Going to Chicago....what to do, see, stay, etc.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This may have been said on this thread before, but if you land in Chicago on a Monday, check out Robbie Fulks' Monday night residency (now going on its third year I think).  Last night he and a band did an incredible Harry Nilsson tribute show.  More often than not these are low key affairs, but sometimes, like last night, they are very high quality. 

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

I'm highly aware of the stupidity of this question, but what is the best way to see something interesting at the Art Institute of Chicago in the shortest time possible ? If I had just an hour (two at most), which parts of the museum would be best to see? No doubt one could spend a whole afternoon or entire day there, but that luxury of time and leisure travel isn't in the cards in the near future.

In March I'll be attending a conference for work that is just a few blocks from the museum. I've been to this conference many times and always wanted to go to the museum but just put it off, planning to do it next year, then next year again. However, I've decided that I need to just do it--next year is now. Since the museum's open hours are limited, and the conference is a whirlwind of sessions and workshops, my art browsing time is limited. I just want to know what's the best use of my $23 admission fee in a short spell of time! Any suggestions or advice?

I'm highly aware of the stupidity of this question, but what is the best way to see something interesting at the Art Institute of Chicago in the shortest time possible ?

Not sure what kind of art you are into, but this upcoming exhibit looks interesting, if you enjoy Picasso.

http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/picasso-and-chicago

A century ago, in 1913, the Art Institute of Chicago became the first art museum in the country to present the work of a young Spaniard who would become the preeminent artist of the 20th century, Pablo Picasso. This February the museum celebrates the special 100-year relationship between Picasso and Chicago by bringing together over 250 of the finest examples of the artist's paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, and ceramics from private collections in the city, as well as from the museum's collection, for the first large-scale Picasso exhibition organized by the museum in almost 30 years.

I haven't been to the Art Institute, since they added the new addition, so I am probably not the best person to give you advice. Hope you enjoy your brief stay, though.

You really need to pick and choose before you go, or borrow a pass from someone so you don't have to pay for the admission.  It really isn't worth going to for $23 bucks if you only have an hour or two.  Sorry.  But if you want to do it anyway, pick the galleries ahead (modern, impressionist, Asian, European, etc.) and hit them hard and fast.

LouieB

Not sure what kind of art you are into, but this upcoming exhibit looks interesting, if you enjoy Picasso.

http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/picasso-and-chicago

I haven't been to the Art Institute, since they added the new addition, so I am probably not the best person to give you advice. Hope you enjoy your brief stay, though.

The Picasso exhibit looks very cool!

It really isn't worth going to for $23 bucks if you only have an hour or two.  Sorry.  But if you want to do it anyway, pick the galleries ahead (modern, impressionist, Asian, European, etc.) and hit them hard and fast.

Thus my admission to the stupidity of the question--ideally I'd make a special trip for leisure and tourist purposes, but these days time, money, and a busy family life don't allow that. Rather than keep putting things like this off, I'm just going to go while I'm in the neighborhood. I've spend $23 on worse! :P

Picasso and Impressionists it will be, a quick tour.

Some summer I want to take the kids to Chicago for a few days, but not this year; it will be easier when they are older anyway. They have an interest in dinosaurs, so I thought they'd like to see Sue the T-Rex and other dinosaur and animal stuff at the Field Museum. We recently heard that Sue--rather, a replica, no doubt--is on tour visiting the Des Moines Science Center this spring, so a tidbit of Chicago will be in our backyard.

I would say you can see quite alot in a couple hours.  Don't linger too long in front of anything, have a plan of where to go (there are maps on line I am sure), look out for the crowds (despite the steep admission there are always crowds), or try and find me before you go and I will loan you  my card. 

Hey what is $23 anymore anyway. It costs more than that to just park downtown.  But if you have just a limited amount of time, start with the Impressionists and move chronologically through the rooms to the more modern stuff. Then pick out some other exhibits and split.  That alone will be a pretty good experience.  If you really like contemporary art, do the same in the modern wing.  Special exhibits tend to be crowded and some cost extra. 

What kind of stuff are you interested in?

LouieB

Impressionists through about 1920s Modernism are my favorite eras (just enough to distort reality to some degree but not so much as to render it unrecognizable!). I like artistic photography too. Anything will do for a museum browse, though.

In the case of photography, don't miss the downstairs photography gallery, which always has fantastic special exhibits.  So in the case of a short visit, do the impressionists, upstairs, following thtrough to early 20th century and then head for a bathroom break in the basement and the photo exhibit, whatever it is. Also look for the Joseph Cornell boxes and check out the Chagall stained glass wiindow. 

For something you won't see anywhere else, check out the Thorne Rooms, which are miniature rooms from all eras or if you like Japanese prints, check those out. 

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

Wow there is a lot of good info in this thread! Thanks to all who contributed.

My wife and I are coming to Chicago from Arizona for only the second time this April to see The Black Crowes at the Vic.

We are staying at the James in River North. Here are a few bars and restaurants I picked out in my research. Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. We are looking for places to meet other friends and get a drink or two before the shows at the Vic. We are looking for a a good old fashioned neighborhood bar nearby, preferably walking distance or a short cab/L ride from the Vic. What do you think of these places? Is there anything else nearby that does either classic cocktails or is more of an old school neighborhood bar (you know, the kind that looks like it hasn't changed its decor since the 60s or 70s)?

