• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My four-year-old daughter is crazy about robots. We saw the trailer for "Wall-E" last weekend when we saw "Horton Hears a Who", and she's talked more about wanting to see the "robot movie" than she has about Horton. I hadn't heard anything about it until we saw the trailer, but now I'm really excited about it.

I was really dreading the movie thing when she was little. I'm trying to avoid Disney crap at all costs because I don't want her falling into the princess obsession. I'm finding that the Pixar ones are definitely the best of the bunch.

• 3 months later...

Apparently some conservatives are offended by the environmental message and also how, at one point, the buffoonish president character says, "Stay the course." Boycotts are being planned. I'm not making this up.

The movie is accused of succumbing to Bush Derangement Syndrome. Irony is awesome.

Apparently some conservatives are offended by the environmental message and also how, at one point, the buffoonish president character says, "Stay the course." Boycotts are being planned. I'm not making this up.

The movie is accused of succumbing to Bush Derangement Syndrome. Irony is awesome.

I haven't found anything about planned boycotts.

The trailer is iffy, perhaps, but I thought the same thing about the trailers for Toy Story, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. I think I've learned my lesson.

I'm looking forward to this, mostly because we're planning to make it the very first movie our young daughter sees in the movie theater.

I'd be curious how old your daughter is. My 3-year olds love watching the trailer on the computer and we're probably going to take them to the theater for the first time, too. They've been to live shows before, but not to a movie theater. I'm a little worried about their behavior and attention span bothering other viewers.

I'd be curious how old your daughter is. My 3-year olds love watching the trailer on the computer and we're probably going to take them to the theater for the first time, too. They've been to live shows before, but not to a movie theater. I'm a little worried about their behavior and attention span bothering other viewers.

My daughter turns 4 next month. As it turned out, though, we didn't wait for Wall-E to be her first movie theater experience. Horton Hears a Who! was first, followed some time later by Kung Fu Panda. She was a bit talky at the first one, but much better at the second; overall, she did great both times!

That sounds like individuals planning to boycott the movie for its political content.

Oh, so individuals are commenting on some fringe blogs that they don't plan on seeing the movie. Silly me, I thought you said that boycotts were being planned.

I am excited about any Pixar movie but was increasingly less motivated by recent ones. Honestly, Bugs Life and Nemo are probably my least favorites. I was surprised how much I liked Ratatatooie (sp?!?) and Incredibles.

Finding Nemo is definitely my favorite. I love Thomas Newman's score and the animation is absolutely beautiful. The only misstep they have had, in my opinion, is Cars. But even that was great to look at and had its moments.

And speaking of Ratatouille and The Incredibles, I'm anxious for Brad Bird's next film (given the greatness of his first three), which will be live-action as opposed to animated.

I obviously haven

Oh, so individuals are commenting on some fringe blogs that they don't plan on seeing the movie. Silly me, I thought you said that boycotts were being planned.

I never meant to suggest anything other than individuals planning to boycott on their own, which is why I called it "planning" rather than "organizing." (It's also why I qualified my initial post as describing only "some," not all or even most, conservatives.) Sorry you misinterpreted. Silly you, indeed.

Point is, some people apparently think a single throwaway line far outweighs the merits of the rest of the movie.

From the Wall Street Journal:

WSJ: Though it's billed as a "love story," WALL-E takes a strong stance on our treatment of the environment. Is that the over-arching theme of the movie?

Mr. Stanton: In 2002, I came up with the idea of WALL-E finding a living plant and I liked the idea of a man-made object keeping something "real" inside of him. But there was never really an environmental theme to the movie. I'm happy that it happens to be parallel with something we're all conscientious of, but the last thing I'm going to try to do is make a "message movie." I hate being preached to when I go to the movies.

I've also read that Stanton liked the idea of this robot being all by myself. Then he imagined this robot all by himself on Earth....then he came up with the idea of the humans having to leave because of too much trash accumulating. I'm not sure how that thought process or what I'm hearing about the movie would supposedly piss off Conservatives. I think all people, no matter their political bent, our concerned about all the waste us humans produce.

Most of us don't worry about our trash production over the next 50-100 years, but if we could see Earth in 700 years ahead like in Wall-e....I imagine this place being quite dumpy.

I never meant to suggest anything other than individuals planning to boycott on their own, which is why I called it "planning" rather than "organizing." (It's also why I qualified my initial post as describing only "some," not all or even most, conservatives.) Sorry you misinterpreted. Silly you, indeed.

Point is, some people apparently think a single throwaway line far outweighs the merits of the rest of the movie.

I get your point, and I agree with you 100% on it. I think you played a little fast and loose with the words you chose to describe the situation, especially since you could probably find a few boycotting kooks for every piece of pop culture ever released. But now it's becoming a ridiculous point to argue about.

I hope your daughter enjoys the movie. My daughter is only 8 months old right now, and I anxiously await the time when we can share in a few of these experiences. Although, I'm certainly not wishing her life away, because this is a great age right now as she crawls around and starts discovering things (especially our Chocolate Lab).

