we started talking about this over in the RTT, but i wanted to post it over here so more people can see it.

for the past three years, i've participated in the danskin triathlon with my mom, aunts, and cousins. it's an amazing, empowering experience, and everyone can do it (even if you're totally out of shape!)

the race is july 12-13, in kenosha, wisconsin (about a 30-45 minute drive from chicago). i'm already fully committed to do it with my family, and kate (reni) is also sounding like she's in, so if anyone else is interested or wants to find out more about it, let me know.

there is also talk about having a little get together to see a (couple?) baseball game(s) over the same weekend, so for those of you don't want to do the race, but would like to get together all the same. (poppydawn has already volunteered to be our beer-swilling cheerleader) there are games that weekend at both wrigley and miller park, so it's pretty open at the moment.

thoughts?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this event include running/biking/and/or swimming to Mars' Cheese Castle? If so, I'm really, really in.

(In all seriousness, I think I can probably come up that weekend for moral support and such. I also kick ass at fundraising.)

While I have been working out more lately, I don't think I'd survive this event. First, the run...the longest distance I've ever gone was 2 miles, and that was back in high school. I could maybe make it a half-mile before having a heart attack. Second, I don't own a bike. Finally, I could probably make it through the swimming portion, but not quickly.

I think the best place for me would be next to the outlet mall, alongside Poppydawn, with a beer and one of those little handheld fans. :)

I could do the swim, and the bike, and walk the run part since Ted and I regularly walk twice as far as that just for the hell of it.... but damn, you girls are making the fan section sound WAY more delicious and intoxicating!

I am in. I don't know if I will survive or how long it will take me to finish it.....but I will give it my best effort.

Mars' Cheese Castle......passed it many a time, never stopped.

Kate and Kim, I'm not sure I can be friends with people who would voluntarily go past Mars' Cheese Castle and not pay them a visit. I question your judgment and good taste. Like, you might have some of both, and that might be incompatible with my personality.

.75K Swim, 20K Bike, 5K Run

i could pretty easily do the bike and run/walk, but .75 miles swimming is like 54 laps in a 25 yard pool. Maybe if I had 4 days I could do that.

Otherwise, it sounds like all kinds of fun :)

I grew up in Kenosha, and most of my family still lives there. You have to do the Cheese Castle. Also visit Tenuta's Italian Deli, and the Jelly Belly Factory. (They don't actually make them there, but you can still take a tour and buy cheap "belly flops.") It tickles me to no end that VCers will be descending upon Kenosha in July. Maybe my parents can host a dinner or something.

As for the actual triathalon, the swimming would probably be the sticking point for me too. I'd like to just dabble in a few of these - run half a mile or so, swim a little bit, ride a bike a few blocks and call it a day. ;)

.75K Swim, 20K Bike, 5K Run

i could pretty easily do the bike and run/walk, but .75 miles swimming is like 54 laps in a 25 yard pool. Maybe if I had 4 days I could do that.

Otherwise, it sounds like all kinds of fun :)

well, it's .75 K, so only about a half-mile - about 800 yards, or 32 laps.

I grew up in Kenosha, and most of my family still lives there. You have to do the Cheese Castle. Also visit Tenuta's Italian Deli, and the Jelly Belly Factory. (They don't actually make them there, but you can still take a tour and buy cheap "belly flops.")

the bike route goes right by the factory!

I did 8 miles on the bike last night.....averaging about 11mph

I did swim that 1/2 mile in the pool this evening. 35 minutes.....at least I know I can do it, even a good chunk of it was breast stroke. I am struggling with freestyle. My body doesn't tire out, though my breathing does.....any pointers?