Schuba's 3159 Southport @ Belmont

Elixir 3452 N Halsted St (between Newport Ave & Cornelia Ave) Lakeview

Barrelhouse Flat 2624 N Lincoln Ave (between Sheffield & Wrightwood) Lincoln Park

L & L Tavern 3207 North Clark St @ Belmont (dive bar, punk jukebox )

Other places closer to the hotel we are thinking about for other meals:

Sable - 505 N State St in Hotel Palomar at Illinois St.

Pizano’s Chicago Pizza - 864 N State St at Delaware (312) 751-1766

- 800 N Dearborn St at Chicago Ave 312-335-8833

GT Fish & Oyster - 531 N Wells St at W. Grand Ave (312) 929-3501

Gilt Bar 230 West Kinzie Street @ Franklin River North (312) 464-9544

Bavette’s 218 West Kinzie Street @ Franklin River North (312) 464-9544

Breakfast:

LB Bistro in Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers 301 E North Water St

I hope someone chimes in on this because I don't drink much and don't go to restaurants in River North (which is why we need folks who visit here and do the tourist stuff to report back in.)  Sheffields, up the street from the Vic is a pretty good bar as I remember, and someone I know recently had dinner in there and enjoyed it.  I know Schubas as a great music club and has a nice bar in front.  The L and L sounds kinda cool. (I have not been in Berlin in a few years, more like a few decades, but if you want of bit of adventure it is right around the corner from the Vic.) 

The area around the Vic is fairly gentrified so most of the bars are not going to have that much of an old school vibe, but I am sure  many do coctails.  If you want old school type places you may need to go further north or west.  I hope more folks get on here and discuss taverns.  We need some new ideas.

LouieB

The Barrelhouse Flat is just a block away from where I live. It's great for old-timey classic cocktails, if you don't mind that the bartenders are called "mixologists" there.  My wife loves it there though.

A little further north on Lincoln is Delilah's - my favorite local. Great punk bar with many many scotch and whiskey options.

As for a place close to the Vic, like Louie mentioned - Sheffields is a decent pick - they were one of the first places to serve a variety of microbrews on tap, some 20 years ago. It's about a block north of the Vic.

If you want an old school kinda place in River North, The Green Door is a nice little tavern with some pretty good burgers. It's on Orleans, right around Huron.

The Barrelhouse Flat is just a block away from where I live. It's great for old-timey classic cocktails, if you don't mind that the bartenders are called "mixologists" there.  My wife loves it there though.

A little further north on Lincoln is Delilah's - my favorite local. Great punk bar with many many scotch and whiskey options.

As for a place close to the Vic, like Louie mentioned - Sheffields is a decent pick - they were one of the first places to serve a variety of microbrews on tap, some 20 years ago. It's about a block north of the Vic.

Oh yea, Delilahs.  I second that if you want to go drink some serious whiskey.  It is a short cab ride.

If you have time on another night and want to go somewhere truly unique, hit the Green Mill in Uptown.  Not near the Vic so not good for that night, but unchanged since before WWII.  Often there is live music in the late afternoons or early evenings before the regular music starts; and the clinetele in the afternoon is a bit different than these other bars.

LouieB.

Thanks for the suggestions. Delilah's looks good, especially if I can hit them on a night when they are spinning hard country or 70s. I wish Sheffields had liquor, it looks good, too, but we are bourbon drinkers much more than beer lovers. Green Mill looks really cool, but we won't have time for that as this is such a short trip. Might hit up Green Door, though, that's a good option.

Thanks again and I'll report back after the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is in town for the Tweedy solo shows and looking for a good, cheap place to eat near the Vic, I recommend Penny's Noodles about 2 blocks away on Sheffield at Roscoe.  It's a weird wedge-shaped building right under the L tracks, but they offer ridiculously delicious, fresh, thai noodles with fast service.  Tons of fresh veggies and inexpensive.  I like the sauteed chicken and the bbq pork noodles.  

http://pennysnoodleshop.com/

Also second the recommendations for Sheffield's bar and Schuba's which is a little farther to walk, but a really cool place (and often really good musical acts).

It's Pat's pizza still on Sheffield there?

If so, and you are suffering from pan pizza overload, Pat's has probably the best thin-crust in town.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are visiting this summer, below is a link to the free 2013 summer concerts at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

For the Wilco peeps - Nels will play on August 8th and Glenn on August  28th - plus plenty of other great shows.

http://timeoutchicago.com/music-nightlife/audio-file-blog/16178761/millennium-park-summer-concert-series-announced

For those who are visiting this summer, below is a link to the free 2013 summer concerts at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

For the Wilco peeps - Nels will play on August 8th and Glenn on August  28th - plus plenty of other great shows.

http://timeoutchicago.com/music-nightlife/audio-file-blog/16178761/millennium-park-summer-concert-series-announced

The August 29th date with Jack DeJohnette, Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell and Henry Threadgill.may be the most exciting part of the line-up as far as I am concerned.  Particularly seeing Abrams, Threadill, and Mitchell together will be an event not to be missed.  These guys used to play together all the time in Chicago, but that was decades ago. So if you are coming to see Glenn, stay for this show as well; hopefully it will be as good as it seems it should be.

LouieB