Any Deals on Guitar Strings?

Hey folks...Anyone know a good place to get a deal on guitar strings? I need to buy in bulk. The D'addario style that I use are about $60 for a ten pack, which is a little steep (musician's friend).

I'm tracking guitars for my album and to keep my tone consistent, I'm mowing through lots of strings. Not changing strings as frequently is not an option.

Guitar Center has 10 packs of D'Addario's for $34.99 in sizes 9&10's.

Sucks for me because I just swiched to 12's and I'll never go back, hell 13's or 14's might even come in to play.

Guitar Center has 10 packs of D'Addario's for $34.99 in sizes 9&10's.

Sucks for me because I just swiched to 12's and I'll never go back, hell 13's or 14's might even come in to play.

I went through a phase with 13's a few years ago -- I figured if they were good enough for Stevie Ray, well . . . yeah, I'm no Stevie Ray (plus it really messed with the setups on the affected guitars). I'm back to 11's.

Musicians Friend often has good deals on bulk strings -- I've gotten cases of D'Addario's fairly cheap. I tend to only order by the case (or whatever the bulk order is). Also try ebay. I used to work at a music store, and after knowing the markup on a single pack of strings . . . Still, with the advent of the internet and musicians friend, it's amazing any independent music stores still exist. Maybe I should go to my nearest one right now and buy a single pack of ridiculously over-priced strings.

i have on occasion purchased batches of lesser know brand strings for a discount online, but i found that i tore through those streings even faster than d'addarios...im back to the 10 packs (i miss the 10 pack with pint glass deal)...if you find a cheaper method please let me know....and now im uber-picky and only buy the 80-20 phosphor bronze custom 11's (i only play with acoustic strings these days)

guess you go with what you know

truth is i steal alot of packs from the store i guitar tech for----shhhhhhh!

j

http://www.hotworship.com/euphonon/acoustic.html

ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS IN SETS

6 String Guitar

Don't forget to specify GAUGE -extra light, light, or medium.

Standard 80/20 Bronze Phospher Bronze

1 doz. sets $22.50 $24.00

1/2 doz. sets $12.00 $13.00

**Gauges: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Extra light .010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047

Light .012 .016 .025 .032 .042 .054

Medium .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056

Usually I use D'addario phosphor bronze light for acoustic.

Thats what I've been playing with on my acoustic for the past few months, really no difference between them and the Martin's I used for so long. My buddy talked me into buying the D'Addario Exetnded Life coated series and swore I would love them. I like to change out my Martin every two weeks or so, and this guy swore that I wouldn't have to change them for 6 months. I really don't believe it but we will see what happens. For 17 bucks they better last and not peel.

Thats what I've been playing with on my acoustic for the past few months, really no difference between them and the Martin's I used for so long.

Several years ago, I made that switch as well, and I actually prefer the D'addario phosphor bronze. Let us know how the extended life series work out. I also change strings a lot, and I would be willing to pay a little more if I could change strings a lot less often.

Ugh....just got back from Guitar Center. $15 for 2 packs -- might as well go to San Quentin and drop the soap... :stunned

Are you referring to acoustic strings? I would hope so. My local shop gives me a 3 pack special at $20 even for D'Addario phosphor bronze.

Let you know how these extended life strings work. I'll probably change my stings in the next week. I bet I go back to the regulars. Just love that ever so fresh feel!

How often do you guys change out? I'm like once every two weeks with atleast an hour of playing per day. It seems my electric strings have lasted longer since I swiched to 12's and the fact I don't get a chance to play at loud volumes very much.

Are you referring to acoustic strings? I would hope so. My local shop gives me a 3 pack special at $20 even for D'Addario phosphor bronze.

Let you know how these extended life strings work. I'll probably change my stings in the next week. I bet I go back to the regulars. Just love that ever so fresh feel!

How often do you guys change out? I'm like once every two weeks with atleast an hour of playing per day. It seems my electric strings have lasted longer since I swiched to 12's and the fact I don't get a chance to play at loud volumes very much.

Same here -- about twice a month, sometimes slightly more on my tele. When I was younger and played a little more, I changed them weekly. It's a good opportunity to clean the guitars, do any needed maintenance, etc.

