Springsteen article

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Price You Pay - that is a sad song.

Wonderful song from what I refer to as Bruce's bi-polar album. Light hearted, fun rockers and dark, bitter, personal songs. So diverse. So energetic. Has four of his best songs ever (The Ties that Bind, The River, Independence Day, The Price You Pay).

Bruce's White Album.

Me too - sometimes, I prefer the version on Tracks.

Yeah...the 'Son you may kiss the bride ' verison is pretty nice.

The second disc of Tracks is a real revelation. How did he not release Dollhouse, Take 'em as they come, Loose End, I wanna be with you, I wanna be where the Bands are in this time period is a real mystery to me.

A lot of people really don't get Springsteen. The Born in the USA period laid some really heavy baggage on him. His depth of vision and artistry has been a cornerstone of the American music scene for over 30 years.

As a side note, I am desperately hoping for a 30th anniversary re-release of Darkness on the Edge of Town similar to the Born to Run package. Even though I have a number of boots from that legendary 1978 tour, I really want to see a DVD of the Cleveland (Agora Ballroom) or LA (The Roxy) shows and a live cd release.

The sound of that album is uh, something. I wonder if re-mastering could fix it.

Let's go ahead and be honest about it...the sound and mix of that album is horrible.

That would be the point of re-releasing it. Steve has voiced his wish to remaster it and Bruce has shown more amenable to reworking his cataloge than in the past. Maybe...just maybe.

Let's go ahead and be honest about it...the sound and mix of that album is horrible.

That would be the point of re-releasing it. Steve has voiced his wish to remaster it and Bruce has shown more amenable to reworking his cataloge than in the past. Maybe...just maybe.

That's right - he has said that.

Saw Bruce last night in Kansas City for 3 awesome hours and 30 fabulous songs! Last night of the tour.Some say it's probably Clarence's last tour. During the show here and there he was sitting in a dark corner resting. Great show!!!!!Three fellow VC'ers before the show below..

2pqukc0.jpg

Bruce pulled this cute little girl on stage (I got her pic at Chubby's while we were eating 1am pancakes) during "Dancing in the Dark" and they did the Courtney Cox video dance together.He kissed her and then carried her back to her parents.Lucky!

28u2qdu.jpg

Setlist: Ricky Wants A Man of Her Own, Cynthia, Radio Nowhere, No Surrender, Out In the Street, Hungry Heart, Spirit in the Night, Boys (Max), Cadillac Ranch, Working on a Highway, It's All Over Now, Candy's Room, Gypsy Biker, Youngstown, The Promised Land, Living in the Future, Mary's Place, Devils and Dust, The Rising, Last to Die, Long Walk Home, Badlands. Encore: Fourth of July Asbury Park (Sandy), 10th Avenue Freeze-Out, Born to Run, Rosalita, American Land, Save the Last Dance/Dancing in the Dark, Rockin' All Over the World.

Any ONE of the highlighted songs would have been an OMG moment...

SETLIST

Ricky Wants A Man of Her Own

Cynthia,

Radio Nowhere,

No Surrender,

Out In the Street,

Hungry Heart,

Spirit in the Night,

Boys (Max),

Cadillac Ranch,

Working on a Highway,

It's All Over Now,

Candy's Room,

Gypsy Biker,

Youngstown,

The Promised Land,

Living in the Future,

Mary's Place,

Devils and Dust,

The Rising, Last to Die,

Long Walk Home,

Badlands.

Encore:

Fourth of July Asbury Park (Sandy),

10th Avenue Freeze-Out, Born to Run, Rosalita,

American Land,

Save the Last Dance/Dancing in the Dark,

Rockin' All Over the World.

Home-Alone.png

The last few setlists have been ridiculous. KC must have been insane.

Insane, but I am a little disappointed that he has dropped all but a handfull of songs from MAGIC. The MAGIC songs were very nicely performed and worked well in the setlist at the DALLAS show in April.

I wasn't there but St. Louis was full of OMG moments:

1. Then She Kissed Me

2. Radio Nowhere

3. Out In the Street

4. Adam Raised A Cain

5. Spirit In the Night

6. Rendezvous

7. For You

8. Mountain of Love

9. Backstreets

10. Gypsy Biker

11. Because The Night

12. Not Fade Away/She's The One

13. Living In the Future

14. Cover Me

15. Mary's Place

16. Drive All Night

17. The Rising

18. Last to Die

19. Long Walk Home

20. Mona

21. Badlands

22. Girls In Their Summer Clothes

23. Jungleland

24. Detroit Medley

25. Born to Run

26. Dancing in the Dark

27. American Land

28. Thunder Road

29. Little Queenie

30. Twist and Shout

Insane, but I am a little disappointed that he has dropped all but a handfull of songs from MAGIC. The MAGIC songs were very nicely performed and worked well in the setlist at the DALLAS show in April.

