NIN new music distribution method

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/03/03/in...=googlenews_wsj

NIN and new music business models. this is short and really interesting. i am fascinated by what's happening with music distribution and i love what rez is doing here. i am reminded of something i heard steve albini say in an interview where he saw the future of music being like church. every band builds a following and caters to them. in turn, the 'followers' support the band. i see magnolia electric as this type of band. although on a label, jason has such a devoted following that sees him every time he comes to town etc. Albini also said that being in a band has to be about loving it and not getting rich. so, do we really need the middle man, the record company. like most folks, we're gonna buy the stuff we really like, maybe even a few times. the shit we download is usually just that, shit. we don't have to buy cds and be totally dissapointed that it sucks. will be interesting to see what the record co.s do.

thoughts

I applaud the ingenuity. We (the masses) are always looking for new ways to 'score'. I've love NIN for many years, will definitely check out the site.

wow, that was an interesting article. imagine going to the bathroom at a Wilco show and finding a MP3 player full of never-heard-before demos and home recordings from the band :thumbup . that signed vinyl thing sounds neat too. I know hardcore fans would def. throw down on stuff like that, possibly helping to off-set the amount of money lost from illegal file sharing.

back in '02, Joseph Arthur released 4 vinyl EPs called 'Junkyard Hearts' and each copy was hand painted by him. now, they fetch like $500 each. stuff like this interests me and gives me hope in regards to the future of music distribution. :dancing

wow, that was an interesting article. imagine going to the bathroom at a Wilco show and finding a MP3 player full of never-heard-before demos and home recordings from the band :thumbup . that signed vinyl thing sounds neat too. I know hardcore fans would def. throw down on stuff like that, possibly helping to off-set the amount of money lost from illegal file sharing.

back in '02, Joseph Arthur released 4 vinyl EPs called 'Junkyard Hearts' and each copy was hand painted by him. now, they fetch like $500 each. stuff like this interests me and gives me hope in regards to the future of music distribution. :dancing

yeah, like if it is a band i really like, then i am the one that is gonna go for the 35 song download at 256kbs. i also want to support the artist. those who download illegally wouldn't have bought the album anyway. file sharing is not ruining the record business, bad music is. i really think people support the artists they like. BUT, the shit that is on top 40 is just that, shit. and the kids know it. so they download it for free knowing they'll be sick of it in 3 weeks. there's no incentive for them to buy any of that stuff. where as back in the 70s, bands were around for awhile and built a following and this is how the record companies did it. they are the culprits of their own demise.

yeah, like if it is a band i really like, then i am the one that is gonna go for the 35 song download at 256kbs. i also want to support the artist. those who download illegally wouldn't have bought the album anyway. file sharing is not ruining the record business, bad music is. i really think people support the artists they like. BUT, the shit that is on top 40 is just that, shit. and the kids know it. so they download it for free knowing they'll be sick of it in 3 weeks. there's no incentive for them to buy any of that stuff. where as back in the 70s, bands were around for awhile and built a following and this is how the record companies did it. they are the culprits of their own demise.

:worship

You are right on the money.. The top 40 needs more bands like Wilco to take the place of the shit bands (or singers, dancers, or other garbage in the top 40).. Good bands, like the various bands discussed here at VC.. Bands that don't suck and are liked by people with good taste in music.

One of the members in my band is currently writing his college thesis on this subject. It talks about how Art/Music is sadly, dieing out.. And it's because of record companies that just want to sell an image and music that has no artistic meaning, just a catchy tune that gets old fast.. But thank God their are still good bands around that are finding success..

within the last few days, nin sold out all 2500 of their $300 package. the site is finally back up after it crashed. this is awesome.

Awesome is right - that's $750,000.

Imagine what other bands with a huge adoring fan base could make on future releases. Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews could charge $1000 for a limited edition of 2500 hand signed copies of their next release and sell every one of them.

:worship

You are right on the money.. The top 40 needs more bands like Wilco to take the place of the shit bands (or singers, dancers, or other garbage in the top 40).. Good bands, like the various bands discussed here at VC.. Bands that don't suck and are liked by people with good taste in music.

One of the members in my band is currently writing his college thesis on this subject. It talks about how Art/Music is sadly, dieing out.. And it's because of record companies that just want to sell an image and music that has no artistic meaning, just a catchy tune that gets old fast.. But thank God their are still good bands around that are finding success..

well said my friend. although, i am a bit more optimistic than your friend's thesis. i think the death of the RIAA will mean the death of the middle man. as a result, all the money i pay for wilco stuff, will go straight to wilco, not some capitalist. :thumbup

• 2 months later...
Nine Inch Nails Gives Away New Album Digitally

Nine Inch Nails

May 05, 2008, 10:30 AM ET

Susan Visakowitz, N.Y.

Nine Inch Nails, in a surprise move, posted access to a free download of its complete new album, "The Slip," on its Web site this morning (May 5).

The ten-track album is available in several formats, including MP3 and high-quality lossless formats, via a link on NIN.com.

A statement on the site from frontman Trent Reznor says simply,

I recall reading somewhere that Daniel Lanois was going to do that also. I wonder how long it would take to download something that big? It would be like snagging a movie file.

i had no problem this morning. he dropped a hint 2 weeks ago that something would happen on may 5th.

jorge--he offers flac's for all his d/l's! and the multi tracks!

I recall reading somewhere that Daniel Lanois was going to do that also. I wonder how long it would take to download something that big? It would be like snagging a movie file.

i haven't really had any time issues when d/l'ing the full album,s or the multi tracks.

i had no problem this morning. he dropped a hint 2 weeks ago that something would happen on may 5th.

i haven't really had any time issues when d/l'ing the full album,s or the multi tracks.

Well, what I meant was - FLAC torrents are usually 400-500 Mbs, whereas Mp3 torrents are 50-60 mbs, for example. So - I would think a WAV torrent would be 800-900 mb? I don't know - I have never messed with such a thing. Although, I recall dudes upping WAV torrents on Oink. I know this is not Bit Torrent we are talking about - How big it the WAV file in size?

Right, providing FLAC's is fairly common at this point, but he's offering 24-bit WAV files or something like that. Mucho bandwidth. Totally uncompressed.

I, too, have yet to receive my email back. I figured they are rolling them out slowly to even out the bandwidth demand.

i got my e-mail within seconds. dowloading the massive 1.5 gb wave files at home, and listening to the mp3 version right now. sounding good :thumbup

i got my e-mail within seconds. dowloading the massive 1.5 gb wave files at home, and listening to the mp3 version right now. sounding good :thumbup

Now, keep track of how long that takes - I am curious.

it's 1.43gb, at current speeds, i'd say 31/2 hrs