Springsteen article

Not a big surprise. Much more surprising is how deep the band keeps digging into the archives on the current tour. I'm holding out hope for the E Street Shuffle in Charlottesville in a couple of weeks.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springsteen's 'Madam Marie' Dies -- Asbury Park Paper (Natch) Got Last Interview

By Joe Strupp

Published: July 01, 2008 2:55 PM ET

NEW YORK As the news spread around New Jersey, and Bruce Springsteen circles, of the death of "Madam" Marie Castello -- the famed fortune teller from Springsteen's 1973 favorite, "Fourth of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" -- one newspaper had the others beat.

And as seems fitting, it was The Asbury Park Press.

The Press, based in nearby Neptune, N.J., these days, got the last interview with the 94-year-old Castello -- who got busted in the song by the cops for "tellin' fortunes better than they do" -- less than two months ago. So when she died Friday, and word broke today, the Gannett paper posted the lengthy May interview by staffer Bill Handleman online.

She retired in the mid-1990s but family members have kept the boardwalk booth open.

One excerpt from the Press:

"Some kid named Springsteen used to come around a lot in those days. He'd sit on the railing across the boardwalk and play his guitar. He was 17.(( One time he came over and said 'All I've got is 50 cents,' she remembers. 'I told him, 'You don't have to give me your 50 cents.'( As the story goes, she told him he would be famous one day. She probably said that to all the boys, Springsteen once conceded. Still, he would immortalize her in song. He would make her the most famous fortuneteller ever to peer into a crystal ball. 'He always comes by to say hello,' she says now. 'He knows where he came from.

if i am gonna listen to bruce it's gonna be nebraska or lucky town. actually like that album. local hero is a great song.

c

Both very good albums.

Rider, if you haven't listened to Devils and Dust you should give it a try. I've had it on my iPod for quite a while but just started listening to it 2 days ago for whatever reason. It's fantastic. Through and through, fantastic.

The new one, Magic, is decent.

The Press, based in nearby Neptune, N.J., these days, got the last interview with the 94-year-old Castello -- who got busted in the song by the cops for "tellin' fortunes better than they do" -- less than two months ago. So when she died Friday, and word broke today, the Gannett paper posted the lengthy May interview by staffer Bill Handleman online.

bill is a hell of a columnist, one of the last remnants of asbury's once-great paper

Both very good albums.

Rider, if you haven't listened to Devils and Dust you should give it a try. I've had it on my iPod for quite a while but just started listening to it 2 days ago for whatever reason. It's fantastic. Through and through, fantastic.

The new one, Magic, is decent.

good point, i do actually like some of devils and dust as well as the rising. saw bruce in atlanta in april. got a ticket for 20 bucks down in the 100s section. great show.

• 1 month later...

Preaching The Bruce Springsteen Gospel

Weekend Edition Sunday, August 10, 2008 - When Jeffrey Symynkywicz preaches at his Unitarian Universalist church, he's often accompanied by music, but it's not the music you might expect. The minister has been a fan of Bruce Springsteen since the beginning of his career, and now he's managed to combine his theological training with his love of Springsteen's music. His new book is titled The Gospel According to Bruce Springsteen: Rock and Redemption from Asbury Park to Magic.

In an interview, host Liane Hansen takes Symynkywicz through a few choice Springsteen songs, including the last song on Born to Run, "Jungle Land." Symynkywicz says it's an ethics song about perceived powers and the powers that be. Ultimately, he says, "Jungle Land" gives the sense that the bad guys have won

Down the home stretch of the "Magic" tour they've been collecting song requests on stage and playing some real oldies and super rarities. "Held up without a gun" has been played twice. A song I'm not familiar with called "Little Latin Lupe Lu" was played for the first time since the 70's at the recnet Boston stadium show. Someone wrote in the lyrics and the key of the song on the request and they gave it a go. They've also been opening with "Summertime Blues" and have closed with "twist and Shout" a few times. One week from tonight they'll be in Richmond. Can't wait. Now to decide on a request that will truly stump them.