Radio Nowhere, Youngstown, Devils & Dust, and Tenth Ave. were the highlights for me. What a night.

Dylan on Thursday. Yes.

Guest Hollinger.

a good friend of mine and huge Springsteen fan from back in the beginning took his son to KC this weekend for his first Springsteen concert. The kids number got drawn for the GA lottery, so they were front row center. He said Bruce kept coming over to them throughout the show and playing it up to his kid. Sounds like a hell of a first Springsteen show. He said most of the setlist was taken from signs in the audience. At the beginning of the show, Bruce collected all the request signs and spread them out around the stage. Him and Steven picked the songs by wandering around and picking out signs. Said each song at the beginning was total chaos and the band realized they were asked to play a lot of shit they haven't done in years, if ever. I guess at one point they found a sign that just said "LET MAX SING" and Steven saw it and busted out laughing. They scrambled to get a mic up for him and let him go at it. Appears that they're just letting loose this tour and having fun. Wish I hadn't missed the show.

a good friend of mine and huge Springsteen fan from back in the beginning took his son to KC this weekend for his first Springsteen concert. The kids number got drawn for the GA lottery, so they were front row center. He said Bruce kept coming over to them throughout the show and playing it up to his kid. Sounds like a hell of a first Springsteen show. He said most of the setlist was taken from signs in the audience. At the beginning of the show, Bruce collected all the request signs and spread them out around the stage. Him and Steven picked the songs by wandering around and picking out signs. Said each song at the beginning was total chaos and the band realized they were asked to play a lot of shit they haven't done in years, if ever. I guess at one point they found a sign that just said "LET MAX SING" and Steven saw it and busted out laughing. They scrambled to get a mic up for him and let him go at it. Appears that they're just letting loose this tour and having fun. Wish I hadn't missed the show.

It was a good time! He picked this little girl out of the front row and they did the Courtney Cox shuffle together...then she did a cartwheel and Bruce sorta did one. It was the coolest scene. I got her pic @ Chubby's after the show. She was so happy, but who wouldn't be.

2hgdz14.jpg

• 2 months later...
Report: New Springsteen Album Due In January

November 05, 2008 , 6:00 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Bruce Springsteen's next album is expected for release around the time of Barack Obama's January inauguration as the 44th president of the United States next January, according to Backstreets.com.

The follow-up to 2007's "Magic" will likely contain the song "Workin' on a Dream," which Springsteen debuted last weekend at an Obama rally in Cleveland.

No other information is known about the project, and a rep for the artist was unavailable for comment. Springsteen is known to have had a wealth of material left over from "Magic" sessions with producer Brendan O'Brien, but it's unknown whether any of those songs will make the cut.

The artist campaigned tirelessly for Obama during the homestretch of the election, playing fundraisers and rallies across the country. Tonight, he will perform at New York's Town Hall as part of the Stand Up for Heroes benefit, alongside his wife Patti Scialfa and comedians Whoopi Goldberg and Ricky Gervais.

Workin' on a Dream - Youtube link

Wow...

What a prolific period for Bruce.

Nice song with sweet melody and nice harmonies. Bruce has certainly had an interesting career arc

I am assuming this will be an E-Street Band effort.

I sure was hoping for a 30th anniversary remixed version of DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN with an accompanying dvd of a live show (Cleveland Agora, LA Roxy, Phoenix...)

I am assuming this will be an E-Street Band effort.

Reports are that this is being recorded much the same way that Magic was - with various band members coming and going. There are also pretty strong rumours of shows, February/March in Europe and April/May in North America. So yeah, E Street Band effort I think.

Wow...

What a prolific period for Bruce.

great song! i love it when patti sings with him. not a huge fan of her voice, but they make great harmony together. hopefully the new record will be more acoustic. magic was a bit overproduced, but still great. and yes, the dude has been prolific as hell! rising, devils, seeger, magic...and touring basically all the time! nutz. where does he get the energy. i am a little more than half his age and am exhausted all the time :thumbup