Springsteen article

This is a pretty great interview and update on Bruce, the upcoming tour and some hints at future plans. On the USA Today website you can also scroll through Bruce's IPOD which feature's a few old Tweedy tunes. Enjoy, greg

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

ASBURY PARK, N.J.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. I love that he has Whiskeytown's "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight" on his ipod, not to mention Loretta Lynn and Jack White's "Portland, Oregon." It's hard to believe there's no Roy Orbison on there.

great article. i guess i love bruce more than his music. have tried for years, but just can't seem to get into it. of course i was unintentionally burned out with born in the usa era bruce b/c of top 40 radio in the 80s. i think that scarred me.

anyway, i think i am gonna head downtown when he plays atlanta and try to get a cheap ticket after the show starts. anyone have any luck doing this before?

craig

great article. i guess i love bruce more than his music. have tried for years, but just can't seem to get into it. of course i was unintentionally burned out with born in the usa era bruce b/c of top 40 radio in the 80s. i think that scarred me.

anyway, i think i am gonna head downtown when he plays atlanta and try to get a cheap ticket after the show starts. anyone have any luck doing this before?

craig

Altough Bruce has an amazing recorded catalogue (most fans think BITUSA is his weakest album), he is one artist that has to be seen in concert to fully appreciate.

Do not miss him in Hotlanta - it will change your life.

Altough Bruce has an amazing recorded catalogue (most fans think BITUSA is his weakest album), he is one artist that has to be seen in concert to fully appreciate.

Do not miss him in Hotlanta - it will change your life.

well, i hope i can get a cheap ticket after the show starts b/c i do not have the ridiculous amount of cash for a real ticket. just ricidulous. him, neil and the stones etc.

The first setlist from the new leg of the Magic tour. Three unreleased songs and a healthy mix from the entire catalog. That "Backstrrets" straight into "Kitty's Back" in the encores must be ridiculous. I'll be going to the Charlottesville, VA show at the end of April. Can't wait, Greg

Setlist:

So Young and in Love

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

Gypsy Biker

Magic

Reason to Believe

Loose Ends

She's the One

Livin' in the Future

The Promised Land

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Janey Don't You Lose Heart

The River

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last to Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands

Girls in Their Summer Clothes

Backstreets

Kitty's Back

Born to Run

American Land

This is a pretty great interview and update on Bruce, the upcoming tour and some hints at future plans. On the USA Today website you can also scroll through Bruce's IPOD which feature's a few old Tweedy tunes. Enjoy, greg

By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY

ASBURY PARK, N.J.

The first setlist from the new leg of the Magic tour. Three unreleased songs and a healthy mix from the entire catalog. That "Backstrrets" straight into "Kitty's Back" in the encores must be ridiculous. I'll be going to the Charlottesville, VA show at the end of April. Can't wait, Greg

Setlist:

So Young and in Love

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

Gypsy Biker

Magic

Reason to Believe

Loose Ends

She's the One

Livin' in the Future

The Promised Land

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

The River

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last to Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands

Backstreets

Kitty's Back

Born to Run

American Land

Setlist:

So Young and in Love

Radio Nowhere

Lonesome Day

Gypsy Biker

Magic

Reason to Believe

Loose Ends

She's the One

Livin' in the Future

The Promised Land

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

The River

Devil's Arcade

The Rising

Last to Die

Long Walk Home

Badlands

Backstreets

Kitty's Back

Born to Run

American Land

Springsteen : Kitty's back as Tweedy: Passenger's Side ????? I am trying to learn about BS as rick is more of a fan.

this has been a great tour, and looks to be getting better.

if anyone hasn't seen Bruce it's a must ! we all hope Danny gets well, and rejoins the tour soon.

When I was at the shows in Jersey, there were tix availble for face value, so I'd go and take the chance.

I'm old school Bruce too, but the new cd is very good.

Reason to Believe

Loose Ends

She's the One

that's a fine 3, and an even better encore

There's a great story about Tweedy taking a dubbed cassette copy of "Born to Run," to school in like 5th grade, and telling his classmates that he wrote it.

