Tweedy Acoustic preamp from Winter Residency

New to this forum, so I apologize in advance if anyone has already asked this...

Tweedy had an inline preamp for his acoustic guitars at the Winter Residency. It plugged directly into the 1/4" jack on each guitar, then you plugged your typical guitar cord into that. It was a small, maybe 1" x 2" black box with 2 or so knobs. I'm assuming 1 volume, 1 tone....or something like that. Built-in in EQ?

So I tried searching for something like that, but haven't found anything yet. Anybody know what it is?

Thanks!

Well so far, my searches have led me to this site, talking about his new custom issue from Breedlove:

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instrument...weedy/index.php

Anybody got 6,000 laying around? :)

But they do mention he uses a LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup, and a Fishman Matrix Natural II (discontinued):

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/pickups_m1.shtml

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=24

Now he obviously doesn't use that setup on every one of his acoustic guitars, but I can't help but wondering if this "black box" in question plugged into the 1/4" jack is some sorta pre-amp EQ or blender system. I can't find anything on the main manufacturer websites...still looking. I don't think it's a DI box though. It seems too small. I, of course, could be completely wrong. I just imagine Jeff wanting to have a little tonal/volume control on stage. I think I even recall seeing him adjust at certain points during songs this past week.

i looks a bit like the powered DI that K&K makes for its pickups, and barcus berry made one like this too

at first i thought it was a wireless device haha

I dont know what the maker is, but its likely a blender for two pickups (under saddle and magnetic), or an impedance matching device that preamps into a proper DI to the board

ill keep digging

j

I found it!

haha......this is hilarious, I started a forum topic, only to force myself to search and search more! :)

At any rate...it's made by Pendulum Audio:

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

It's basically a ridiculous preamp system, for the best control over your acoustic possible. Fantastic! The "black box" I've been talking about is the Preamp Module for Pickup/Pickup combinations (far left in the picture from the website). Basically it is used to blend the two pickups I mentioned previously in this thread. My question now is...I saw him go to that all night, no matter which acoustic (and there were quite a few) he was using. Every time he'd plug that preamp into whatever acoustic was brought out. Obviously the guitars aren't all wired the same though, so I'm not sure how they have it setup exactly.

Glad I got to the bottom of this though! I wonder if you can just use one of the Preamp Modules by itself, without the use of the rack gear. Guess there's still a little research to do.

If anybody has any experience with this, let me know!

I found it!

haha......this is hilarious, I started a forum topic, only to force myself to search and search more! :)

At any rate...it's made by Pendulum Audio:

http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html

It's basically a ridiculous preamp system, for the best control over your acoustic possible. Fantastic! The "black box" I've been talking about is the Preamp Module for Pickup/Pickup combinations (far left in the picture from the website). Basically it is used to blend the two pickups I mentioned previously in this thread. My question now is...I saw him go to that all night, no matter which acoustic (and there were quite a few) he was using. Every time he'd plug that preamp into whatever acoustic was brought out. Obviously the guitars aren't all wired the same though, so I'm not sure how they have it setup exactly.

Glad I got to the bottom of this though! I wonder if you can just use one of the Preamp Modules by itself, without the use of the rack gear. Guess there's still a little research to do.

If anybody has any experience with this, let me know!

Nice detective work!

I don't have any experience ...but looking at the 1/4 inch on the end, it seems to have stereo notches (?) so maybe it worls with the one pick up set up with out a stereo connection, and vice versa

you dig?

BTW (maybe this should be a new thread) I thought I was going to meet a lot more people who played at the residency. I had to EL all the way to evenston to jam on sunday night. There should ba a guitar jam sing along get together prior to or after shows.

Don't you think?

Nice detective work!

I don't have any experience ...but looking at the 1/4 inch on the end, it seems to have stereo notches (?) so maybe it worls with the one pick up set up with out a stereo connection, and vice versa

you dig?

BTW (maybe this should be a new thread) I thought I was going to meet a lot more people who played at the residency. I had to EL all the way to evenston to jam on sunday night. There should ba a guitar jam sing along get together prior to or after shows.

Don't you think?

Hey ya, I was looking at that too. I was assuming that it's a TRS jack, and that it is there to recognize the signals from each pickup, but if it was only one pickup that you had wired in stereo, that would be great as well. I'm sure it would work regularly for one channel if you only have one pickup also. Options are endless I guess.

That sucks you had to take the train all the way past Howard. I used to do that every day for work, it was brutal unless I got the Purple Line Xpress at Belmont. Jam sessions before shows would be great, or after...

Hey ya, I was looking at that too. I was assuming that it's a TRS jack, and that it is there to recognize the signals from each pickup, but if it was only one pickup that you had wired in stereo, that would be great as well. I'm sure it would work regularly for one channel if you only have one pickup also. Options are endless I guess.

That sucks you had to take the train all the way past Howard. I used to do that every day for work, it was brutal unless I got the Purple Line Xpress at Belmont. Jam sessions before shows would be great, or after...

Well the train ride out was a TRIP. I had to go back into the loop and jump on the brown got to the red and the to the purple. wheeew! and the ride melloed me out.

But on the way back I crashed out on the EL and drooled on my guitar case. I think I woke myself up by snoring because when I awoke all these people around me were laughing at me.

?

Yeah, what's the word on those? They seem pretty competitively priced compared to the Pendulum ones. That seems like it would be especially nice when switching to different guitars onstage.

I had a buddy that did a lot of singer/songwriter solo shows (a la David Wilcox) and he had a ridiculous set-up, including the Pendulum preamp. (I'm guessing his acoustic rack, pedals, and electronics were worth over $8,000 - chump change to him, he really cashed out on the .com explosion. Too bad his rig was better than his music.) Any way, he let me play around with his set-up a few times and it was amazing.

I have a B-Band pickup system in my Breedlove and I use an L.R. Baggs blender/pre-amp. Here. It gets the job done and is certainly more affordable than a Pendulum setup. Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine a few years ago. I think I paid $100.

I had a buddy that did a lot of singer/songwriter solo shows (a la David Wilcox) and he had a ridiculous set-up, including the Pendulum preamp. (I'm guessing his acoustic rack, pedals, and electronics were worth over $8,000 - chump change to him, he really cashed out on the .com explosion. Too bad his rig was better than his music.) Any way, he let me play around with his set-up a few times and it was amazing.

I have a B-Band pickup system in my Breedlove and I use an L.R. Baggs blender/pre-amp. Here. It gets the job done and is certainly more affordable than a Pendulum setup. Looks like the price has gone up since I bought mine a few years ago. I think I paid $100.

Yea that mix pro is good...im using the Baggs Para DI and like it alot...

j

I have a Para DI too, but I hate switching guitars. Plus I do have to crank the gain a bit for all of my passive pick-ups, wouldn't mind a bit more pre-amp before that.

But other than that, it's amazing. Adds just the amount of control to add depth and color, but really brings out the sound you need.

I have a Para DI too, but I hate switching guitars.

Guess you still have to warm up to the sound guy...

Yes, you know im really surprised they havent come out with a stereo/blend or two input version of this...maybe a

mono 2 female, one male Y cable...$15 at Radio shack?

j