Now me yellin' at the kids in the back, cause they're banging like

John Hiatt, whose rootsy songs have been recorded by artists as diverse as Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Willie Nelson and B.B. King, will receive the Americana Music Association's lifetime achievement award for songwriting.

<script language=JavaScript>OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); The AMA announced the selection Thursday and will present the honor to Hiatt during its Sept. 18 awards show at the Ryman Auditorium.

"It's a privilege to honor John Hiatt," said Jed Hilly, the group's executive director. "He is the essence of what the Americana songwriter award is all about -- a true artist, a performer and songwriter whose work is steeped in integrity."

Past recipients include Nelson, Rodney Crowell, Guy Clark, Cowboy Jack Clement, John Prine and Billy Joe Shaver.

Born and raised in Indianapolis, Hiatt moved to Nashville when he was 18 and got a songwriting job with Tree Publishing.

He signed with Epic Records and released his debut album "Hangin' Around the Observatory" in 1974. Neither that album nor the follow-up sold well and the label dropped him, but one of the tracks, "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here," became a hit for Three Dog Night.

After some label changes, Hiatt found his niche with 1987's "Bring the Family," a loose, rootsy outing on A&M Records that's largely defined his sound ever since. The album found modest chart success, as did the follow-up, "Slow Turning."

By 1990, other artists were dipping into his catalog, solidifying his reputation as a songwriter's songwriter. Bonnie Raitt had one of the biggest hits of her career with Hiatt's "Thing Called Love" in 1989.

His new album, "Same Old Man," hits stores May 27.

I have been a John Hiatt fan since Bring the Family. He is damned talented and very deserving.

I haven't listened to much of his output from the past few years, but I love his stuff from the '80s and '90s. Good to see him getting some recognition.

I prefer to believe that didn't happen.

i was also living in ignorange of the fact that he would open for Hootie

Guest Jules
That he opened for them or that I saw Hootie? If it was the second I was 15 and clueless! :monkey

The former. I'll cut you some slack on going to the show.

he did play some shows with wilco in like 98 . not sure who was opening for who. at least it takes some of the shame away from opeing for Hootie

I'd managed to forget that he'd opened for Hootie. I saw him solo a year before that and he was so great. I remember being highly disappointed that his live show would be wasted on Hootie fans.

I remember being highly disappointed that his live show would be wasted on Hootie fans.

:lol

He's playing in Madison mid July. think i need to get to that one

I prefer to believe that didn't happen.

Ha ha! The craziest double bill that I ever saw was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble opening for Huey Lewis and The News. What I had to sit through... it was worth it though.

I keed, I keed! I stayed Huey because that's why my ride was there.

John Hiatt is one of the best American songwriters,I think.

I wonder why he

he isn;t overly popular in america either. most people have no clue who he is.
Those people don't live in Chicago where he has been a staple on WXRT from the beginning and where he has played nearly every year or more often since then. No one can help but know him if they listen to XRT even occasionally. He used to be played all the time. (Wilco once or twice opened for him at the Riviera....)

LouieB

he isn;t overly popular in america either. most people have no clue who he is. i was at a convention and the band kicked into a pretty spot on "memphis in the meantime" and i swear i was one of the only people in the room that had a clue. i caught the band on set break and thanked them for it

It

Those people don't live in Chicago where he has been a staple on WXRT from the beginning and where he has played nearly every year or more often since then. No one can help but know him if they listen to XRT even occasionally. He used to be played all the time. (Wilco once or twice opened for him at the Riviera....)

LouieB

Lucky people lives in Chicago :rolleyes , I

LouieB

i have a show that was broadcast on WXRT, and it is simply BADASSS

clearly WXRT has good taste