John Rutsey, original Drummer for Rush dies

If there is anyone here that actually saw Rush with John Rutsey, please speak up. I've never known anyone who has.

If there is anyone here that actually saw Rush with John Rutsey, please speak up. I've never known anyone who has.

I've told Analogman this story about 30 times but I saw Rush with at my high school. This was long enough ago that Rush was actually opening for a Beatles cover band called Liverpool. I was more less oblivious to the line up back then, but given the timelines, I'm pretty sure it must have been Rutsey. It was more "heavy metal" Rush than "progressive" Rush so that's also consistent with the Rutsey era.

The first album is really Zeppelin inspired - more than anything. I rather like Take a Friend and Before and After.

From Wikipedia:

The original line-up formed in August 1968 in the neighbourhood of Willowdale in Toronto, Ontario, by guitarist Alex Lifeson, front man Jeff Jones, and drummer John Rutsey. Within a couple weeks of forming, and before their second performance, bassist and lead vocalist Jones was replaced by Geddy Lee, a schoolmate of Lifeson. After several lineup reformations, Rush's official incarnation was formed in May 1971 consisting of Lee, Lifeson, and Rutsey. The band was managed by local Toronto resident Ray Danniels, a frequent attendee of Rush's early shows.

After gaining stability in the lineup and honing their skills on the local bar/high school dance circuit, the band came to release their first single "Not Fade Away", a cover of the Buddy Holly song, in 1973. Side B contained an original composition, "You Can't Fight It", credited to Rutsey and Lee. The single generated little reaction and, due to record company indifference, the band formed their own independent record label, Moon Records. With the aid of Danniels and the newly enlisted engineer Terry Brown, the band released their self-titled debut album in 1974, which was considered highly derivative of Led Zeppelin.[9] Rush had limited local popularity until the album was picked up by WMMS, a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio. Donna Halper, a DJ and music director working at the station, selected "Working Man" for her regular play list. The song's blue collar theme resonated with hard rock fans and this new found popularity led to the album being re-released by Mercury Records in the U.S..

Immediately after the release of the debut album, Rutsey resigned in July 1974 due to his affliction with diabetes and a distaste for touring. Rush held auditions and eventually selected Neil Peart as Rutsey's replacement. Peart officially joined the band on July 29, 1974, two weeks before the group's first US tour.

I still have the cassette of it I got sometime around 1980 - I think. On the tape I have, Working Man actually cuts off at the end - which I did not know was wrong, until I heard in on the radio one day.

Speaking of Peart, Fly by Night has always sounded funny to me - sped up or something. Caress of Steel is my favorite, along with A Farewell To Kings and All The World's A Stage. Although - lately I have been listening to Hemispheres quite a bit.

I've told Analogman this story about 30 times but I saw Rush with at my high school. This was long enough ago that Rush was actually opening for a Beatles cover band called Liverpool. I was more less oblivious to the line up back then, but given the timelines, I'm pretty sure it must have been Rutsey. It was more "heavy metal" Rush than "progressive" Rush so that's also consistent with the Rutsey era.

That's cool as hell. I've followed these guys for 30+ years (first show,'78) and I've always liked the first LP, but to see the original incarnation must have been something. :thumbup

I use to have that on 8-Track. I have always felt the live version on All The World's A Stage was the best. That whole opening part (even though it rips off the Overture/Underture of Tommy in some ways) is one of my favorite pieces of music.

it's somewhat akin to how i like the trevor rabin period of yes.

Blasphemy! :lol

I do love Grace Under Pressure though.