The Absolutely Official NHL Off Season Thread

Just because hockey is over doesn't mean we don't have anything to discuss!! I'm mad at the NFL for trying to come into Canada, besides Ryan Dempster who's dad went to school with my mom, I don't really care about baseball, basketball is over and I'm not the biggest CFL fan in the world so that leaves me with the NHL.

Important dates

June 20th - NHL Entry Draft Round One - 4 pm PST

June 21st - Rest of the NHL Entry Draft - 6:30 am PST

July 1st - Free agency

July 15thish - Schedule released

October 4th - 2008/2009 NHL season begins in Stockholm!!!!!!

I figured there's enough news, especially on days like this to warrant a thread. TSN headlines that have caught my eye: Malkin offered 15 million a season by Russian league and Habs get permission to talk to Sundin.

How's everyones respective teams?

The big rumour here is that the Canucks might trade Ryan Kesler (who is in my opinion, one of the best 3rd liners in the league) and their 1st round pick (#10) for Olli Jokinen, which is pretty intriguing... I guess we'll know in a few hours if that happens. Trevor Linden, as expected, retired last week. Mike Gillis is going to let Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison go to free agency so we'll see what happens... if we get Jokinen I wouldn't mind seeing Naslund back playing on a line with him but not as a our captain and not making 6 million a season like he has lately.

How are the Bruins, Canadiens, Wings, etc????

Well, the NHL has finally come to its senses and is trying to take the Rangers from the massive steaming turd that is Dolan. If only the NBA would too.

Yeah what's the problem with that? I thought it was over the website but the website looks like all the other team sites??

Ok so the first round was pretty interest. Lots and lots of trade. Phoenix and Columbus probably would get the "most improved" title from draft picks and players traded for. Or maybe Calgary... geeze all players around Vancouver in the standings. However I'm really excited about the Canucks pick, Cody Hodgson. I'm glad they didn't pick Kyle Beach, he sounds like another Bertuzzi and we all know how that went. Hodgson sounds like he could be a future captain... which is great cause we've had Stan Smyl since the late 70s and then Trevor Linden as soon as Smyl left in the early 90s... it's been a long while since we didn't have a de facto leader (regardless of what sweater the C is on).

1 Steven Stamkos [C] Tampa Bay Lightning

2 Drew Doughty (D) Los Angeles Kings

3 Zach Bogosian (D) Atlanta Thrashers

4 Alex Pietrangelo (D) St. Louis Blues

5 Luke Schenn (D) Toronto Maple Leafs (from NY Islanders)

6 Nikita Filatov (LW) Columbus Blue Jackets

7 Colin Wilson [C] Nashville Predators (from Toronto via NY Islanders)

8 Mikkel Boedker (LW) Phoenix Coyotes

9 Josh Bailey [C] New York Islanders (from Nashville via Florida)

10 Cody Hodgson [C] Vancouver Canucks

11 Kyle Beach (LW) Chicago Blackhawks Everett Silvertips (WHL)

12 Tyler Myers (D) Buffalo Sabres (from Edmonton via Anaheim via Los Angeles)

13 Colten Teubert (D) Los Angeles Kings (from Buffalo)

14 Zach Boychuk [C] Carolina Hurricanes

15 Erik Karlsson (D) Ottawa Senators (from Nashville)

16 Joe Colborne (LW) Boston Bruins

17 Jake Gardiner (D) Anaheim Ducks (from Calgary via Los Angeles)

18 Chet Pickard (G) Nashville Predators (from Ottawa)

19 Luca Sbisa (D) Philadelphia Flyers (from Colorado via Columbus)

20 Michael Del Zotto (D) New York Rangers

21 Anton Gustafsson [C] Washington Capitals (from New Jersey)

22 Jordan Eberle [C] Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim)

23 Tyler Cuma (D) Minnesota Wild (from Washington via New Jersey)

24 Mattias Tedenby (LW) New Jersey Devils (from Minnesota)

25 Greg Nemisz (RW) Calgary Flames (from Montreal)

26 Tyler Ennis [C] Buffalo Sabres (from San Jose)

27 John Carlson (D) Washington Capitals (from Philadelphia)

28 Viktor Tikhonov (RW) Phoenix Coyotes (from Dallas via Los Angeles via Anaheim)

29 Daultan Leveille [C] Atlanta Thrashers (from Pittsburgh)

30 Thomas McCollum (G) Detroit Red Wings

I say keep him, in a limited role. Veteran leadership is very important... you can't trade for or hope to pick up UFAs like him.