As for embracing "thuddy, beautifully worn strings," that's not for me. I know some like the sound (I've read an interview with Jeff and Jay about the sounds on "Summerteeth" where they laud old, used strings), but I'm pretty compulsive about changing them out. One of the guys at the music store I worked in as a kid toured as Buddy Guy's rhythm guitar player (he spent his down time at the shop), and he changed strings daily. Of course, he had a sponsorship and a guitar tech. Even when not on tour, though, he changed them out daily,

^^^Hot damn! Are those strings any good? Usually I use D'addario phosphor bronze light for acoustic.

Yeah they are good quality, I perform often and use them all the time. It's crazy because they don't even have their own website, you have to call them up and place the order and send them a check. I was weary about doing this at first, but a friend referred them to me, so I decided to trust him and sure enough about a week later I got a dozen sets of strings back.

You could also embrace thuddy, beautiful, worn strings. They sound better to me. AND it's cheaper.

I really prefer worn strings, at least on my main guitar, Gibson Chet atkins SST...i have the stock UST swapped out and the thing is is ridiculously bright with new strings and Im a pretty percussive player, new strings have too much pop and snap...my martin acoustic can take new strings better however

I also prefer the sound of worn strings. They feel like they're all working together or something. However....three months ago I landed a job with a company that manages and rents ultra high-end and vintage equipment for use in recording studios. All of us have heard this gear on the radio -- it's that widely used.

Anyway...I quickly learned that the guitars get restrung all the time. Each and every time they get used, they get restrung. It seems absurd, especially to a guy who likes worn strings. Now, I feel myself adopting this string changing policy, whether I like it or not!!

I don't change my strings nearly as often as I should. I should probably be changing them every two weeks or so, but I change them every two months or so. Its a combination of laziness and limited time. I'd rather spend the too few minutes I have at night before I pass out tuning to open D and playing a song from Blood on the Tracks.

Then again, I find that there's nothing more zen than changing strings with a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning. There's something really cool about giving new life to your baby as the weekend begins. And then that first strum when they're all on there. Religious. :)

edit: oh, and this is where I get my strings from: http://www.bigcitystrings.com/

Guest Rufer
There's something really cool about giving new life to your baby as the weekend begins. And then that first strum when they're all on there. Religious. :)

But that feeling isn't quite the same if you're changing them every two weeks though. I do know what you mean though.

In general I play a set of strings until I break one--if it's been more than let's say two months, which it nearly always is, I'll change out the set. Any less than two months and I might get real lazy and change out a single string--doesn't happen often though.

I've had a set of flatwounds on my hollowbody for more than a year now. I would estimate my Martin get's changed out every 4 months--whether I break one or not.

I just don't like the sound of bright, tinny strings.

If I didn't change out my D-15 it might swallow me in. That guitar needs some brightness to it, the bass tone alone will cause one shit their pants.

Yeah agreed, I definitely have to change my strings a ton or else they sound too "muddy" to me.

Currently using d'addario bluegrass-gauge phosphor bronzes. Probably playing only an hour a day lately, I still have to change them at least once a week or else I think they sound like crap.

What's weird is that I'm almost opposite with my main electric, which is a hollow body gretsch with flats I've had on there for like six months. To each his own, mate.

And btw I definitely would like to find a lower-cost option too on strings, surely if we keep posting in this thread someone will swoop in here with a great deal they've found...

If I didn't change out my D-15 it might swallow me in. That guitar needs some brightness to it, the bass tone alone will cause one shit their pants.

I hear you. If my old Gibson Dove doesn't have new strings, the bass is overwhelming, and I have to really play with the mic position and eq to record it. The ridiculous adjustable bridge doesn't help (why Gibson, why?).

I have the same guitar and I totally agree. However, I have found that the bass tone allows it to be used nicely on chords with a capo and still retain some deep end.

I have the same guitar and I totally agree. However, I have found that the bass tone allows it to be used nicely on chords with a capo and still retain some deep end.

No shit, I'm in love with capo on 5th! What and evil lucid dream like sound.............Am,Em7,F,Am7