R.I.P. Sydney Pollack

Director Sydney Pollack dies at 73 in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES - Academy Award-winning director Sydney Pollack, a Hollywood mainstay who achieved commercial success and critical acclaim with the gender-bending comedy "Tootsie" and the period drama "Out of Africa," has died. He was 73.

Pollack died of cancer Monday afternoon at his home in Pacific Palisades in Los Angeles, surrounded by family, said publicist Leslee Dart. Pollack had been diagnosed with cancer about nine months ago, said Dart.

Pollack, who occasionally appeared on the screen himself, worked with and gained the respect of Hollywood's best actors in a long career that reached prominence in the 1970s and 1980s.

"Sydney made the world a little better, movies a little better and even dinner a little better. A tip of the hat to a class act," George Clooney said in a statement from his publicist.

"He'll be missed terribly," Clooney said.

Last fall, he played Marty Bach opposite Clooney in "Michael Clayton," a drama that examines a law firm's fixer. The film, which Pollack co-produced, received seven Oscar nominations, including for best picture and a best actor nod for Clooney. Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for supporting actress.

Pollack was no stranger to the Academy Awards. In 1986, "Out of Africa" a romantic epic of a woman's passion set against the landscape of colonial Kenya, captured seven Oscars, including best director.

In accepting his Oscar, Pollack commended Meryl Streep, who was nominated for best actress but didn't win.

"I could not have made this movie without Meryl Streep," Pollack said. "She is astounding

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" is a top 20 all-timer for me.

RIP Mr. Pollack.

Another of the great ones gone :(.

I loved a lot of his work, including some of his acting roles (Husbands and Wives in particular.) He's going to be sorely missed.

Guest Cousin Tupelo

3 Days of the Condor was a super-cool movie. I wasn't as thrilled with Tootsie as most, but loved his performance as the agent, his over the top befuddlement.

Definitely will be missed.

He was good in serious roles like "Eyes Wide Shut" (one of the few things I liked in that movie, rare for Kubrick) and in comedic roles as well. His acting in "Tootsie" is as good as his direction. He really got a lot out of Bill Murray in a small role too.

A "Sidney Pollack film" was one that I would go out of my way to see, because even if the subject didn't appeal that much to me, I knew it would be well made.

RIP indeed.

>I loved a lot of his work, including some of his acting roles (Husbands and Wives in particular.)

That's the movie that immediately came to mind when the news broke. Great scene when he freaks out at the girlfriend talking nonsense at the party.

That's the movie that immediately came to mind when the news broke. Great scene when he freaks out at the girlfriend talking nonsense at the party.

Yes, everything about that performance is spot-on perfect! Him eating healthy and watching a stupid movie. Next thing he's breaking into his wife's house asking her to take him back. Awesome.

He was great in Eyes Wide Shut, too.

RIP

Yes, everything about that performance is spot-on perfect! Him eating healthy and watching a stupid movie. Next thing he's breaking into his wife's house asking her to take him back. Awesome.

He was great in Eyes Wide Shut, too.

RIP

There's so many great scenes and lines in that film.

I like the scene where Pollack is exiting the cinema with his girlfriend having just seen Kurosawa's Ran:

"Trust me. It's King Lear. Shakespeare never wrote about a King Leo." :)

There's so many great scenes and lines in that film.

I like the scene where Pollack is exiting the cinema with his girlfriend having just seen Kurosawa's Ran:

"Trust me. It's King Lear. Shakespeare never wrote about a King Leo." :)

And doesn't she reply with something like "Duh - Shakespeare wasn't Japanese"?