Wilco involved with Neil Finn project with Radiohead/Johnny Marr etc

I have been a Neil Finn fan for far longer than Jeff Tweedy (well, Split Enz was way ahead of Uncle Tupelo). This is an incredible mix of musicians. I would love to be in Auckland for these shows.

The first '7 World's Collide' was fantastic. I hope they do some live streaming.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my very humble opinion, Neil Finn is one of the best guitar-based singer songwriters of our time. He works hard, just like Jeff Tweedy. The possiblities of them working together boggle my mind....

I can't wait to see them ripping some lead guitars together....

and the harmonies :worship

Neil, you are great!

276655473.jpg

Portland, OR in 2007

285349536.jpg

and Seattle the day before...

Offical press release:

Over Christmas 2008 and New Year 2009, Neil Finn has invited the core band from his 2001 Seven Worlds Collide project, plus some other special guests, to create a new album at Roundhead studios in Auckland, New Zealand. Guests confirmed so far are Radiohead

More details from http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0811/S00149.htm

Neil Finn Announces Seven Worlds Collide Album Project and Shows

Seven years ago, Neil Finn called on a very special group of musical friends. They came from all around the world and converged on Auckland, New Zealand. Over a short few days in 2001, they formed a band and rehearsed a lengthy set, taking it to the stage of Auckland

Christ...that is one intense interview. Radiohead teaming with Wilco is a dream of mine. I wonder if they could do a version of Box Full of Letters [story behind that: I discovered Wilco by downloading a song that was tagged "Wilco and Radiohead - Box Full of Letters"]

I still have that track on my hard drive. I was just getting in to Wilco and was/am a huge Radiohead fan. Turns out to be the studio version off of A.M....I went around telling people it was a collaboration with Thom Yorke.

About the project, I am a skeptic...that being said, I'll give it a few listens before I fall in love.

I'm sure this'll be a clusterfuck, as these types of projects usually are. The only interesting acts in the lineup are Two Thirds Wilco and Quarteriohead.

Bad math I think. How do you get "Quarteriohead" out of a 5 person band? I and 1/4 members are good?

Also Neil is really one of the best songwriters around. No respect for Sebastian Steinberg either? Who doesn't love the Soul Coughing?

As for a clusterfuck the last one of these worked out pretty great

If Liam Finn and Glen could do a side project/ opening act the world would be a more perfect place. That kid is pretty damn good. Caught him at Bottom of the Hill in SF just a bit ago.

check him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-EGFS4-ck

i've never heard soul coughing, however, sebastian s. is a frequent player at largo here in l.a. last week i saw him bust out a fantastic "i put a spell on you" while playing the stand up bass. he's what the kids call a bad ass. :thumbup

Well I live in Auckland so I'm definably going to this! The venue for the last one was better though. The Powerstation is pretty small and the power nearly always craps out at least once per gig. Also I run a recording studio so I wonder if they will want me to deal with any overflow? Hmm...Goes into wavey dream sequence...

I like Neil Finn also and imagine he'll do a good share of writing, but I'm hoping for various combinations of writers and singers.

For example, I'd LOVE to hear a Lisa Germano/Jeff Tweedy collaboration.

I think Germano's one of the more unknown and under-rated music artists. It would be a crime if she doesn't get to be the featured singer on at least track....she's got a great voice.

For example, I'd LOVE to hear a Lisa Germano/Jeff Tweedy collaboration.

I think Germano's one of the more unknown and under-rated music artists. It would be a crime if she doesn't get to be the featured singer on at least track....she's got a great voice.

Love her. I think I first heard her when I heard OP8, which was essentially Calexico/Giant Sand with Lisa Germano.

There was one song that just slayed me: "Crackling Water." It still does, in fact.

I need to pick that album up... my old roommate was the one that had the hard copy of this one.

Kevin