Over all, very good draft for the K-nucks. Thomas Gradin has been really good at getting us some great European players like the Sedins, as well as unknown players like Alexander Edler and Jannik Hansen who are both really promising... his pick this year was a left winger called "Mats Froshaug". I just wish they would have grabbed this Kruise Reddick guy in the 7th round instead of the g Caoal tending consultant's son. Vancouver has the best goal tender in the world (in my opinion) and one of the most promising prospects (Cory Schneider)... we don't really need another goaltender. Reddick got 74 points in 72 games (23 goals) and was a plus 22... he was eligible for the draft but no one picked him... what!? I hear comparisons to Zetterberg a lot... Maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's hoping for Hossa in Edmonton, even though they're a division rival of Vancouver, there's only one Canadian team I want to see stuck in mediocrity. At this hour, looks like Vancouver is going to get Sundin. Sure, for a lot of money.... making him the highest paid player in hockey, still though. I like what this could mean.......

Naslund - Sundin - Demitra? Raymond? Grabner?

Sedin - Sedin - Someone with a right handed shot

Burrows - Kesler - Wellwood

Hordichuk - Johnson - Brown

That looks really good. The D is still intact, we still have Luongo. The Sedins won't be shut down against the best defense pairs and checking lines every night as they so easily are, as they'll be a second line, as they should be. We have a ligitimate top line that can produce big goals. We also have a pretty tough looking fourth line too. Perfect, just perfect.

The rich get richer. Wings sign Hossa. Unbelievable...

I know. Jesus Christ that team has some fire power.

The rich get richer. Wings sign Hossa. Unbelievable...

well damn, the Pens lost Ruutu also.

I don't see either of these happening:

http://www.postgazette.com

Ex-Penguin Markus Naslund, who has spent most of his career in Vancouver, is believed to be getting serious consideration, although it's likely the front office will use the money that would have gone to Hossa to sign two wingers, not just one.

Team officials made cursory contact with free-agent right winger Jaromir Jagr yesterday, as they did with the representatives for a number of other players. They are believed to be having further discussions with Jagr's camp, but there is no evidence they have -- or will -- make a contract offer.

I did NOT approve of Avery leaving the Rangers. God, I hate Dolan.

why not??? He's a locker-room cancer!

One, I don't spend any time in the Rangers' locker room.

Two:

Avery has played for three teams in six seasons, yet whatever he does, and however he does it, seems to work. In 86 games with the New York Rangers over the last two seasons, the club was 50-20-16 with him in the lineup and 9-13-3 without him.

One, I don't spend any time in the Rangers' locker room.

Two:

Avery has played for three teams in six seasons, yet whatever he does, and however he does it, seems to work. In 86 games with the New York Rangers over the last two seasons, the club was 50-20-16 with him in the lineup and 9-13-3 without him.

meh.

Cupless...

I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure that wasn't his fault, at least not for the Rangers.

Ex-Penguin Markus Naslund, who has spent most of his career in Vancouver, is believed to be getting serious consideration, although it's likely the front office will use the money that would have gone to Hossa to sign two wingers, not just one.

Calling Naslund an "ex-Penguin" is kind of weird. That's like calling Gretzky an "ex-Indianapolis Racer". However! I'd be surprised if he goes to the Pens (or the Wild, apparently they offered him a contract). A player of his caliber, who still got 25 goals playing without any line mates (Taylor Pyatt? pfft) doesn't go through two days of UFA without getting signed for no reason. He's waiting to see if Sundin accepts the 20 million offer (Team 1040 is saying that Sundin is working out contract details, apparently) and then see how much money is left for him. He'd probably take a "home town discount" to play with a center like Sundin (Naslund NEEDS a player like Sundin or Bertuzzi to be truly effective) if he takes the 10 million a year... however, if Sundin doesn't do it, he'll probably still sign as will Demitra, at a higher $ since there will be more cap room. Remember that Naslund has been our captain for about 8 years now and both him and Demitra are both ex-clients of Canucks GM Mike Gillis.

i'm hoping Ryder finds his scoring touch, i like the signing.

Hossa signs for 1 year, i don't get.

lots of pressure on him NOT to get injured, and he needs to

score at least 40 to get another big contract.

Why give up a reported 80 mill for 7.4 ? he wants to win a cup, fine.=, but god forbid

he blows out a knee, or gets his bell rung, then what. Very risky, very.

