I will be at the Ryman next week for the show. I am absolutely thrilled with John Doe as an opening act. He is worth a show in itself. His last album is a wonder. It should make for a rather spectacular evening..

Thoughts?

Ditto to everything you said. Can't wait for next weekend!

X was one of the first bands that caught my attention when I was a kid, but I've never seen them, or any of their members, in concert. I don't know how that happened, since Exene lives in the same area as me and has played extensively with a local band. At any rate, I've really liked John's recent stuff and I think he's going to be a good mix with Wilco.

Doe's most recent album was pretty darn good. Back when I was fresh out of school (a hundred years ago) I used to listen to Meet John Doe incessantly. There are a few artists about whom I've said that if I could have anyone's voice I might choose theirs -- Doe is one of them.

I've seen him with the Knitters, but not with X or as a solo act. I wish I had a chance to see him on this tour.

I think its great that Wilco is taking such a seminal punk hero out on the road with them, as opposed to a young, up and coming band or artist. There are plenty of UT moments that I think of X. It should be a great opening set.

I saw him play a small club in Raleigh a couple years ago called the Pourhouse. This was just after "Forever Hasn't Happened Yet" was released. He's a standout musician and I'm very excited to see him up in Philly tomorrow night. X has been a favorite band of mine for many years as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll play a few classic X tracks.

What would we be without wishful thinking, eh?

cheers,

kevin

Does he ever sing songs that are more explicitly Exene's vocal tracks? There are dozens of X songs I'd want to hear, but "This is the New World," comes to immediate mind. Damn I'm jealous.

I hope he plays his version of Dylan's "Pressing On" from the I'm Not There soundtrack.

john doe was fucking incredible...needless to say i'm a fan. and yes...he played "white girl" and "more fun in the new world"

john doe was fucking incredible...needless to say i'm a fan. and yes...he played "white girl" and "more fun in the new world"

Does he ever sing songs that are more explicitly Exene's vocal tracks? There are dozens of X songs I'd want to hear, but "This is the New World," comes to immediate mind. Damn I'm jealous.

john doe was fucking incredible in cleveland...needless to say i'm a fan. and yes...he played "white girl" and "the new world"

john doe was fucking incredible in cleveland...needless to say i'm a fan. and yes...he played "white girl" and "the new world"

Head On

I was really impressed by his set last night. I'm only vaguely familiar with X, and a friend mentioned that his more recent work is quite good. His band was small but powerful, and the set was straightforward, no-nonsense rock. I was hoping he'd do that X song 4th of July, but I liked every song he played. I would definitely go see him again, and I think I'm going to pick up one of his albums the next time I buy some CDs.

I had to laugh--I was on my way to the bathroom when I first got there, and I saw this guy standing in the lobby looking around. He looked vaguely familiar, so I figured maybe I'd seen him at a Wilco show before or something. When I got back to my seat, he was up on stage tuning one of his guitars. It was John Doe. :lol

I went to the lobby in New Haven to buy his CD because I was so impressed with his set, and it was sold to me by the good looking woman singer he had on stage with him.

If you buy the CD you can download his cover of Joni Mitchell's "Case of You" which he played in New Haven.

Anyone know if his sets will be posted by tapers??? I'd love to have that one

He's worth showing up early for.

He sure is. I've loved a lot of Wilco's openers over the years, and John Doe's definitely up in the top five.

I was hoping he'd do that X song 4th of July

A lot of people were hollering for it, but he said you can't play 4th of July in winter. :P

A lot of people were hollering for it, but he said you can't play 4th of July in winter. :P

Plus, as I believe someone pointed out earlier, it's really more of a Dave Alvin song.

I love Dave's solo version on King of California. :yes