66 years ago today

Too many amazing memories to list. He's still greatly missed. I believe the Baltimore Symphony does their GD thing today, too. Out here, my friend starts his annual "9 Days of Jerry" at his bars with all GD-focused bands.

jerry70s.jpg

Yeah. We do the Jerry Week thing here. It's always nice to do a marathon of GD music - shit, there were years when that's all I'd play.

Maybe we'll kick it off with 8/1/82. :dancing

Yeah. We do the Jerry Week thing here. It's always nice to do a marathon of GD music - shit, there were years when that's all I'd play.

Maybe we'll kick it off with 8/1/82. :dancing

Zoo Amp.! Playin-> Aiko->,,,,

Old Jerry really fucked up. He had a great thing going, but just couldn't stay off the hard stuff. Still makes me sad really and I am not even a Deadhead. The man had it all and he couldn't keep it together. At 66 he could still be going strong (hell he died younger than I am now) and still touring for the fans and making boatloads of money (and taking all the soft drugs he wanted.) It really sucks....

RIP Jerry.....

LouieB

Old Jerry really fucked up. He had a great thing going, but just couldn't stay off the hard stuff. Still makes me sad really and I am not even a Deadhead. The man had it all and he couldn't keep it together. At 66 he could still be going strong (hell he died younger than I am now) and still touring for the fans and making boatloads of money (and taking all the soft drugs he wanted.) It really sucks....

RIP Jerry.....

LouieB

In fairness, he did make several attempts (and a few of them temporarily successful, too) to rid himself of the junk. He died in a rehab facility, after all. Granted, the toll had already taken effect on his worn down body, but he made attempts to get off the highly addictive shit.

Also, there's something to be said for living your life the way you want to and accepting what that may entail. I don't mean this in a pro-drug way at all, but I think he was just thick-headed and stubborn and nobody was going to tell him how to live his life. Sad as it is, I'm actually surprised he made it to age 53.

Sad as it is, I'm actually surprised he made it to age 53.

Very true. Hell, he was 43 (younger than I am now) when he slipped into the coma in '86. Despite his overweening fondness for central nervous system stimulants, it could be said that the worst thing he did to his body was the lifelong 2-pack-a-day unfiltered Camels habit.

None of this, of course, can explain Keef still rockin' out at age 64.