my morning jacket @ radio city! 6.20.08

**noticed no one posted a set list or anything, so here's my post from the mmj board...if you come across a weird word it's b/c the smilies don't translate board to board and i might have missed a few...**

hey, allison: the answer was YES! i had a terrific time! :dancing

WHAT A FANTASTIC NIGHT!

sooo rad to meet all of the forum peeps who came out to the brewery before the show! ALL night i was running into people i'd met at shows across the country, or people i've known only by user names here on the board. what a treat to approach the brewery last night and see murph outside!

must be stated: everyone was so cool! friendly, warm, exhuberant, ready and willing to dance themselves silly. sitting here on my pal's couch in white plains, i raise my glass of (stellar) beer to you all! as the song goes, "everybody here is outta site!" :wubSmiley

i lucked out. i had bought a pretty good single seat for myself, but when my pal in ny decided to come to the show, he turned up some second row (!!!) seats. so often, when i am participating in a remarkable musical event i say to myself, "i am a lucky, lucky bastard." :lol

i'd never been to RCMH. it was quite lovely! interesting balcony design in that the four (right?) balconies were in the back of the room and stacked like shelves, not steps. wonder what it means to the acoustics. hmm. from where we were sitting, the place looked FILLED. well done!

the guys came out looking dapper as ever. carl was sporting a cool jacket with sort of a western cut. he took it off at some point, but was still wearing a vest. tom was wearing a button down shirt and tie, jim was in a vest, bo was rocking a sharp hat, patrick looked to be all in black (couldn't see if he was wearing shoes, but am guessing not. ;)Wink )

{somehow it's gotten to be 2am so i'm just gonna transcribe my setlist w/notes}

--intro music

--evil urges

--otr

--Gideon !!! :yay

-- Smiley--woooooh jim!

--Highly Suspicious--47 second WOOOOOO!

--Wonderful Man-tom laying IN! (either before or just after this song i saw bo pulling his hat down on his head as if he'd been about to lose it :lol )

--Touch Me pt. 1- jim donned the cape for this one. at one point he put on a pair of aviator shades that someone had tossed on stage. he threw them into the crowd. my pal, paul, caught them then handed them to me. the guy behind me said that they'd been his and asked for them.

--jim gave a rap here about letting unwanted thoughts flow out of his head like cotton candy in favor of absorbing the spirit of things like the screams of the crowd. --he commented a few times on the band's excitemtent at playing such an historic venue. apparently the guys all had family in attendance. that's got to be special. (i know if i ever played rcmh (kazoo solo!) my mom would want to be there. Wink )

--Sec Walkin'--patrick broke a stick on this one! it came flying out over the stage. there was some funny brow waggling going on between bo and tom, here. :lol

--Golden-lovely!

--Thank You, Too!-Gorgeous! tom's bass was really high in the mix on this one.

--Way He Sings-first big jam o'the night! FUCK! (i have a cramp.)

--Two Halves-pat & tom!!

--Phone!! --my pal hadn't heard this song live in a loooooong time. it was the one he'd hoped most to hear. EVERYONE SING!

--Aluminum P. HUGE! much whirling and dancing in the lights on stage

--Steam. Holy Smokes. during one the guitar breaks jim ran off the stage up the stairs along the side of the venue. he stopped to play a couple of times but then continued until he'd gotten to the first balcony (mezz?) standing RIGHT there: two peeps from the brewery! dancing to beat the band!

it was great to see watch the guys on stage: playing, sometimes watching jim...

note: carl's slide on this song always kills me. our seats were on the right side of the stage, close to jim's mic. this is where RCMH felt big: carl was far away. had to peer around a little to get a good sight line (how in the fuck can i be whining AT ALL about this? lord. :stunned )

--Smokin from shootin--WHAT ARE YOU WAIIIIIIITTTTING FOR ?....ANNNNYYYYYWAAAAAAYYYYYY???!!-->

--Touch Me, pt. 2--i LOVE THIS PAIRING OF SONGS (please pardon the all caps abuse there. i use them in earnest. :lol )

for the outro here, i think carl and tom got low on stage--couldn't see carl, but i could see tom hunkered down in front of his amp. as jim played the outro on the omnichord he crouched lower and lower next to the music stand (hey! no longer balancing it on his leg! the technique is constantly evolving.) jim and bo waiting for just the right moment to play good intentions...at the scream, the band all ran off stage. {this took me back to watching them do this in houston: watching bo and jim trying to work out the cue for the scream. awesome.}

----break

--Bermuda Highway--jim solo acoustic. who doesn't love this song?

--jim takes a moment to honor having seen aretha franklin on that very stage.

