David Foster Wallace....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure, but i'll have one of those mini-heineken kegs in the parking lot for the tailgate! see everybody for buckets of beer at kam's after the show.

:lol. Yet, another time where I wish I live in Chicago.

--Mike

What percentage of those who own Infinite Jest have actually read it? My guess is less than 50%.

I own it and have started it 3-4 times. I've only gotten to around p. 100. Honestly, it's the heft of the book that gets me every time.

I own it and have started it 3-4 times. I've only gotten to around p. 100. Honestly, it's the heft of the book that gets me every time.

When I got this summer, I tried to read about 100 pages a day, and eventually made it through the whole thing in about three weeks. It's overwhelming at times, but it's worth the effort.

--Mike

I have commitment issues with that book. It was on my to-do list for the longest time, but realistically I don't see it happening. If I was ever going to read it, it would have had to be when I was younger and had an infinite amount of free time. With my current reading pace of 5 pages here, 20 pages there, I would probably be lugging the same book around with me for the next 15 years, and that is just bound to do some damage to my spine after a while. (that book weighs more than a Volkswagon!)

I'm not as concerned about it's complexity or accessibility as I am, again, with it's size. And not just because it''s a long book. I've read plenty of long books (The Brother's Karamozov and Moby Dick, etc.) and enjoyed them regardless of their size in length.

Infinite Jest is physically challenging to read. To hold. It's not a book one can take into the bathroom easily. Nor lay in bed with easily. Nor sit in a chair with easily. Nor take with you on a bus ride or to the park or pool easily. It's a cumbersome tome.

Also, although everyone always says how awesome the book is and "stick with it" (one of my brothers, in particular), I still have trouble liking what I read in the same 100 pages or so that I can never get past.

I want to read the book, though. Maybe an audio tape would be best for me.

I agree that it can be cumbersome, but, just think, reading is one of, if not the most physically passive, low activity past times out there, maybe even more so than watching television, however, given its size, reading and handling IJ gives a workout not unlike what you might receive from an hour of weight training at the gym.

So, not only will your brain receive a workout, you

You mentioned Gravity's Rainbow--a book which is probably directly responsible for my hesitance here. I like Pynchon, too, but that book has proven to be one of the more maddening experiences of my reading career in that I will come to it and read avidly for the first few days and then I inevitably put it down for a few days and when I come back to it I'm like "Wait, WTF is going on?? I can't even remember what I just read a few days ago!" :frusty And I end up starting over and the cycle repeats itself endlessly...

Somewhere on my list of things to do before I die is "Finish reading Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, dammit!"

You mentioned Gravity's Rainbow--a book which is probably directly responsible for my hesitance here. I like Pynchon, too, but that book has proven to be one of the more maddening experiences of my reading career in that I will come to it and read avidly for the first few days and then I inevitably put it down for a few days and when I come back to it I'm like "Wait, WTF is going on?? I can't even remember what I just read a few days ago!" :frusty And I end up starting over and the cycle repeats itself endlessly...

Somewhere on my list of things to do before I die is "Finish reading Gravity's Rainbow and Infinite Jest, dammit!"

That is exact same issue I continue to run into

I gave up on Gravity's Rainbow. I suspect I would do the same thing with Infinite Jest. I am not so much into novels anymore.

I gave up on Gravity's Rainbow. I suspect I would do the same thing with Infinite Jest. I am not so much into novels anymore.

If you have any interest in reading Wallace, his book of essays - A Supposedly Fun Thing I

just think, reading is one of, if not the most physically passive, low activity past times out there, maybe even more so than watching television

This is false. The brain is very active when reading and in a much more passive mode when watching tv.

This is false. The brain is very active when reading and in a much more passive mode when watching tv.

just think, reading is one of, if not the most physically passive, low activity past times out there, maybe even more so than watching television

Reading often tires me out.