What's the rarest record or memorabilia you have from any band?

I went back for more and got several Chuck Berry's, another Buddy Holly, Mississippi John Hurt, Bill Haley, Johnny Cash, Bo Diddley, Del Shannon, Leadbelly, Jackie Wilson and Ritchie Valens. In all, a very good weekend. :dancing

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've some rare Jim O'Rourke LPs. like He Who Laughs (which is noted 001/500) So I'm guessing that means it was the first one of the limited batch of 500.

the saddlesore 7" on texas revolution, not the drag city re-issue.

probably some other stuff too I'd have to check.

I went back for more and got several Chuck Berry's, another Buddy Holly, Mississippi John Hurt, Bill Haley, Johnny Cash, Bo Diddley, Del Shannon, Leadbelly, Jackie Wilson and Ritchie Valens. In all, a very good weekend. :dancing

Wow, I'm very jealous!

I love looking thru stacks of vinyl.......the mystery of whats next in the stack can be thrilling.

I don't know if anyone would consider it rare, but I have an original LP of Combat Rock with the 2000 Flushes commercial at the end of Innoculated City. From what I understand, there were about 100K copies distributed before the 2000 Flushes people issued a cease and desist letter to the Clash's record label. Subsequent copies deleted the commercial.

Wow, I'm very jealous!

I love looking thru stacks of vinyl.......the mystery of whats next in the stack can be thrilling.

To say the least!!!! Just when you think you'd never run across something grand - there it is. :shifty

Even if no records can be found at yard sales, always ask if they have any. I can't tell you how many times I cherry picked boxes left out of a sale simply because they thought nobody would want them. Warning: When you ask, be prepared to hear all about their collection if they have some and aren't selling them. However, sometimes offering to transfer the music to CD will pry that elusive copy you want out of their clutch. Most just simply want the music.

To say the least!!!! Just when you think you'd never run across something grand - there it is. :shifty

Even if no records can be found at yard sales, always ask if they have any. I can't tell you how many times I cherry picked boxes left out of a sale simply because they thought nobody would want them. Warning: When you ask, be prepared to hear all about their collection if they have some and aren't selling them. However, sometimes offering to transfer the music to CD will pry that elusive copy you want out of their clutch. Most just simply want the music.

Yeah, I always ask about records and fishing stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I found 12 sealed blue note jukebox mini lps. (plays 33 1/3) Donald Byrd, Jimmy Smith, etc.

I can't seem to find when they were made. The deadwax on one that I opened is stamped Van Gelder. Title strips and album cover "stamps" are inside.

Anybody familiar with these or adept at blue note label variations?....................anybody?

I found 12 sealed blue note jukebox mini lps. (plays 33 1/3) Donald Byrd, Jimmy Smith, etc.

I can't seem to find when they were made. The deadwax on one that I opened is stamped Van Gelder. Title strips and album cover "stamps" are inside.

Anybody familiar with these or adept at blue note label variations?....................anybody?

Wow..nice. I assume you are talking about 10 inch LPs? or maybe 7 inchers. They have to be from the 50s or 60s. Rudy VanGelder did most of the engineering on Blue Note. Blue Note REcords The Biography is an interesting book about the label, but I don't remember anything in it about small LPs. I know 10 inch LPs were very popular (I have a few of them, but not any Blue Notes) during the 50s.

There is now a much heralded 45 RPM release of some of the Blue Notes aimed at audiophiles, since they are very pricey.

LouieB

Thanks LouieB! yes, they are 7" and luckily there were 2 copies of some. The sound is terrrific.

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley - Autumn Leaves/One For Daddy-O

Blues Walk - Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk/Masquerade Is Over

Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special/One O'Clock Jump

Vibrations - The 3 Sounds - The Frown - Let's Go get Stoned/It Was A Very Good Year - Something You Got

The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder/Gary's Notebook

Free Form - Donald Byrd - Pentecostal Feeling/Nai Nai

Joyride - Stanley Turrentine - River's Invitation/Mattie T

Rough 'N Tumble - Stanley Turrentine - And Satisfy/Walk On By

Thanks LouieB! yes, they are 7" and luckily there were 2 copies of some. The sound is terrrific.

Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley - Autumn Leaves/One For Daddy-O

Blues Walk - Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk/Masquerade Is Over

Midnight Special - Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special/One O'Clock Jump

Vibrations - The 3 Sounds - The Frown - Let's Go get Stoned/It Was A Very Good Year - Something You Got

The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder/Gary's Notebook

Free Form - Donald Byrd - Pentecostal Feeling/Nai Nai

Joyride - Stanley Turrentine - River's Invitation/Mattie T

Rough 'N Tumble - Stanley Turrentine - And Satisfy/Walk On By

Actually this is quite a find.....(want to part with the doubles?? I will be happy to pay...)

Most of these are popular titles in the Blue Note catalogue, ones that would naturally be interesting to people on a juke box. I know very little about the 3 Sounds, but apparently they were hot stuff with BN back in the day (so says the Cook book) but frankly they have dropped off most people's radar and I don't believe their records have been reissued. Meanwhile folks like Adderly, Smith, Byrd, Turrentine and even Donaldson were very popular with the general listening public and cearly some of these are these guys hits, standards or popular hits of teh day (Walk on By, Autumn Leaves) or big hits for the artists themselves (Sidewinder, in particular.) Considering who these are and some of the titles I would guess they are from the 60s, not the 50s. Finally some musical material that truely does appear to be rare. Nice...(they are 33s not 45s???)

LouieB