Tricky Wedding Etiquette Question

Does anyone know what I should do here? I am planning to have my brothers serve as groomsmen. One of my brothers passed away over 15 years ago and I would still like to honor him as a groomsman. I plan to list him in the program and on our wedding web site. What is the most appropriate way to do so?

One of these:

[brother's Name} (Deceased)

Groomsmen

Groom's brother

or

[brother's Name} (In Memory)

Groomsmen

Groom's brother

Or something else entirely?

Also, my fianc

Does anyone know what I should do here? I am planning to have my brothers serve as groomsmen. One of my brothers passed away over 15 years ago and I would still like to honor him as a groomsman. I plan to list him in the program and on our wedding web site. What is the most appropriate way to do so?

One of these:

[brother's Name} (Deceased)

Groomsmen

Groom's brother

or

Groomsmen

Groom's brother

Or something else entirely?

Also, my fianc

Groomsmen

Groom's brother

Seconded. Sorry to hear that you lost your brother. My brothers are going to be my groomsmen too, and I get a little choked up just thinking it.

I like the "in memory" idea. The word "deceased" can come off as cold and disconnected, but "in memory" communicates the love you have for him.

I think it's really cool that you're including him. Hope your wedding is fantastic. :cheers

Moe, perhaps a small ribbon on the other groomsmen's boutonniers as a way of honoring your brother's memory as well? Just a thought.

All the best to you man. Have a great day, and don't forget some Jerry and/or Trey music at the reception! :thumbup

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with "In Memoriam."

What about the second question? That one seems like there should be common etiquette. Is it Bride's bother-in-law or Future brother-in-law?

And, mountain bed, I've got Seis de Mayo, that new orchestral Dead album and some orchestral Zappa (in addition to more traditional jazz and classical music) that will be played as dinner music. ;)

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with "In Memoriam."

What about the second question? That one seems like there should be common etiquette. Is it Bride's bother-in-law or Future brother-in-law?

And, mountain bed, I've got Seis de Mayo, that new orchestral Dead album and some orchestral Zappa (in addition to more traditional jazz and classical music) that will be played as dinner music. ;)

I'm almost positive that Bride's brother-in-law is correct.

I also like MB idea of the ribbon in honor.

I go for the in memory of as well. Anything else would seem too funereal and take away from the wedding ceremony. Perhaps a short toast for your bro at the reception would be touching. As for the program, do you really need to list anything but your brother-in-laws name? Titles are over-rated. Oh, and best wishes!

Definitely the "In Memory" (or Memoriam) version. I think "In Spirit" sounds kind of nice too. I also think the ribbon for the other groomsmen is a great idea. Best of luck with your entire wedding...sounds like wedding planning is complicated stuff. :thumbup

If you don't want to put "Friend" (or whatever you'd put for a friend), I guess put "Bride's bother-in-law."