51 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• No Country for Old Men
    • There Will Be Blood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both were filmed in Marfa, Texas, a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere. I've seen 'em both and like them both quite a bit. I'm slightly partial to "Blood," though the ending that many find brilliant is maddening to me.

Great thread.

I've seen both movies and think both are DEFINITELY worth seeing for any movie fan.

But I give the edge to "Old Country For Old Men."

I liked "Old Country" for so many reasons. It looks great. The editing and pacing and suspense is great. The acting is great. And even though it takes place 30-plus years ago, it makes me think of the world today....the scariness and realness of greed and evil. Plus, the Coens add a tiny bit of their weird humor that keeps the movie from getting TOO serious.

There Will Be Blood is AS GOOD, in the sense you won't be able to stop thinking about it after you see it. Daniel Day Lewis is phenomenal. His chartacter is one that everyone should hate with a passion, but yet you can't take your eyes off him and can't wait to see what he's going to say/do next. And I almost fely sympathetic towards his character once I started wondering about a couple things he might be going through....which I won't say, as to not spoil the movie for anyone. The icing on the cake is that Johnny Greenwood provides the score.

I saw Oscar nominee Juno as well. Juno is very good and I LOVE the positive messages that her character sells in the movie. My only complaint is that she's just a little TOO hip for a 16 year old who's pregnant. It was too obvious that her character was speaking dialogue written by hip young writers. And Jason Bateman's character didn't quite seem true to me.....again, I won't spoil the movie....but I scratched my head about one part of his character.

Guest Muncle Douchey
"Blood," though the ending that many find brilliant is maddening to me.

i loved the end of TWBB. loved it.

but yeah No Country is hands down the better movie, and seriously one of the best movies i've ever seen.

I belive that Blood will win because it just seems to fit into the best picture box better. It's the classic epic American film with the dominating front man, and the intriguing director. It was great for sure, but my nonexistant Oscar vote would go for No Country.

No Country by one-third of one doink.

TWBB is visually spectacular. I cannot get over how beautiful almost every shot is.

Although these are the two front runners for the Best Pic Oscar, I think the best movie this year is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. If you haven't seen it, you really need to. The story is beautiful and Julian Schnabel paints a vivid picture of locked-in syndrome.

Although these are the two front runners for the Best Pic Oscar, I think the best movie this year is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. If you haven't seen it, you really need to. The story is beautiful and Julian Schnabel paints a vivid picture of locked-in syndrome.

This and No Country were my favorites of the year. Really, really great.

There Will Be Blood was good, but Daniel Day Lewis turned the whole thing into a sort of stage production. I could have seen him breaking out into song during a lot of those scenes. Either ridiculously over the top and cartoony performance or the rest of the cast was so awful they made it seem that way. And the end was terrible. What the hell was the point of it? No Country was better by leaps and bounds to me.

The way I see it No Country and There Will Be Blood ARE the best films of this year but they are somewhat alike that is going to hurt them. The way I see it is Juno and Michael Clayton don't have much of a chance and since No Country and There Will Be Blood are similar neither of them will win and we'll have to suffer with Atonement winning (I shouldn't say suffer but there is no way it could be better than NCFOM or TWBB).

However if none of this happens my pick would be for There Will Be Blood, Daniel Day Lewis put on probably one of the best acting performances I have ever seen.

March 11 No Country comes out on DVD and April 8th for There Will Be Blood I believe.

In the Sault we have a quite small (really small) film festival every year and I get a membership to go see all the movies and in the past couple of days I saw Before The Devil Knows You're Dead and Lars And The Real Girl and I can't believe neither of them got very much praise! Phillip Seymour Hoffman was phenomenal as was Ethan Hawke in BTDKYD and I felt that Lars And The Real Girl was a hilarious heart warming movie, almost similar to Juno in that sense.

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly on Sunday woo hoo!

I'm with Roger Ebert on There Will be Blood - I think it's a good movie, but I'm unconvinced that it deserves classic status. Its ambition is impressive, and so are the performances, but it didn't ever wallop me like the transcendent NCFOM did.

I think Joel (and Ethan) Coen is America's greatest living director and screenwriter, a maelstrom of technical profiency and boundless creativity, and I think this is the year the Academy will be forced to stop overlooking those talents. (I'm still amazed that that piece of shit The English Patient trounced Fargo a decade ago. An epic farce!)

It's been a fucking stunning year for movies, though. No kidding, it feels a bit like a renaissance to me. Maybe not of Zoetrope proportions, but goddamn, there were some impressive movies released in 2007.

I'm with Roger Ebert on There Will be Blood - I think it's a good movie, but I'm unconvinced that it deserves classic status. Its ambition is impressive, and so are the performances, but it didn't ever wallop me like the transcendent NCFOM did.

Weird. That's how I feel, but flip-flopped. I actually think TWBB might be one of the best American movies of the last 10 years. I was absolutely mesmerized by every frame, every artistic decision, every nuance. It's been a long while since I responded to a film so deeply and on so many levels. That's not to denigrate NCFOM, though, which, to my eyes, is also a classic.

It's been a fucking stunning year for movies, though. No kidding, it feels a bit like a renaissance to me.

Agreed. In recent memory, I can't think of another year so strong, at least for American movies. I'm a little dismayed, though, about how most of the riskiest and most rewarding movies didn't perform so hot at the box-office... the renaissance might not last.

Weird. That's how I feel, but flip-flopped. I actually think TWBB might be one of the best American movies of the last 10 years. I was absolutely mesmerized by every frame, every artistic decision, every nuance. It's been a long while since I responded to a film so deeply and on so many levels. That's not to denigrate NCFOM, though, which, to my eyes, is also a classic.

100%

And the end [of TWBB]was terrible. What the hell was the point of it?

Gotta think metaphorically. I wrote this elsewhere:

It was a very good year for American movies, and no movie was more American in its vision than P. T. Anderson