New new election thread

Oh! That's all I have to do? Cool, but that's not a tuneup. Tuneups are basically obsolete. Today's cars run cleaner and more efficient than they ever have, which is why this statement is silly.

Calm down, I know cars have basically been distrubutor-less for two decades or more.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! That's all I have to do? Cool, but that's not a tuneup. Tuneups are basically obsolete. Today's cars run cleaner and more efficient than they ever have, which is why this statement is silly.

Every car out there is a "today's car"?? yes, your statement is silly

Guest Jules
Every car out there is a "today's car"?? yes, your statement is silly

Yes, I would say most cars out there are 10 years old or less. What's your point?

No, but that's true.

Is this a wrench forum? Does this mean you never get new plugs, wires, air filter?

Guest Jules
That your notion that "tune-ups are obsolete" is silly. But perhaps we're talking about two different things.

I'll help you out: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-tune-up.htm

I know what a tuneup is, thanks. My point is newer cars do not need traditional tuneups especially compared to 10-20 years ago. Cars are designed better; they run cleaner (really no need for emissions testing on new cars); oil changes aren't required until 10-20K miles; "tuneups" not required until 100K on many new cars. The distributorless ignition eliminates the need for a distributor and spark plugs. Less things to wear out.

So, now tell me what is silly.

I know what a tuneup is, thanks. My point is newer cars do not need traditional tuneups especially compared to 10-20 years ago. Cars are designed better; they run cleaner (really no need for emissions testing on new cars); oil changes aren't required until 10-20K miles; "tuneups" not required until 100K on many new cars. The distributorless ignition eliminates the need for a distributor and spark plugs. Less things to wear out.

So, now tell me what is silly.

What kind of cars are these that you speak of? More specifically with no spark plugs, 10-20 g's oil change interval and no emission testing?

Guest Jules
What kind of cars are these that you speak of? More specifically with no spark plugs, 10-20 g's oil change interval and no emission testing?

I'm not goint to list a bunch of models for you. Of course not all cars fall into this category, but it's headed in that direction. My point is cars are made better and require less maintenance as the computer handles most of it. The thought that simply inflating our tires and getting regular tuneups can save us all this oil...well, it seems like a load of crap to me.

all i know is that according to our wright express report, i picked up 2-3 mpg by changing my air filter alone earlier this year and that whole correct tire pressure thing is just common sense.

Yes, PEB, it is common sense.

I'm not goint to list a bunch of models for you. Of course not all cars fall into this category, but it's headed in that direction. My point is cars are made better and require less maintenance as the computer handles most of it. The thought that simply inflating our tires and getting regular tuneups can save us all this oil...well, it seems like a load of crap to me.

Which is why you are not on the energy conservation thinktank. The idea of little, easy things compounded by millions of people can reduce energy use without huge inputs of resources. This is very similar to turning lights off in your house when not in use, changing to a programmable thermostat etc.

Can you list a couple, cuz the only car I've heard of that does not require spark plugs is a diesel and they are dirty as a mutha, hence requiring a little emissions testing. And how long before 90% of the population drives one of these cars you are talking about?

Guest Jules
Which is why you are not on the energy conservation thinktank. The idea of little, easy things compounded by millions of people can reduce energy use without huge inputs of resources. This is very similar to turning lights off in your house when not in use, changing to a programmable thermostat etc.

I don't disagree with anything you said here. I just don't need a presidential candidate to tell me it's important. It's patronizing, really.

I'll get back to you on the models, and I should clarify not all systems eliminate the spark plug wires, but some do.

I don't disagree with anything you said here. I just don't need a presidential candidate to tell me it's important. It's patronizing, really.

I'll get back to you on the models.

I'm down with that...on a personal level. However, there are a lot of people that cannot figure out this stuff on their own. Kind of luck these dumb bastards that, with the advent of mandated publishing of calorie counts, are figuring out their fried chicken and cheese salad with ranch has more calories than a sandwich and chips. They had to be told, they couldn't figure that shit out.

I'll get back to you on the models, and I should clarify not all systems eliminate the spark plug wires, but some do.

Perhaps you don

Guest Jules
Perhaps you don't, but there are millions of folks out there who are not aware that a few simple changes can pay out much larger dividends. And, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a leader supposed to lead? (Yes, I know, he's not our president yet, but he has a hell of a chance - would you be more likely to appreciate this sort of advice if he is elected. My suspicion is no.)

Your suspicion would be correct.

Actually, based on the numbers in the linked article, it would be roughly 1.5 times as "good" (strictly in terms of oil produced/conserved).

"Math geek"

Actually, based on the numbers in the linked article, it would be roughly 1.5 times as "good" (strictly in terms of oil produced/conserved).

I rounded up/didn't read the article. It's not like anything Time Magazine prints is worth much.

"Math geek"

Mathlete.

I rounded up/didn't read the article. It's not like anything Time Magazine prints is worth much.

Mathlete.

Actually, the numbers were in the other article posted above by Winston Legthigh. However, here's a line from the article that I think is worth something. Discussion, anyway.

The real problem with the attacks on his tire-gauge plan is that efforts to improve conservation and efficiency happen to be the best approaches to dealing with the energy crisis — the cheapest, cleanest, quickest and easiest ways to ease our addiction to oil, reduce our pain at the pump and address global warming.

Now, putting doubts about whether or not global warming is a real phenomenon, is what the author says here false?

Guest Jules
Now, putting doubts about whether or not global warming is a real phenomenon, is what the author says here false?

Not necessarily false, but not easily quantifiable, and therefore a stretch at best.

Also, I don't see how the tire pressure thing has anything to do with global warming.

Less oil consumption = less emissions = less global warming, is I think the point there.

A lot of right wingers moan about people taking personal responsibility rather than expecting the government to do things, so I think it's funny that when Obama asks people to take some responsibility by maintaining their cars, that's patronizing.