iPod/Macbook help!

First off: sorry if something like this has been asked. I did a search for "iPod" and came up with 5 pages, that I went through, but didn't see what I wanted to know... and I couldn't think of anything more specific to search!

Alright so, a few weeks ago my precious MacBook's hard drive failed on me. Well, it stopped working and at the time I didn't know why. So I took it in to the shop and they had to send it all the way to Kewlona (like a 6 or 7 hour drive away!!) to get it to someone who could repair it (as no one was certified in this two bit town of mine), they assured me it'd take about two weeks till I got it back. So of course, almost four weeks later I get a call and it's the repair guy in Kewlona telling me my hard drive was faulty and I lost everything. That's alright, I had almost all my programs backed up, I had MOST of the music I was writing backed up (except 3 or 4 new songs I had just started grr... but it's okay, things are typically better if you have to redo them), and all my important documents backed up as well. I did have a large portion of my music library backed up, but to be honest, it takes so long to copy everything over to my external drive that I hadn't done it in a few months. THE GOOD NEWS! Is I have most of my music on my iPod!! So here is my question to my much wiser friends at VC. How can I get music OFF my iPod and back on to my computer? The iPod is mac formatted and it was set to sync. I've heard it's possible but I don't know how to even start googling something like this. Any help and I'd be a happy camper! Thanks.

the bad thing is that your ipod was set to sync. when you plug it in to your fixed computer and open itunes it will erase your music in all probability... that happened to my sister's ipod twice, then we learned to set it to manual. if you can plug your ipod in without it automatically syncing you should be able to go into it (assuming your ipod is set up for disk use) like a normal hard drive. there is a set of folders that are hidden which is where your music is. you might have to click around a bit. i can't remember what they're called right now. so if you know how to open the hidden folders on a mac (you do it by going into tools on windows...) you should be able to get it.

i hope that makes a bit of sense...

i just got a macbook this week, it's awesome, although i am having a tough time with garage band, i don't know how to work it yet.

Grr I had it set to manual but my iPod kept freezing so I reformatted it (which didn't help the freezing!) and it automatically set it to sync. I was going to set it to manual when I had the time but I never got around to it :(!

you might be able to set it to manual. when you plug it into to your computer, you will get a message that says something like this ipod is synced with another computer would you like to sync it with this computer...and click no. i think, but don't hold me to this, you can then go into the ipod settings and change it to manual mode then eject it, reconnect and you should be able to navigate in to get your files. i have never tried this before, so can't guarantee it. also, there are programs out there on the web that allow you to "unlock" your ipod to retrieve your music off of there. i tried this once. i could get into the files, but it was a total mess and hodge podge and nothing was discernable. my ipod crashed soon after trying this and i had to reformat it, so i would not recommend that route.

if you are able to retrieve everything back it up just to be safe. :)

There is a way to unlock your ipod and then copy all your files off it onto your harddrive. I dont believe it takes a program. I looked around for a while online before I found a place that talks about it...i'll try to find it for you. It was a matter of opening it from My Computer and then going through the drive that the ipod shows up on..not sure how that translates on a macbook...hmm but let me see if i can figure it out.

Alright! Thanks everyone for your help (especially VenusStopsTrain2 for the PM!), I ended up using the program ObliviousToMyself recommended and it worked great!