Metro (chicago venue) nixes Ticketmaster

More likely, it'll just mean that Metro will no longer attract the same kinds of artists it used to. :hmm

oh i dunno about that...

the Twin Cities is a good example of how you can still attract great bands without Clear Channel/Live Nation/Ticketmaster ruling the city

oh i dunno about that...

the Twin Cities is a good example of how you can still attract great bands without Clear Channel/Live Nation/Ticketmaster ruling the city

Is that an apples-to-apples comparison, though? Metro is just one venue in a city with dozens of venues its size or larger, so it's a pretty insignificant percentage of the whole.

I don't know anything about the Twin Cities' situation, but you spoke in terms of a city rather than a single venue. If all (or most) of the Twin Cities venues are banded together against TicketBastard, then sure, that can work -- but it wouldn't be comparable to Metro flying solo in a competitive environment.

I hope you're right, and that Metro can still bring in the same caliber of artists as before ... but I'll believe it when I see it.

Loyalties. Promoters. Back-scratchers.

Maybe.

I don't see it. They mostly book their own shows, or work with some of the independent promoters in Chicago. The room is so well established and has a fantastic location. Tickets will still be available at the box office which is open more than not, and through a website. The only loss is outlets and large fees.

Also, Live Nation is dropping Ticketmaster when their contract expires at the end of 2008. This represents 15% of TM's total revenue. Live Nation will be launching their own service in 2009.

Also, Live Nation is dropping Ticketmaster when their contract expires at the end of 2008. This represents 15% of TM's total revenue. Live Nation will be launching their own service in 2009.

Being that Live Nation is the demon spawn of Clear Channel, I expect their ticketing service to be at least as evil as TicketBastard.

I misunderstood. I didn't realize you were referring to one specific venue (Metro?). I have no idea the policy behind that particular venue but was referring to the impact on a city, in general, and the links between artists/bookings/ticket sources.

Maybe.

I don't see it. They mostly book their own shows, or work with some of the independent promoters in Chicago. The room is so well established and has a fantastic location. Tickets will still be available at the box office which is open more than not, and through a website. The only loss is outlets and large fees.

Is that an apples-to-apples comparison, though? Metro is just one venue in a city with dozens of venues its size or larger, so it's a pretty insignificant percentage of the whole.

I don't know anything about the Twin Cities' situation, but you spoke in terms of a city rather than a single venue. If all (or most) of the Twin Cities venues are banded together against TicketBastard, then sure, that can work -- but it wouldn't be comparable to Metro flying solo in a competitive environment.

I hope you're right, and that Metro can still bring in the same caliber of artists as before ... but I'll believe it when I see it.

they aren't, they're all indepedent of one another (other than the Hennepin Theater trust (which includes 3 diff theaters).

the local promoters here forced Clear Channel out of town about 2-3 years ago.

sure Ticketmaster still sells tickets for about 80% of bigger shows in town, but they don't have an exclusivity deal, you can buy tickets from the box offices sans any TM fees for every single venue in town that sells through TM.

Chicago has Jam Productions and Billions... they will do just fine.

the Metro, like First Ave, has the history and loyalty that it doesn't really matter.

Being that Live Nation is the demon spawn of Clear Channel, I expect their ticketing service to be at least as evil as TicketBastard.

You can expect that! From what I read, I don't see the fees being less. Also, Live Nation will now have full control of the tickets. They plan to run their pricing like an airline. Prices can change at anytime based on ticket sales.

sure Ticketmaster still sells tickets for about 80% of bigger shows in town, but they don't have an exclusivity deal, you can buy tickets from the box offices sans any TM fees for every single venue in town that sells through TM.

I wish Jam would do that in Chicago. They only sell advance tickets without fees at their venues with a box office. The Riv and the Aragon only have a box office open an hour before showtime. If you want tickets in advance, you need to go thru TM.

i believe the 9:30 club in DC refuses to use TicketBastard and doesn't seem to have any problems booking bands. :)

I was just going to chime in with exactly that sentiment. I don't think 930 has ever used ticketmaster.