I bought an Allison CD for $4 yesterday but haven't listened to it yet. I did finally listen to Washington Square and frankly I am less than impressed with it. A couple of the songs are really good, but the rest just sort of blah, including one that is basically an ad for his satellite radio show. I think Justin out did him this year....

LouieB

I did finally listen to Washington Square and frankly I am less than impressed with it.

LouieB

I can see that -- I will note it was definitely a "grower" for me and I like it much more now than on first listen. Also even if some of the pro-tools-y stuff isn't really perfect, I do appreciate that he's trying to do some different things and hope he keeps experimenting on the musical side. Only lingering disappointment is that there aren't any new songs that are really "tough" lyrically (along the lines of "Rich Man's War," "Oxycontin Blues," "f the cc," "Jerusalem"). I guess everybody is entitled to an album of sweet, upbeat songs every now and then, though, even Steve Earle.

I DO hope the next one has a lot more of the f word and insurrection, though... :thumbup

Oxycontin blues is a good one. And although I have City of Immigrants stuck in my head, it is not nearly as good. It isn't a bad album by any stretch.....just not up to the hype.

Meanwhile I gave Allison Moorer's The Duel, which I bought for $4 a listen. Pretty generic chick rock, heavy on the fuzz guitar and not too exciting on the songs. Meanwhile Jason still has a winner....

LouieB

I'm not sure how much hype Washington Square Serenade has received (simply because I haven't read/heard much myself) but I think it's an excellent album. There are only 1-2 songs on it I don't mind not hearing, and even then they're tolerable. Personally, I appreciate that he's trying some different routes in his music. It still oozes Steve Earle, though.

It was a grower for me, too.

I caught a condensed set of Steve Earle at last year's ACL. About 50% was performed with a DJ. It was rather weird. I have yet to purchase Washington Square, probably b/c I don't have the patience for it to grow on me. Too much other great music out there that diverts my attention. I'd be willing to see Steve again... just want to see if the DJ thing is a phase or not.

Just being honest,

k

We were both in attendance and front-and-center at the Steve Earle show, of which there are pix here:

http://www.93xrt.com/pages/1702592.php?ima...ryXRefId=438279

Looks like Thursday y'all will get to hear it, too.

But yeah, that could very well be my hand or Louie's or Wendy's.

It's none of our hands, you silly. :rolleyes Someone, please get me the fish! Thank you! :fish

PS: We've already bored these people enough with the video.

And I'm moving this to the Steve Earle thread before A-Man shows up. :unsure

Washington Square Serenade is a pleasant enough album with some really catchy tunes (unlike the subpar Revolution..) and a few that just seem disingenuous.... Either way the guy is still a force to be reconded with. I bought a used copy with DVD attached, which I haven't yet watched. Some night I need to haul out all the extra DVDs attached to albums and check them out. I have watched very few of them (or the double sided things like the Son Volt disk.)

LouieB