Definitely one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Apologies to the Queen Mary was incredible! I can only hope the new one is just as good.

Loved Apologies, but saw them live once and it was horrendous.

i missed my handsome furs show last night (one of the guys from wolf parade) due to other social responsibilities, kinda bummed, but the last two times i saw them they were great.

To be fair, at the show I attended they did report that one of the members of the band was ill and unable to participate.

• 3 weeks later...

this record is a total mixed bag...

Dan definitely wins the MVP of this record too, Spencer's tracks aren't nearly as great as his Apologies tunes and could mostly all be trimmed by a minute or more.

Yeah, Spencer (and Dan, for that matter) has been on a downhill slide ever since Apologies, really. He just keeps becoming more and more self-indulgent with each project, it seems. That said, it's weird to me that his biggest problem on this disc is that his songs are mostly pretty boring and never really get off the ground. I think California Dreamer is a great song, but the rest of his tunes are disappointing. Dan, on the other hand, sounds revitalized, and I think quite a few of his songs are winners here. Maybe it's me, but I get a real psychedelic, early '70s vibe from the entire record. Nowhere near as good as the debut, but still pretty damned solid in the scheme of things.

yeah... i'd agree that it's really solid overall but certainly doesn't touch Apologies (nor is there any song on here as good as I'll Believe, Shine A Light, Dear Sons & Daughters, and maybe This Heart's On Fire either.)

while overblown and a bit long, the last song's payoff is definitely worth the long wait i think.

i loved Mary as well.

that first officially released mp3 sounded promising.

then i read about the 'epic' sounding long song.

i get the two singers names mixed up

tell me which is which;

which one sounds kinda like bowie

and which one sounds kinda like beck

i know of all their side projects but have yet to check any of them out.

same with New P's and the Bejar stuff

• 1 month later...

finally have gotten to give this a listen through - though not all at once.

i still love Call It a Ritual - it's the one stuck in my head anyways.

i'm trying to figure out how you keep time on this (for any music theorists) - does it start in 3/4 and change to 4/4 (or something weird) for the mellow part?