John Rutsey, original Drummer for Rush dies

I've said this before, but I have never really heard any of the albums past Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left.

Some of it is pretty good, just don't go past Power Windows. Its scary territory. Rush sucked from then up until Test For Echo.

I have listened to them all online (somewhat) - I am not really a fan of electronic keyboard centered music - but I am sure there are some good songs here and there. And for those who came in at that point - that is what is going to appeal to them.

Hey, sorry if anyone feels manipulated by the thread title. That wan't my intention. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I chose those words the other day (I guess I wasn't), but I did not intend disrespect. I can see how it appears (or IS) crass and/or manipulative. I apologize for that. No disrespect intended to Peart, Rutsey,Rush, anyone here or anyone else. I'll see if I can change it to something less lame...I don't think I know how to do that, though. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, yeah Rutsey was a solid rock drummer with a great groove and a pretty badass single-stroke roll (see Working Man). I feel like he was similar in style to Woody Woodmansey (Bowie's drummer in the Ziggy/Spiders era). As a young drummer in high school Rush was my favorite band. Hearing the first Rush album (after having worn out all the albums from Fly By Night to Grace Under Pressure) really gave me an appreciation for how bands can evolve, and more importantly, especially in the current music business, how bands should be, but typically are not, given a chance to evolve.

Well, thanks for that, but the title was written when I was stressing out about something (something that has turned out better than expected), and I suppose it was intended as a humorous stress-reliever. Still, it's crass and I would like to change it. I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Choose "Full edit" in your first post.

Oh that is such a shame. Poor dude. I wonder did he ever feel cheated or pissed off on what he missed out on , the way Rush became such a huge band.

I've said this before, but I have never really heard any of the albums past Moving Pictures/Exit Stage Left.

The one with "Subdivisions" on it is pretty good.

That is on the first album I never bought - Signals.

The video.

That's an OK record. Can't really vouch for anything past that.

I was just telling a 20-something that the video is "exactly what it was like living in the '80s."

I did too. They just tore down Poughkeepsie's first "great" mall. The mall that eclipsed it is still humming right along.

I did too. They just tore down Poughkeepsie's first "great" mall. The mall that eclipsed it is still humming right along.

The very first one in the whole area, the one I use to hang at, is now mainly full of nothing but government offices. It use to have 120 + stores back in the day.

Retail space definitely has an expiration date. In most cases, a store would rather put up a shiny, new facility than rehab an old one, leading to the dreaded "ghost mall" syndrome.

Retail space definitely has an expiration date. In most cases, a store would rather put up a shiny, new facility than rehab an old one, leading to the dreaded "ghost mall" syndrome.

In this case, the old mall (opened @1973) was killed by a new mall up the road (198?), as well as, more pull from the old mall here (197?)- which was taken over by a new mall (199?)- that is fast becoming over taken by another new shopping plaza that is all the rage now (2008).

The first mall, is where I got all my Rush albums as a teenager - Camelot Music.