so i downloaded a bunch of jason molina, songs ohia, magnolia, and howe gelb on emusic, but i just dont feel like i own the music. i feel like i should have it on my shelf, like i do with other favorites: NY, Zep, Wilco. also, what's the best way to support an artist? do they make more money when we buy discs or downloads? thoughts?

craig

Depending on where you buy it as a download, the artist should make as much or more.

Personally, I just don't like cds cluttering up the house. I love the idea of having all, or most, of my music in my hand as I head to the car. That's just me.

i guess for me it is just too mind blowing to have all my music in a little box!! it just freaks me out:) that being said, it's nice. i can easily get caught up in sound quality etc. maybe i am just making too big a deal. i mean, cds are gonna be over soon and hopefully we will get lossless downloads at some point. :thumbup

Buy Vinyl and, if unavailable, buy CDs. I try to buy a physical copy of every record I REALLY like. Then I shelf it until it needs to be played or I have the urge to listen to the real deal. I have an ipod and hard drives full of music. But I still love needle on vinyl and the occasional CD spin.

Buy Vinyl and, if unavailable, buy CDs. I try to buy a physical copy of every record I REALLY like. Then I shelf it until it needs to be played or I have the urge to listen to the real deal. I have an ipod and hard drives full of music. But I still love needle on vinyl and the occasional CD spin.

yeah, i am leaning in that direction. like, i really love wilco and neil young, so i have CDs of theirs.

Well, you are BUYING from emusic, so its not like snatching it completely free. Its yours. Although, I can see if there are things you really like and would prefer to own a physical/lossless copy of.

right.

I used to feel that I needed a hard copy of any music I wanted to keep. But I moved into a smaller house and discovered mp3s about the same time. I didn't feel safe with having music on a hard drive so I purchased an external hard drive which backs up files every night. Even when I do buy a cd, I rip it to the pc. Now I'm wondering where I can store my thousands of cds safely. :unsure Those rental storage units are expensive!

Mostly I buy the cd's. But if I'm only partial to one song...then I purchase it on iTunes. I've also gotten smart and purchased an external hard drive so that EVERYTHING is stored on there as well as my iPod. I have as of late started trading my mint condition cd's on swaptree.com but I hold on to the important ones..like my Wilco ones...I won't let go of those. I wouldn't mind having the vinyl of certain things but it would require buying a player..lol :)

I actually have 2 iPods, my hard drive and a back-up hard drive. Most of my music is in 3 or 4 different places so no single point of failure. I'm thinking about getting a server at some point as well.... and an iphone. :stunned

Yea, I know the feeling of hard drive failure and losing your entire music collection. Its like someone ripping out your soul. Can never be to careful...

Vinyl's nice and as far as hard copies go (if not pricey), and I'd much rather have that. CDs are relatively pointless to me, with the exception of getting the artwork.