Favorite album(s) by....

Hey no problem...if there is still someone on the planet who cares about the Doors it is okay with me....

Actually I have ended up supporting them in the past, but frankly they don't do much for me anymore...however I never tire of the Byrds, particularly the pre-flyte sessions.

LouieB

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be Notorious Byrd Brothers. It set the precedent for alll that is adventuroud and good in 60s pop music. Anything else considered above this in Byrds folklore is both heresey and wrong. Seriously, think about it, Draft Morning, Change is Now, Draft Morning. Old John Robertson....thats four songs that are stone-wall classics.

It has to be Notorious Byrd Brothers. It set the precedent for alll that is adventuroud and good in 60s pop music. Anything else considered above this in Byrds folklore is both heresey and wrong. Seriously, think about it, Draft Morning, Change is Now, Draft Morning. Old John Robertson....thats four songs that are stone-wall classics.

Notorious Byrd Brothers is sort of a transitional album acually. David Crosby was about done.

Strangely no mention of two Goffin/King tunes Goin' Back and Wasn't Born to Follow (later featured in Easy Rider) and the also quite good Get to You.

LouieB

And also Draft Morning...

The Alternate End version, of course :thumbup

Notorious Byrd Brothers is sort of a transitional album acually. David Crosby was about done.

Yes, hence the horse head on the cover replacing him. Although he was pretty much out of the way, his ode to the three-way, Triad, which you can find in the bonus tracks, is one of his finest Byrd moments.

Strangely no mention of two Goffin/King tunes Goin' Back and Wasn't Born to Follow (later featured in Easy Rider) and the also quite good Get to You.

LouieB

No mention because I was working from memory, but those two are fantastic also. For me, this was Byrds' breakthrough album, with all emphasis placed on 'album'. The preceding albums, whilst good and sporadically amazing, always seemed to me more like collections of potential singles' fodder, whereas this had a more consistent and cohesive feel. Younger Than Yesterday did also to some degree, but the NBB songs were far more adventurous, bridging the gaps between pop, psychedelia and country. So, yes, Louie, a transitional album in personnel and sound, but an exceptional one.

. The preceding albums, whilst good and sporadically amazing, always seemed to me more like collections of potential singles' fodder, whereas this had a more consistent and cohesive feel.

This is quite true, but most groups up until the mid-60s were putting out albums with singles fodder..that's where the money was.

LouieB

i wouldn't have said there was anything transitional about notorious at all, it's more like the culmination of what they were doing in various songs on various albums up until that point, put together without any filler. i think they'd been working up to it for some time. the only thing that slightly iggles me at times is the over use of phasing - it doesn't ruin the songs it's used on, but it kind of dates them a bit.

they had that country sound already on a lot of their songs. i just see the albums before as a build up to that one, and then after that, with sweethearts, they just kind of became another band enitrely. but notorious is the peak of what they were doing in the early days (not really in terms of the singles, but the other album tracks when they were experimenting with their style a bit more).

• 4 weeks later...
Release date: May 27, 2008

Label: Sundazed

Okay gang...you want tofreak out...??? ??? I was at that show. No bullshit. When I have talked in the past about seeing this show it was no biggie, just another gig for a late version of the Byrds, now it is an album. Go figure. Very very cool. I will certainly get this immediately. (Of course I bought a ticket late and I was like in the last row of the balcony, but I was in the house....)

LouieB

Okay gang...you want tofreak out...??? ??? I was at that show. No bullshit. When I have talked in the past about seeing this show it was no biggie, just another gig for a late version of the Byrds, now it is an album. Go figure. Very very cool. I will certainly get this immediately. (Of course I bought a ticket late and I was like in the last row of the balcony, but I was in the house....)

LouieB

Lou, I love to freak out. I guess I'll be grabbing this one as well. Very cool.

I wonder how many live albums you are on - so to speak. Kicking Television and now this one - that is two.

Well Neko Case's Tigers album also. Sadly I missed the taping of the Waco Brothers recent release a couple years ago. This one is purely a fluke since it was never intended as an album.

Lou, I love to freak out. I guess I'll be grabbing this one as well. Very cool.

I think I will order it in both CD and LP.....even I am still freaked out.....

LouieB

Well Neko Case's Tigers album also. Sadly I missed the taping of the Waco Brothers recent release a couple years ago. This one is purely a fluke since it was never intended as an album.

I think I will order it in both CD and LP.....even I am still freaked out.....

LouieB

I forgot about that one - as it does not really sound like a live album as I recall.

I forgot about that one - as it does not really sound like a live album as I recall.
It sounds moderately live. The crowd at the show I as at was lively. Actually the comment at the end is from the show Rosie and I were at. Other than that I have no idea if we are on any of the actual cuts.

LouieB

• 1 month later...
I've just listened to the first six albums in a row, and my favourites go like this:

1. Younger than Yesterday (though I dislike the opener) - the most interesting as a whole album

2. Mr Tambourine Man - the most harmonious of the early phase

3. Sweet heart of the Rodeo - it's like another band - a good country album

4. Fifth Dimension (don't like the opner either) - uneven, but the high sides are the most adventurous of their whole body of work

5. Turn Turn Turn - interesting formula: put traditional stuff in electric fashion

6. The Notorious Byrd Brothers - really weird stuff, hard to connect to - but some nice moments

general observation: I'm not a fan of the Byrds and prefer the Doors by a wide marge

As of today, I definitely disagree with me here. My lastest row of listens put Sweetheart of the Rodeo far ahead. I think it's definitive.

It's not a matter of preferring country music to folk-rock or jangle pop, it's just that the Byrds songs have more power in this country setting. All the previous albums sound too formulaic and artificial in comparison. Their folk-rock formula was nice, but that's it.

• 5 months later...

I am playing all the Byrds cds today - still some of the best re-master/re-issue cds I have ever bought:

Mr. Tambourine Man

Turn! Turn! Turn!

Fifth Dimension

Younger than Yesterday

Notorious Byrd Brothers

Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde

Ballad of Easy Rider

(Untitled)

Byrdmaniax

Farther Along

Byrds