Rangers could be in for a big year.

After a year of enduring the wrath of Brian Burke, Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe finally fired back at the Anaheim Ducks' executive on Friday.

In a candid interview with Edmonton's Team 1260, Lowe - who stayed relatively quiet each time Burke went after him over the last 12 months - finally let it all out.

"Where do I begin?," started Lowe. "He's a moron, first of all. Secondly, he really believes that any news for the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight and I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that. Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market where they can't get on any page of the newspaper let alone the front page of the sports, so any of this stuff carries on."

Burke and Lowe have been at odds since the Oilers put forth a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet to Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner last summer - a contract that the Ducks did not match and sent Penner to Edmonton.

At the time, Burke explained he had no problem with a team putting an offer sheet forward, but the money involved was the issue. Lowe responded in kind on Friday, saying the standard for such contracts was set long before the Penner signing.

"I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, anytime," he explained to Team 1260. "The reality is, Rick Nash's contract a number of years ago, (Patrice) Bergeron's and (Ilya) Kovalchuk's; that sets the standard - that's been going on for decades. I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'Well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But the reality is, I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

The latest chapter in the feud came on Wednesday, after the Ducks signed restricted free agent forward Corey Perry to a five-year extension worth $26.63 million. Burke had some choice words about the new salary climate in the NHL after this week's high-profile signings, and blamed Lowe for eliminating the 'second contract' from team-player negotiations.

The long-standing rivalry between Lowe and Burke has also brought up whispers of a conspiracy theory that the two men are hamming it up for added exposure for the league.

"I remember (L.A. Kings general manager) Dean Lombardi last summer saying to me, 'You guys are (just) putting this on, you're not really feeling this way. The NHL likes this stuff, they want to create a little angst in the media and stuff and get some headlines?'" recalled Lowe.

"I said, 'No Dean, this is real.' He was shocked that this was going on but Burkie loves the limelight. He's all bluff and loud and Mac T (head coach Craig MacTavish) said it best - he's like the Wizard of Oz, you pull the curtains away and there's not much substance."

Burke, who joined the Ducks as general manager in 2005, helped build a championship contender in Anaheim that eventually won the Stanley Cup in 2007. That achievement didn't score too high with Lowe, who was quick to point out the other ups and downs of his time with the Ducks, along with the shortcomings of Burke's former team, the Vancouver Canucks.

"Here's a fact - he left (former Canucks GM) Dave Nonis nothing in Vancouver," he explained. "Nothing. He destroyed that team. If it wasn't for Nonis' incredible deals - to con Mike Keenan to get (Roberto) Luongo in Vancouver - that team was taking a nose dive two years ago."

"I mean, that's his M.O., but no one says anything. He goes into Anaheim and he inherits an incredible team. He gets Chris Pronger - not because of our relationship, it just so happened we had five or six teams and targeted their assets. We had Florida, Anaheim, Philadelphia, San Jose and Los Angeles. He just happened to throw enough assets our way to get the player. Kudos to him. He recognizes that at the end of the day, you throw enough assets, you get the best player and you get a good deal. You never know in this business if you're going to win at the end of the day. He could have just decimated the franchise forever. I'll tell you this, they have not much coming. Bobby Ryan has been a questionable pick at No. 2 (overall in 2005), and up until this draft, they tried to move down and did a nice job of trying to replenish their depth chart. They had nothing coming, and that appears to be his M.O."

Lowe even left an intriguing cliffhanger for the radio station's listeners.

"Don't even ask me about Scott Niedermayer, I've already lowered myself in terms of (talking about) how they acquired him," he said. "That's a story for another day, but they were able to bring Niedermayer and Pronger in and they won a Stanley Cup."

In closing, Lowe went so far as to send out a tongue-in-cheek message to his front office nemesis.

"Anaheim has decent players - Corey Perry is a hell of a player," he said. "What I really want to say about his bickering about parity and the salary cap is if you're unhappy about them, then trade him (Perry) our way, we'll be glad to have him."

// if (window['OneClipVideoListRenderer']) {OneClipVideoListRenderer.SetDefaultPath('feature');OneClipVideoListRenderer.ClearClips();OneClipVideoListRenderer.AddClip({im

age:"http://images.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/9/2008_7_4/lowe.jpg",title:"Striking Oil",description:"Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe strikes back at Ducks' executive Brian Burke about their ongoing feud.",clipid:64729});}