Down the home stretch of the "Magic" tour they've been collecting song requests on stage and playing some real oldies and super rarities. "Held up without a gun" has been played twice. A song I'm not familiar with called "Little Latin Lupe Lu" was played for the first time since the 70's at the recnet Boston stadium show. Someone wrote in the lyrics and the key of the song on the request and they gave it a go. They've also been opening with "Summertime Blues" and have closed with "twist and Shout" a few times. One week from tonight they'll be in Richmond. Can't wait. Now to decide on a request that will truly stump them.

Little Latin Lupe Lu

That song was written by Bill Medley - but Bruce probably knows it best from the Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels version.

I'm going to my 1st Bruce show (aside from Rock the Vote in MN) on the 24th. I am a little unsure what to expect other than an awesome time. I'm gonna look like a true newbie I'm sure. B)

Awesome time, definitely. And I'm not sure how one would look like a newbie at a Springsteen show ... it's certainly not a hipster crowd. ;)

The SB organizers have been trying for this for years, it's a no brainer and would be quite good as far as those dreadful things go.

No "Glory Days," in my estimation.

Probably "Born to Run" and "Born in the U.S.A.," because those are the two Springsteen songs everyone knows. And maybe something like "The Rising" (which I hope he doesn't play, personally).

I heard this morning that he's going to play the Super Bowl.

20080310_Bruce_Springsteen.jpg

happy-dance.jpg

No "Glory Days," in my estimation.

Probably "Born to Run" and "Born in the U.S.A.," because those are the two Springsteen songs everyone knows. And maybe something like "The Rising" (which I hope he doesn't play, personally).

No way Born in the USA.

Maybe BTR, Medley'?????

AUGUST 18, RICHMOND, VA: C'EST MAGNIFIQUE!

Bruce to Backstreets in 2007, when asked about "The Price You Pay": "It's become a thing just because I haven't played it. If I had played it, nobody would give much of a damn if they heard it or not! Just because it hasn't been played.... My recollection is that it's been a while since we've played 'Crush on You.' And I'm not sure that one's going to be popping up in the set any time soon, either, you know?"

Tonight, Springsteen breaks a 28-year streak -- not with "The Price You Pay," but with the first "Crush on You" since December 16, 1980. "Crush" was played frequently on the 1980 leg of the River tour, but never again... until tonight. Reacting to a sign, Bruce himself seemingly couldn't believe they were actually about to play it. Steve even more so, from the look of him. "We firmly believe this is the worst song we ever put on a record," Bruce laughed, also revealing that he took the riff from the Car 54, Where Are You? theme. Still, butt of jokes though it may be, it was one of the biggest holy-shit moments of the tour to date, kicking off the encore with a blast of energy. On one hand, it's a throwaway River rocker... on the other hand, it's... a throwaway River rocker! The perfect kind of thing (as "Ramrod" has long shown) for encore time. The only thing we like better is some vintage rock 'n' roll, like, you know, "Quarter to Three." Yep, the Gary U.S. Bands classic was next (last played at Shea in 2003), as the nightly E Street Band-as-cover-band history lesson continues -- with "Twist and Shout" closing the eight-song encore to boot. Local boy Robbin Thompson, Bruce's Steel Mill bandmate, guested for this final song of the night.

But it's not like they saved all the good stuff for the end. In a very solid main set, a sign that read "My band just broke up -- please play 'Backstreets'!" brought us the majestic '75 epic, which led into a rare solo reading of "For You." Sitting at the piano, Bruce introduced it with some memories of Richmond, "an essential audience that allowed us to get out of town," and dedicated it in particular to old friend Russ Clem, who always introduced Steel Mill at their Richmond shows.

A welcome return from the Magic record, "I'll Work for Your Love," was in part a celebration of Clarence -- "The Big Man just got married!" -- who raised his arms victoriously. "The Promised Land," though setlisted, got a needed rest for the third show running. In all, 13 songs not performed at the previous show in Charleston, also including "Cadillac Ranch" and, previously played only in Amsterdam on this tour, "Stand on It." "This is a little obscure," Bruce said to introduce the latter, "but that's why we're here!" With only five shows left on the tour, ain't it nice that we're all on the same page?

Quarter to Three !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!