• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

second time at the pool tonight since coming back from out of town......I have really picked up my freestyle! I am now almost going freestyle 50% of my swim. almost. :thumbup

I really need to get a swim cap and goggles.

That's awesome, Kate!! Keep it up!

I knew I forgot to do something... crap. Kiefer is a great starting point for swim gear, even if you only do online window shopping and then go to a local store to check out things in person.

goggles on Kiefer

swim caps on Kiefer

The goggles are hard to advise on because it depends on your preferences of shape and padding. There is everything from Swedish goggles (no padding, very small coverage -- I would avoid these,) to plastic with rubber padding, to plastic with foam padding, and probably more that I can't think of. Tinted, untinted, mirrored, colored, one-piece (as in the goggles and strap are all one giant piece -- this is what the rubbery ones are, I think TYR makes them,) and so on. It's a lot like picking out glasses; you have to find what fits your face and what you're comfortable with.

Swim caps are easier to advise on if you know how much you want to spend and if you want cloth or something else.

Lycra caps are the cloth ones. They're mid-priced. They'll keep hair out of your eyes but can be kind of sluggish, lots of drag. They are good for people with lots of hair, since they expand easily.

Latex caps are the cheapest. They rip easily but do the job. They're not that good for people with long hair -- it's too much to stuff under a latex cap. They need some care (putting baby powder in them after a swim) or they stick to themselves when they dry, which makes them rip easier.

Silicone caps are the most expensive. They're thick, durable, and streamlined. I think they'd be fine for people with long hair, but it may take some creative piling on the head or braiding to get everything under the cap. These are what the pros use (and the serious high schoolers!)

If you've got $10 to spend on a cap, I'd recommend silicone. If you're a casual swimmer who wants to keep hair out of your eyes or have really long hair, I'd get lycra. They're about $7. Also if you're prone to headaches from things being tight on your head, go for the lycra. I'd avoid latex.

i have one of those from when i did penguin plunge. it is quite comfy.

penguinsm.JPG

OMC, your photo editing on that picture is priceless. (And you do look adorable.)

oh yeah, last night in the pool I had a whiff of a fish smell at this one end of the pool. Must have been some chemical strangeness or something - but for a moment I totally panicked and looked around me half expecting to see some giant bass underneath me. I then realized, holy crap, when we do the triathlon swim? It's in a lake? There are fish in lakes. Shit. I hope I don't have a panic attack like half way through!! :)

oh yeah, last night in the pool I had a whiff of a fish smell at this one end of the pool. Must have been some chemical strangeness or something - but for a moment I totally panicked and looked around me half expecting to see some giant bass underneath me. I then realized, holy crap, when we do the triathlon swim? It's in a lake? There are fish in lakes. Shit. I hope I don't have a panic attack like half way through!! :)

I think it's man-made--and hopefully not stocked with fish! :yay

i have done this thing three times, and not once have i seen a fish in that lake - i think they get scared away by the thousands of women splashing around. :)

plus, if you do start to feel panicky, they have "swim angels" who will give you a noodle to hang on to until you calm down.

i have done this thing three times, and not once have i seen a fish in that lake - i think they get scared away by the thousands of women splashing around. :)

plus, if you do start to feel panicky, they have "swim angels" who will give you a noodle to hang on to until you calm down.

"swim angels"--good to know.

So Fick, you're coming out for this for sure? And Kate, you're registered? I just don't know about the swimming part. :ohwell

I figure is there are fish, they wouldn't been too keen on all the splashing - but just the idea of their presence? terrifying......yes, it's an irrational phobia, but a phobia nonetheless....... I have fissues!!

--

I am indeed registered :)

I figure is there are fish, they wouldn't been too keen on all the splashing - but just the idea of their presence? terrifying......yes, it's an irrational phobia, but a phobia nonetheless....... I have fissues!!

Totally understandable! We swim in my parents' pond, and I've been nibbled by fish before. FREAKY SHIT!

i am there for sure - all registered and everything. if i'm not already in iowa by then, i will probably fly into chicago the thursday or friday before the race.

the swim is really not as bad as it seems, it's more of a mental thing for a lot of people. or, you could do a team!

i am there for sure - all registered and everything. if i'm not already in iowa by then, i will probably fly into chicago the thursday or friday before the race.

the swim is really not as bad as it seems, it's more of a mental thing for a lot of people. or, you could do a team!

You're probably right on the mental thing. But I would love to find teammates since I have a totally crappy bike, too.

KC, wanna swim? Any bikers out there? I'm all about the run. I'm not fast, but I'm steady. :lol

I have been doing the length of the swim every time I go to to the pool, and then some....I usually swim for 40 min and I typically have 10 min of swimming time after I have done the 1/2 mile......it is very doable. I also am working on strengthening my backstroke. I was hauling ass last night with that one. :)

I have been doing the length of the swim every time I go to to the pool, and then some....I usually swim for 40 min and I typically have 10 min of swimming time after I have done the 1/2 mile......it is very doable. I also am working on strengthening my backstroke. I was hauling ass last night with that one. :)

Oh man, I'm so impressed with your dedication! I know I'll be awful about "training." :ohwell You must be so proud of your progress!

well, I had already made the commitment to go to the gym at least every other day - I am on a fitness/weight loss push.....so the triathlon is just a bonus incentive and gives me some concrete goals apart from my weight....which is good, because when I focus on weight I can become a bit crazy and frustrated. :)

I am amazed at how much better I am swimming now than I was just a few weeks ago.

The run is going to be the VERY hard part for me. I think I will do it on the treadmill today when we go to the gym, before I swim.....even if I walk the whole thing. The knowledge that you can do the distance is the first battle. :)

well, I had already made the commitment to go to the gym at least every other day - I am on a fitness/weight loss push.....so the triathlon is just a bonus incentive and gives me some concrete goals apart from my weight....which is good, because when I focus on weight I can become a bit crazy and frustrated. :)

I am amazed at how much better I am swimming now than I was just a few weeks ago.

The run is going to be the VERY hard part for me. I think I will do it on the treadmill today when we go to the gym, before I swim.....even if I walk the whole thing. The knowledge that you can do the distance is the first battle. :)

Yeah, I should figure out how many times across my parents' pond the swim would be--I could practice there rather than trying to get to a pool. At least then the girls can come with me and play on the beach while I swim. Hmmmm....

You know what? Most people probably speed walk close to the pace I "run" (JOG lol), so you totally can do it! :thumbup I figure if I do this whole thing, I'm not going for speed but completion. :yes

You know what? Most people probably speed walk close to the pace I "run" (JOG lol), so you totally can do it! :thumbup I figure if I do this whole thing, I'm not going for speed but completion. :yes

that is definitely the prevailing attitude - it's all about finishing and girl power and stuff. :yes

Im so with you on this. Did I ever show you the website tht you can take a test to see how serious your ichtyophobia? After researching some, This is q uite common phobia.