Wilco involved with Neil Finn project with Radiohead/Johnny Marr etc

Just read an interesting interview with Ed O'Brien from Radiohead who suggested that he and Phil Selway from Radiohead might be getting together with Neil Finn and some members of Wilco towards the end of the year for some sort of project. Sounds like a sort of reprise of the Seven Worlds Collide project that Neil Finn put together a few years ago with Ed and Phil along with Johnny Marr, Eddie Vedder and a few others. That project resulted in a series of live concerts in Auckland New Zealand and a great live CD/DVD ('Seven Worlds Collide'). Details in the interview are sketchy but this sounds like more of a studio-based project. Neil Finn has his own studio in Auckland. I know he is a big fan of Wilco and attended their recent concert in Wellington NZ.

Here's a link to the interview (think you need to sign-up to view it):

http://www.ateaseweb.com/mb/index.php?showtopic=235047465

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you need to sign up, and I'd rather not.

Is there anything juicy in there that wasn't covered in the synopsis above?

The thought of Neil and Jeff working together is frighteningly awesome. They're two of my favorite songwriters and singers of all time.

I THINK I've just made a small mess in my trousers...

This sounds excellent...

Like you Finn and Tweedy are two of my all time favourite songwriters.

Has anyone been able to find the interview that's not on the Radiohead board? Or is it a unique on for the site?

The only bummer in this (and it may be the only down-side) is that Glenn probably wouldn't be in on it if Selway is. Don't get me wrong - any project with Phil on drums is going to be good, but I do really loves me some Kotche. As long as Jeff and Nels are going along for the ride, it's all good.

Christ...that is one intense interview. Radiohead teaming with Wilco is a dream of mine. I wonder if they could do a version of Box Full of Letters [story behind that: I discovered Wilco by downloading a song that was tagged "Wilco and Radiohead - Box Full of Letters"]

Radiohead and Wilco doing a collaboration to me would be the modern day equivalent of a Beatles/ Stones collaboration

I don't think there's anything that would be a modern-day equivalent of a Beatles/Stones collaboration.

I don't think there's anything that would be a modern-day equivalent of a Beatles/Stones collaboration.

Quite frankly a Beatles stones collaboration probably had a lot less chance of working than a Radiohead/ Wilco collaboration would. A lot less ego in Wilco/ Radiohead than Beatles/ Stones.

Quite frankly a Beatles stones collaboration probably had a lot less chance of working than a Radiohead/ Wilco collaboration would. A lot less ego in Wilco/ Radiohead than Beatles/ Stones.

Are you sure about that? Have you watched Man in the Sand and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart?

The only bummer in this (and it may be the only down-side) is that Glenn probably wouldn't be in on it if Selway is. Don't get me wrong - any project with Phil on drums is going to be good, but I do really loves me some Kotche. As long as Jeff and Nels are going along for the ride, it's all good.

Two drummer madness!

This is epic.

In my opinion the Stones (mind you they're good, but they) aren't worthy of a collab with the Beatles, but I'm just an elitist bastard. :pirate

Are you sure about that? Have you watched Man in the Sand and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart?

Have you watched Let it Be? John Lennon and Paul McCartney had more ego than the entirety of both Wilco and Radiohead combined...

Besides, Jeff replaced all of the members who had egos with yes men who do whatever he wants...so IATTBYH is sort of irrelevant in examining the current band dynamic.

Yeah Wilco/Finn/Radiohead would be the zenith of my favorite people but I read the comments in the interview differently. I thought he was saying more 7 Worlds Collide (the Finn/Radio/Marr/Vedder/Liam/SoulCoughing thing) and some things with Wilco as a seperate topic. Maybe i'm wrong though. Jeff singing with Neil would be pretty top notch i'd suppose. His vocals paired with Gary Louris always work well...

• 3 months later...

it's happening!!! HOLY FUCKING SHIT AAHH :dancing

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/ne...3041&pnum=0

All back to my place

Neil Finn awaits the arrival of his musical mates at Roundhead studios for the next 7 Worlds Collide series and recording sessions. Photo / Richard Robinson

Tonight, Neil Finn has invited a few friends over to his place for a sing-song.

It's just a small gathering really. Just Finn, some musical mates ... oh and an invited audience of 40 or so, a small team of sound and radio people, and four bands - the Motts, Dictaphone Blues, Dr Colossus and Naked and Famous.

It's five bands if you count Finn's own all-star pick-up group - which he's dubbed "Loose Unit" - which includes Don McGlashan, Sean "SJD" Donnelly, and Bic Runga.

They're first up in the main room at Finn's Roundhead Studios, whipping through early Split Enz' Spellbound and a tag-team vocal take on Sharon O'Neill's classic Maxine.

"It's quite odd singing it as a man," he laughs later about the O'Neill track, "it definitely changes the song a little bit. But I think Don really nailed it. There's a black woman lurking deep in that Celtic body of his."

That's just the start of a night which has the invitees skipping from Roundhead's A and B studio to catch the next act, with a brief pause between floors where Finn and McGlashan play the latter's Andy, enhanced by the stairwell's natural reverb.

