for the heads-up.

Pookie:

I was handed a 1968 copy of L.N.'s "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" on this past Friday apon arrival at my local record shop, and told by it's proprietor to "buy this"; ( a "fifty-ish" lady who's opinion I've come to value). $6 bucks. Still has the "perfumed" lyric sheet with it (fragrance is long gone).

So...that's what all that business was about last week with "Let's go down by the grapevine, drink my Daddy's wine" over in "Umm"-ville.

Fun music. Great Album.

And for the record, this is not something I would normally gravitate towards musically either.

Anyway...tks for the heads-up.

YAY! that's awesome! I love it too. glad you're enjoying it!

Stoned Soul Picnic: The Best of Laura Nyro is the second retrospective album by Bronx-born musician Laura Nyro and the most comprehensive overview of her work to date.

It was the last album Nyro released during her lifetime, and she died from ovarian cancer less than two months after its release. The two-disc set combines highlights from all of her studio albums, as well as some rarities and previously unreleased live songs recorded in 1993 and 1994. Music journalist Paul Zollo's interview with Nyro makes up the liner notes, along with a Nyro biography and song details.

Stoned Soul Picnic: The Best of Laura Nyro came about in 1996 when the Legacy imprint of Columbia Records requested a single-disc overview of Nyro's work. However, that would have concentrated on her earlier material, and Nyro was adamant that a full career overview should be achieved.

Nyro oversaw the production of the album, and made the track selection her final artistic project. The first disc collects some of her finest and most well-known material from 1966 to 1970, while the second disc concentrates on her later career.