New Cat Power album "Sun" (?)

According to her myspace page, Chan Marshall's new EP will come out in September...rumored to be the album she's had in the can for a while entitled 'Sun'...talked about in this older Spin article, around the time 'The Greatest' came out:

Can you tell me about Sun, the album that's due after your next covers album?

It will come out in spring of 2008. I'm producing it. One song is called "Leopard," I used to sing it when I was 26. There's another song, a spiritual song called "Mountaintops." And there's a really sweet song called "Funny Things" that's like a little kid's tap-dance song about having special secret thoughts: "Funny things in your dreams/Can you whisper talk to me?" And then there's "Silent Machine," which I actually wrote a long time ago. There's another song called "Oh Time." It's about my ex and it's about forgiveness. My friend Susanna always cries when I play it.

How does it go?

"A ticket to Atlanta / Family knows another now / A ticket from Atlanta / Family knows, another shot down / You win / I give in / I forgive you / Oh time, the great healer / Oh time, the great healer."

That's beautiful.

You know Cat Power -- she tends to write pretty personal songs. The myth! The mystery! [Laughs] That's why I've always done interviews: to show there's no mystery at all. When I was 21, I wanted to do interviews because I wanted to save the world. I still do. But half the time I'm still trying to save myself first.

I really dig the production on her last album (Jukebox) and think "The Greatest" lives up to the title, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

I hope this is better then Jukebox. Also hope its a little less on the pop side of things. I really like "the greatest" but I don't think it comes close to her best work ("What Would The Community Think" "Moon Pix" or "You Are Free").

I suppose I'm coming at it from the exact opposite angle. I really enjoyed her last two because I felt they served the melody and song more than her earlier work. I feel like as she's grown in confidence (read: getting sober) her performances on record have become stronger and stronger. Maybe I have fondness for melody or the pop-song structure, but I think she's really coming into her own and grown as an artist. If you compare both the Covers Records it feels like she used to be stubbornly abstract with her interpretations, almost confrontational, and that has its place, but sometimes you just want a great 3 minutes.

I hope this is better then Jukebox. Also hope its a little less on the pop side of things. I really like "the greatest" but I don't think it comes close to her best work ("What Would The Community Think" "Moon Pix" or "You Are Free").

ditto.

I suppose I'm coming at it from the exact opposite angle. I really enjoyed her last two because I felt they served the melody and song more than her earlier work. I feel like as she's grown in confidence (read: getting sober) her performances on record have become stronger and stronger. Maybe I have fondness for melody or the pop-song structure, but I think she's really coming into her own and grown as an artist. If you compare both the Covers Records it feels like she used to be stubbornly abstract with her interpretations, almost confrontational, and that has its place, but sometimes you just want a great 3 minutes.

Exactly. I find her early records to be arch and stuffy to the point of being nigh unlistenable. Really not impressed by her folk material at all, but The Greatest opened a very, very interesting door for her.

• 1 month later...

The track list (according to Pitchfork)

Dark End of the Street EP:

01 Auld Triangle (The Pogues) *

02 Dark End of the Street (James Carr) *

03 Who Knows Where the Time Goes (Sandy Denny/Fairport Convention) *

04 Fortune Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

05 I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) (Otis Redding)

06 It Ain't Fair (Aretha Franklin) *

* previously unreleased

• 2 years later...

She updated her Myspace Status for the first time since Aug 2007 today saying something like "new song leaking soon."

I guess this means a new record is on the horizon.

Wow, didn't know(or remember) the follow-up record was said to come out Spring 3 years ago!

Hasn't had a new record of mostly originals since 2006, I think. 5 years.

Whatever happened to Redpillbox? I liked that perspective between the first and second covers records.

I am liking the prospect of Marshall-penned songs again

Thanks for the shout-out Tinnitus...I'm here. I mostly lurk around.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I streamed the first few songs and I just couldn't keep going on. It's not even that it's bad. I don't have as much time to listen anymore and I have the feeling I just wouldn't play this much. I've bought the last 2 Chan records when they came out. There are some good moments, but I can never listen to her records start to finish. At some point, I had heard of Cat Power a lot and saw Moon Pix in a reduced pile rack and bought it. Even recently I tried to listen to it, and just couldn't make it through. I don't know what it is. It's not that I haven't tried either. Not digging the short hair either.

I have bought the last 5 or so Deerhoof records, but I streamed that, too, and figured I probably wouldn't play it much.

I will, however, buy the new Animal Collective. I have streamed it twice and I'm still logging to hear it again.

At some point, I had heard of Cat Power a lot and saw Moon Pix in a reduced pile rack and bought it. Even recently I tried to listen to it, and just couldn't make it through. I don't know what it is. It's not that I haven't tried either.

but you gotta love Cross Bones Style