But it's really the young bands' night, especially the extravagant gypsy-rock of Dr Colossus, a group which Finn singles out when talking about the talented young Auckland acts beating a path to Roundhead's doors.

"I think there's a genetic spike - I am very impressed by our young people at the moment. It's exciting to see young musicians - for instance that Dr Colossus Band and that guy Leon [Radojkovic] is 22 years old and he's doing those arrangements which are just madly sophisticated, nutty and exciting."

But there are ulterior reasons for the gathering. The main one is that this a try-out for a possible "Live at Roundhead" show for Radio New Zealand National which he has presented as an idea and hopes will be taken up by the station.

"I love public radio. I always have. I am well known for advocating for a youth network and that's been very disappointing for me obviously. But on the other hand Radio New Zealand are great and they do a great job at what they are good at. And the idea of having live uninterrupted music going across the whole country is very much the public radio thing that I love - getting out to Motueka and Gore with the same music that people don't really get a chance to listen to."

Finn says now that he's based back in Auckland and is involved in the studio he's finding himself part of a musical community, something he hasn't always had in his past career. The young acts playing tonight say he's been generous with Roundhead's facilities. His musical son Liam has also helped him make some musical connections.

"I think that I, probably in the last year, have become much more aware of a community of musicians that I can feel part of than I did for 10 years living here previous to that. For a variety of reasons I felt a little isolated from what was going on but through having the studio and through reaching out a little I have got a lot back from my output and I have got a facility here where I can afford to be generous with certain people if I take an interest.

"I was in Split Enz - not to get too psycho-analytical about it- but I was in a very self-contained outfit. We were very insular.We had a few friends but we basically kept to ourselves. Liam was much more connected both here and in London to a wide community of musicians and I have got to know them through him and it's exciting."

Finn's next big project also has a communal feel. He's reprising the 7 Worlds Collide concert series which made for a season of memorable nights at the St James in 2001 as Finn fronted a supergroup which included members of Radiohead, the Smiths and Pearl Jam among other guests.

This time the plan is for three nights at the Powerstation. But the band - which includes four members of Wilco including frontman Jeff Tweedy, Radiohead returnees Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway, Smiths and now Modest Mouse guitarist Johnny Marr, Scottish singer-songwriter KT Tunstall, as well as Runga and McGlashan - will also be recording an album at Roundhead to benefit Oxfam International.

"It will be a little less formal than last time - not that that was formal but we had rehearsed for the live show. But this time it will be more of a revue and every night should be quite substantially different."

The participants from last time - which also include Americans bassist Sebastian Steinberg, and singer-songwriter Lisa Germano - were keen on reprising the idea. Finn approached Wilco after coming away absolutely besotted when he saw them on tour in New Zealand earlier this year.

"So I just shot an email off to them saying 'this is what we're doing, I know it's Christmas ...' but we got an immediate response saying 'Yeah we're in'. Bang. I was surprised but delighted."

KT Tunstall, who played in New Zealand at the same Whitianga festival as Wilco, was suggested by the band's drummer Glen Kotche. Turns out she was going to be here anyway at the time - on a month's honeymoon.

So far as the good cause behind the album, Finn has worked with Oxfam before.

"I think at the moment, particularly with the economic crisis, one would assume that the people who will be forgotten, who won't be getting the $700 billion bailout, will be the people in Africa and other parts of the world who need it."

There's another upside to the benefit album - it dispenses with inter-record company politics that might have made a commercial album fraught with difficulties. Still, it won't be some summer musical lark.

"It will be really intense. We have got to pull off making an album in less than three weeks and that is a really big ask for anybody.

"Last time it was an idea that we had all been really enchanted by and then there was a day of almost blind terror where everybody went 'oh my God, we actually have to be good as well'. You don't want to be left looking a bit limp - there is nothing worse than a supergroup that doesn't seem that super."

"It will hang on the songs, if we can gather really good songs together there are a lot of great interpreters in the room and we will do good work. It's a challenge for sure. It's not going to be easy - it's not just hanging out."

Finn also has a new Crowded House album in the works, with a likely release date of mid-2009.

But when he's not hatching plans for his studio, he and wife Sharon are just happy to be back in Auckland after a year or so living in England

"We are just loving life at the moment. Sharon and I are empty nesters and there is no manual for that stage of our life and our response to it is to do a bit more smoking and drinking and having a laugh - in the great words of Father Ted." And occasionally having some mates over for a bit of a singalong.

LOWDOWN

Who: Neil Finn

What: 7 Worlds Collide show and album featuring Johnny Marr, Phil Selway & Ed O'Brien (Radiohead), Sebastian Steinberg, Lisa Germano, Liam Finn; Jeff Tweedy, John Stirrat, Glen Kotche and Pat Sansone (Wilco), KT Tunstall, Don McGlashan, Bic Runga.

When and where: Powerstaton, Auckland Monday 5, Tuesday 6 and Wednesday 7 January

Tickets: On sale November 24 Ticketmaster

OMFG. :-O

So cool...thanks for all the info.! :D