The Flaming Lips in advertisements...

This goes out to Hype as well.

Just because somebody goes along with something doesn't mean they aren't being objectified. And the point you made Hype hits the nail on the head. MEN LIKE WOMEN that way, not women naturally decided shaving their legs and pits was awesome. If women don't conform to these standards they will be ostracized by our society.

So do men who grow giant beards or really long hair.

A women with hair on her legs is natural.

It's also gross.

But being natural won't let her get a job on wall street, or a lead role in a movie.

Same with an unkempt man who grows a giant beard.

The Lips putting these images on their screen is reenforcing societies stereotypes. Yet wayne babbles on about bringing people together and making a difference, I don't think those ideas go along with the oppression of women, something he is taking part in promoting.

You must be a 19 year old art student. There's no opression of women going on at a Lips show.

So do men who grow giant beards or really long hair.

It's also gross.

Same with an unkempt man who grows a giant beard.

You must be a 19 year old art student. There's no opression of women going on at a Lips show.

Your right people with beards and long hair get the same treatment. And its ridiculous. If your girlfriend/wife/lover asked you to shave your legs cause she thought your leg hair was gross I would imagine you (or many) would think twice.

Your right there isn't any direct oppression going on at a lips show. THey aren't telling you not to like women who go against that image, but they are promoting said image. And for a band that preaches equality, well I don't know how you can take them seriously.

As for you Chompsky:

Your dam right I have my views and I'm glad you have yours. But you haven't been able to even discuss them, you've just told me I'm silly. Capitalism breeds oppression (there I said it I won't beat around the bush), this is a forum of said oppression. I'd be willing to have an educated discussion but neither of you seem to be able to do that.

Because I think it's a silly discussion to be having. These women have the right to pose naked, shave their legs, etc. Nobody is forcing them to, and I think it's silly to think you have to protect them. If you don't want to see it, leave, that is also your right.

Because I think it's a silly discussion to be having. These women have the right to pose naked, shave their legs, etc. Nobody is forcing them to, and I think it's silly to think you have to protect them. If you don't want to see it, leave, that is also your right.

My argument is that many women are manipulated from day one.

Markosis: Your right this was about commercials, I brought it up because I think it relates.

Do you get all pissed off every time Brad Pitt takes his shirt off in a movie?

Well I try not to watch crap but yes. Women aren't the only ones in are society getting objectified. There are many unnecessary pressures placed on men as well.

Allison "you're" right, I really do need to work on my grammar.

It's the way society works. If you go to a different society, there will be different, but equally 'harmful' pressures.

I'm gonna allow this conversation get back to where it started but check your inbox Chompsky, I'd like to continue talking if you don't mind.

I'm no fan of THDW, but I have to back him up on this one. "Jump the Shark", can be used in reference to anything/anyone that was once cool, no longer being so. I've heard this explained numerous times by the man who created the term, Jon Hein. He's a member of a popular radio program that I listen to on a daily basis, and I take his word for it.

Well I try not to watch crap but yes. Women aren't the only ones in are society getting objectified. There are many unnecessary pressures placed on men as well.

Allison "you're" right, I really do need to work on my grammar.

also, you looked at her name before you replied to her, and yet you still spelled it incorrectly.

I enjoy hearing Band of Horses in that one car commercial. I agree that all of the issues discussed are very polarizing (including grammar), but I do enjoy hearing music I like during a commercial break. It doesn't mean I'm going to buy whatever they are advertising, if anything it means I'll go put that album on.