--librarian!--band comes back out: pat's drums on this are lovely!

--the third appearance of the CAPE! for...

--WORDLESS--jim sang while holding one of the RCMH glow-stick swizzle sticks. don't know if it came from an off-stage cocktail or if someone in the audience hurled it onstage. -kneeSLIDE!

--It Beats!! tom & pat: whew!

--dondante-CRUSHER!! this was devastatingly gorgeous. can't pinpoint it, but there are some differences in the arrangement. carl's sax playing was beautiful. for the top of the song jim was wearing a towel over his head. it seemed as if in this venue full of people he was creating some privacy for himself. i could see his face as he was playing those haunting guitar parts.

at one point i looked back and saw evilhorn with his hands on top of his head. YOU HAD ME WOOOOOORRRIIEED...

--BEAR :w00tCheesy

--Lay low! --CAPE III--sweet jesus. There will be strobes! (that's a call back to signs that were on the doors to the houston venue: "tonight's performance will use strobe lights" or something. i remember saying to paul, "yes. yes it will." Smiley

--Run Thru--BIG FAT CHORD!--going from lay low into this things were getting serious

--ANYTIME--SWEET CRACKER SANDWICH@! carl was catching some air on this and tom looked like he was beating the cheese out of his bass! patrick on his feet for the final build...

****OBH was played in here, but honestly i can't remember if it was last, or before anytime...some note taker, i am. :monkey

the guys all came out to the front of the stage for extended waving and beaming. a cool moment as a photographer behind the drum kit had them turn so that the crowd was behind them for a photo. hope it turns up in the gallery.

WONDERUL TIME!! thanks, gents for hosting ANOTHER spectacular party!

odd nifty bits: in the seat next to my friend: a woman i'd met in atlanta when i was there seeing wilco last summer. we'd spent a lot of time dishing about okonokos.

new guitar picks: in place of the okonos graphics, the pics have evil urges art: jim's pix have the mirrored herons. did anyone see carl's pix?

ain't too proud to beg: thanks for the setlist! turns out, i was handed the set list for "set 2" and wizzard got "set 1." Smiley

after the show ran into kyjed in the lobby and told him all the forum peeps were meeting outside the brewery for post-show geeking out.

so as about 20 of us milled around in the muggy night milled around shaking our heads, waving our hands and assuring each other that those things did happen we assembled for some group pix: sweaty, smiling, moved.

to wrap out the night 5 of us: vespachick, our oklahoma reps, paul and i, made our way to a place with fantastic sushi. and asparagus. holy hell, it was delicious! and that wine. damn!

as for the "when i wake in the morning which song will be in my head" question: touch me pt. 1.

smooth travels in europe to the band and crew! we'll see you in louisville!

*note to self--check l'ville's minor league ball team schedule...*

:banana anytime, flick!

did you have some good dancing room? looked like it might be good for that. and did jim run right over your head?

just might see you again at the turn of the year :shifty , unless you and sr. flick are in the poconos or something. :monkey

:banana anytime, flick!

did you have some good dancing room? looked like it might be good for that. and did jim run right over your head?

just might see you again at the turn of the year :shifty , unless you and sr. flick are in the poconos or something. :monkey

he ran over my head, yes :wub I had plenty of room, excellent seat!

Mr. Flick and I will be in the Catskills over NYE. :monkey

Ah, I've been waiting for this review! Glad to hear it was so fun for you all. :dancing Flick, could you spot the famous flying ponytail from your vantage?

... just might see you again at the turn of the year :shifty

"... just might?" ????? :lol I can't imagine you being anywhere else on NYE!

Ah, I've been waiting for this review! Glad to hear it was so fun for you all. :dancing Flick, could you spot the famous flying ponytail from your vantage?

I had a great view, but his hair was too short to sport a ponytail.

Wow... didn't realize so many people fom the MMJ board were here too.

This was an amazing show.... inspired me and my friend to get tickets to their Louisville show, in addition to the Philly and New Years shows we are already going to.

WOW!

"... just might?" ????? :lol I can't imagine you being anywhere else on NYE!

:banana :party

wendy, i got this pm from someone else at the radio city show, "there was a short blone in an orange shirt rocking out down front. was that you?"

:shifty

:lol

for the record, i do have other orange shirts. but yes, that is the shirt i was sporting last week.

wendy, when we were outside the venue, i kept thinking of your fab photo of the wilco/rcmh marquee. sharp! :thumbup

drew, i hope to be back at the turn of the year! if i can be in town for a few days, there is some kind of offical hanging out to be done! :cheers

soooo glad you made it to the show before it started!

also: i've been fiending to hear "twilight" live. might have to start a NYE campaign! :guitar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...