I hope your daughter enjoys the movie. My daughter is only 8 months old right now, and I anxiously await the time when we can share in a few of these experiences. Although, I'm certainly not wishing her life away, because this is a great age right now as she crawls around and starts discovering things (especially our Chocolate Lab).

Sharing movies with my daughter is one of the great pleasures of my life. It's been awesome introducing her to all kinds of stuff, including the silent comedians. It's especially interesting watching her develop tastes and preferences (she's partial to Harold Lloyd, but can't stand Laurel & Hardy) and watching her gravitate towards aspects that she identifies with. For example, she often focuses on the depiction of young girls; for her, Tarzan is a movie about a girl named Jane, who happens to meet a guy in the jungle...

Tonight: Showgirls. (Maybe I should bookmark that parenting thread.)

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Most of us don't worry about our trash production over the next 50-100 years, but if we could see Earth in 700 years ahead like in Wall-e....I imagine this place being quite dumpy.

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus ..."

Green is the new red.

In all seriousness, though, there are some in the environmental movement that treat environmentalism as a new religion.

True enough - though I wouldn't go so far as to brand it a religion....not quite yet anyways.

They cannot be reasoned with, and no amount of scientific evidence will sway them on any environmental issue.

To be fair, that is an even more apt description of the opposition.

(firmly bites tongue w/r/t organized religion

Pesonally, I like that this movie might make people think about how they treat the environment and make them recycle and be aware of the planet.

But I hope the main point of Wall-e isn't that it's a pro-Green political statement. Wall-e was conceptualized more than TEN years ago, and scaring people that our planet is in grave danger seems to be the farthest thing from Andrew Stanton and Pixar's minds. It just became something to give the story another layer. Stanton's comments indicate he was merely interested in showing a lonely robot and to emphasize with its predicament. Then he wanted a love interest for the robot. Then he wanted the robots to show humans how to be humans again. The environmental part just happened accidentally to help dramaticize the story.

From the Vancouver Sun:

It's taken more than a decade for the idea behind WALL-E to hatch, and when the film finally received the green light, Stanton and his colleagues at Disney's Pixar Animation Studios had no idea that it would emerge as an environmental story with a built-in appeal for the green movement.

"When you plan something early on, you don't have a crystal ball telling you what's going to be the current of the time five, six, seven years out," Stanton said during a visit to Toronto. "I was just going for what naturally made sense with the storyline I was doing. I wanted things that were 'gettable' visually - things that would make sense to an audience without explanation, even to a kid. The fact that trash is everywhere is an easy thing to visualize - as it is to show that it needs correction."

But at the very beginning, back in 1994, when Stanton and his screenwriting buddies got together for an idea session, he wasn't sure whether they had anything more than an interesting concept.

"We had the character and the initial situation - that this working robot's been left on earth - and that's where it stopped. I didn't know where that was going, I didn't know what it was about. I just knew this was the loneliest character situation I could ever encounter."

"In that same early time that we came up with that situation, we also said, 'Wouldn't it be cool if it was sort of like R2-D2 (from the Star Wars films), that it spoke with the integrity of the way it was built?

"And immediately we thought, 'Nobody will ever let us do a film like that.'

"We were just young guys who at the time were still figuring out how to do Toy Story. So we sort of put it on the mental shelf and went off to do all those other films everybody else knows - which pretty much took all our time for 10 years."

It wasn't until Stanton was immersed in his first directing assignment, Finding Nemo, that he started thinking about the robot idea again.

"Now that I had a couple of films under my belt and was a better writer, I was more fascinated with the challenge of what a movie like that would be like. So I really got serious about it in 2003, and I started to flesh out what you guys now know as WALL-E."

The movie introduces audiences to the solitary existence of WALL-E whose only stimulus outside of rubbish disposal comes from the pet cockroach who is his sole companion, a collection of discarded knick-knacks he's set aside and an ancient video player with fascinates WALL-E with its flickering images of scenes from an ancient movie version of Hello Dolly. But then his life changes when a sleek and attractive research robot named EVE (Extra-terrestrial Vegetation Evaluator) is dispatched back to earth by the exiled human race and discovers that WALL-E has inadvertently discovered the possible key to a blighted planet's return to health. WALL-E finds himself smitten with EVE and he follows her when she races back through the galaxy to a luxury space ship and the humans who await her findings.

Pesonally, I like that this movie might make people think about how they treat the environment and make them recycle and be aware of the planet.

But I hope the main point of Wall-e isn't that it's a pro-Green political statement. Wall-e was conceptualized more than TEN years ago, and scaring people that our planet is in grave danger seems to be the farthest thing from Andrew Stanton and Pixar's minds. It just became something to give the story another layer. Stanton's comments indicate he was merely interested in showing a lonely robot and to emphasize with its predicament. Then he wanted a love interest for the robot. Then he wanted the robots to show humans how to be humans again. The environmental part just happened accidentally to help dramaticize the story.

Sounds cool to me.

Go see this one. It's very good. I think it's thematically very adult in many ways, but all the kids in the theater I was in enjoyed the heck out of it. So did I.

P.S. I didn't think the film really went for an environmental message at all. It was more anti-Wal-mart than anything, in terms of the satire.