I was wondering if anyone knows how long John Doe's set is so I know what time I should enter the show.

At the 9:30, it was doors at 7 pm, John Doe at 8, he played for 45 minutes, then Wilco at 9.

John Doe's set was great, I thought--a bit punkier than I was expecting, given his recent work, but great. And he had Nels playing with him for 2 songs.

I'm jealous that more recent crowds have gotten Nels sitting in on John Doe's set! He went on and off at the Tower at the same time, and he played his ass off despite the fact that there was a very small (but responsive) crowd at that point. I agree with EphSooner--John Doe was great, and I really encourage you not to skip him. If you're curious what he sounds like, you can hear his set from the other night archived on the same part of the NPR website as Wilco's.

I'm jealous that more recent crowds have gotten Nels sitting in on John Doe's set! He went on and off at the Tower at the same time, and he played his ass off despite the fact that there was a very small (but responsive) crowd at that point. I agree with EphSooner--John Doe was great, and I really encourage you not to skip him. If you're curious what he sounds like, you can hear his set from the other night archived on the same part of the NPR website as Wilco's.

Yes, I was going to skip him. I am just not huge on opening bands that I have never heard of, but maybe I will go check him out. It sounds like he is worth watching.

Yes, I was going to skip him. I am just not huge on opening bands that I have never heard of, but maybe I will go check him out. It sounds like he is worth watching.

:blink

You should try being a little more open minded. I'm sure at some point you had never heard of Wilco either.

Also, Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys played on his last record. Should be great to hear Nels play those same leads.