Wilco involved with Neil Finn project with Radiohead/Johnny Marr etc

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great album. The Wilco contribution to this project can't be underestimated. I like all the Wilco members individual songs. Jeff's 'What Could Have Been' is a real grower. Low key - but with an interesting arrangement that layers up nicely. John Stirratt's 'Over and Done' is an alt-country gem. Glenn Kotche and Phil Selway collaborate on '3 Worlds Collide', a tribal percussion fest that works well in this context. The real surprise for me was Pat Sansone's 'Don't Forget Me' - it's one of my favourite tracks on the album and features some great guitar by Johnny Marr.

As well as the individual songs the Wilco guys are all over this album. The Johnny Marr/Jeff Tweedy co-write 'Too Blue' is just a terrific pop tune and a great album opener. Glenn and John are the rhythm section on the majority of the tracks and Pat plays keyboards, guitar and backing vocals to a whole bunch of them. Pat's even responsible for a killer bass line(!) on one of the songs ('Long Time Gone'). But the real secret weapon on this album is Jeff's guitar. His guitar solo in 'All Comedians Suffer' is the best guitar I've heard him play since 'A Ghost is Born' - it has the same intensity and feel as the solo in 'At Least that What's She Said'. He also add terrific guitar texture to one of the other stand-outs tracks on the album, Don McGlashan's 'Girl Make Your Own Mind Up'. Makes me wish that Jeff would have busted out more of his guitar chops on the last two Wilco albums.

Another observation: I much prefer the version of 'You Never Know' on this album compared to the one on WT(A). This version is vamped up with extra guitar, wurlitzer, and vocals - and with the synthesizer higher in the mix. It's just sounds more fun.

A warning: if you are interested in the Wilco contributions to this album then make sure to get the double album version which is only available in limited release. The single album version is missing a lot of the good songs including Pat and John's numbers. Also, because this is a charity album there seems to be zero promotional budget behind it. If the Australian experience is anything to go by the album will be hard to find.

BTW: Neil Finn appeared on KCRW in LA last week talking about the project and playing some of the songs from the album in the studio with Lisa Germano and a couple of other folks (alas no Wilco members). A really nice performance. Click on the link below and push the 'watch' button:

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/mb090925neil_finn

Didn't see it discussed elsewhere in this long thread, so forgive me if it has. But this is just going to be a CD (and mp3 download) release, right? I haven't seen vinyl mentioned anywhere. Just wondering.

It looks like the 2xLP is coming out October 27th and will go for $24.99:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/86190

You can also order it here, which says it will ship on or before release date which it lists as being today:

http://www.insound.com/7_Worlds_Collide_The_Sun_Came_Out__PRE-ORDER_LP/productmain/p/INS64237/

Don't know when local shops are stocking this but I imagine they will be.

EDIT: I'm not entirely certain these are legitimate listings - I would call the vendors directly and make sure it isn't a misprint.

EDIT #2 - Barnes and Noble is listing it, also with the October 27th release date:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?r=1&EAN=886975834518

EDIT #3: Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=2022881&skuId=18108691&type=product

A warning: if you are interested in the Wilco contributions to this album then make sure to get the double album version which is only available in limited release. The single album version is missing a lot of the good songs including Pat and John's numbers. Also, because this is a charity album there seems to be zero promotional budget behind it. If the Australian experience is anything to go by the album will be hard to find.

I think the only version released today in the US is the twin CD pack, but I could be wrong. I see that it's sold out on Oxfam's NZ website, and was quite expensive, but it's available here for only $14 US, at least as of today. I had to ask for it to find it though at one of the local independent CD shops, because it wasn't filed under Neil Finn, like the first 7 Worlds, which surprised me, but rather the band name 7 Worlds Collide. Nice to have the CD sound quality after listening to mp3s for weeks.

I had to ask for it to find it though at one of the local independent CD shops, because it wasn't filed under Neil Finn, like the first 7 Worlds, which surprised me, but rather the band name 7 Worlds Collide.

I went to three different stores to find it last night. The clerk I got it from said that being under that name and not Neil Finn was probably causing some buyers to not order it less or not at all (which I was running into.) It was worth the hunt!

Not too shockingly, someone shoved it into the Sevendust bin at the local Best Buy. I brought it to the attention of the manager, who created a proper bin for it.

It was actually at a Best Buy? I'm amazed.

Whoever this Sony label is, they must have some crazy-ass pull with retailers. wink.gif

They must have a hard time competing against YepRoc (www.yeproc.com)!

I'm wondering how many copies of this Sony is distributing in the US. The double CD is already a collectors item in New Zealand, apparently, at least with Oxfam. My local store got a whopping 10 copies. That's why the Best Buy???? response kicked in cheers.gif

• 1 year later...