Laurie, you can't go wrong with any Springsteen between '73-'82. It's a remarkable run of albums, with very few down moments. His comeback albums over the past few years, "the Rising," "devils & dust," and the latest "Magic," are all very good albums with heady subject matter. PM me your home address so when I get back to Virginia, i can get you'll some Wilco rarities goodies. take care, Greg

There's a great story about Tweedy taking a dubbed cassette copy of "Born to Run," to school in like 5th grade, and telling his classmates that he wrote it.

Laurie, you can't go wrong with any Springsteen between '73-'82. It's a remarkable run of albums, with very few down moments. His comeback albums over the past few years, "the Rising," "devils & dust," and the latest "Magic," are all very good albums with heady subject matter. PM me your home address so when I get back to Virginia, i can get you'll some Wilco rarities goodies. take care, Greg

will do - have to try more Bruce. 5th grade eh...

I've been realy enjoying the Seeger session stuff off the live Dublin record.
Amen to that! I think it's better than "Magic." Don't get me wrong, I think the E Street stuff is some of the best music made in the last 50 years, but I am just so in love with the Americana vein in Bruce's music.

:thumbup

Amen to that! I think it's better than "Magic." Don't get me wrong, I think the E Street stuff is some of the best music made in the last 50 years, but I am just so in love with the Americana vein in Bruce's music.

:thumbup

I like all of Bruce's veins, except for the one he had in 1992.

I like all of Bruce's veins, except for the one he had in 1992.

if i am gonna listen to bruce it's gonna be nebraska or lucky town. actually like that album. local hero is a great song.

c

this has been a great tour, and looks to be getting better.

if anyone hasn't seen Bruce it's a must ! we all hope Danny gets well, and rejoins the tour soon.

When I was at the shows in Jersey, there were tix availble for face value, so I'd go and take the chance.

I'm old school Bruce too, but the new cd is very good.

Reason to Believe

Loose Ends

She's the One

that's a fine 3, and an even better encore

well, my hope is to pay $20, no more, after about the 3rd song.

c

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a link to a pretty good Stevie Van Zant interview in Rolling Stone. He really wants the E Street Band to play "Held up Wihout A Gun," and I for one wanna be there when they do.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/195...ic_news_rssfeed

• 5 weeks later...
Bruce Springsteen endorses Obama for president

By JOAN LOWY, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 37 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Rock star Bruce Springsteen endorsed Democratic Sen. Barack Obama for president Wednesday, saying "he speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years."

In a letter addressed to friends and fans posted his Web site, Springsteen said he believes Obama is the best candidate to undo "the terrible damage done over the past eight years."

"He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next president," the letter said. "He speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that's interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where '...nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone.' "

The bard of New Jersey is known for his lyrics about the struggles of working-class Americans, particularly in the economically ravaged factory towns of the Northeast.

Springsteen and his E Street band were part of the Vote or Change tour, a coalition of musicians opposed to the re-election of President Bush in 2004. He wrote the anti-war ballad "Devils and Dust" about Iraq.

Springsteen did not directly mention Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination, in his letter, but appeared to take issue with her recent criticisms of comments made by Obama about working-class voters in small towns in Pennsylvania and controversial statements by his pastor.

"Critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships," Springsteen wrote. "While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision ... often in order to distract us from discussing the real issues: war and peace, the fight for economic and racial justice, reaffirming our Constitution, and the protection and enhancement of our environment."

Dear Friends and Fans:

LIke most of you, I've been following the campaign and I have now seen and heard enough to know where I stand. Senator Obama, in my view, is head and shoulders above the rest.

He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next President. He speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that's interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where "...nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone."

At the moment, critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships. While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision, so well described in his excellent book, Dreams of My Father, often in order to distract us from discussing the real issues: war and peace, the fight for economic and racial justice, reaffirming our Constitution, and the protection and enhancement of our environment.

After the terrible damage done over the past eight years, a great American reclamation project needs to be undertaken. I believe that Senator Obama is the best candidate to lead that project and to lead us into the 21st Century with a renewed sense of moral purpose and of ourselves as Americans.

Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.