Has anyone seen the trailer for David Zucker's An American Carol?

Normally I'd be plenty interested in a ZAZ-style spoof of the far-left, but this trailer doesn't offer much hope. The trailer makes the movie look like another witless parody in the vein of Epic Movie--Michael Moore is really fat! That's hysterical!!--and in the process makes the far-right look downright buffoonish, not to mention tone-deaf. The target audience appears to be 11-year-old boys, which begs the question: How many 11-year-old boys are longing for a parody of leftist politics? Who is this movie for?

That does not look good at all. And Farley's brother? c'mon. I find Moore a bit on the irritating side but he has made some great films. To Beltmann's point, I don't see a huge audience for this. Maybe people who think Bill O'Reilly is funny? Or, at least Bill O'Reilly. He'll think this is the best movie ever.

The premise--Moore wants to ban the Fourth of July, but is then visited by three ghosts who show him what's great about America--could be a good starting point for biting satire, but it looks like the movie aims instead for the usual obvious, tired, broad slapstick. Is every joke in the movie about getting hit in the head? (Come to think of it, that was the same philosophy that made Zucker's Scary Movie 4 so unbearable.)

Among the countless stupid and boring moments in that trailer, this sticks out:

Picture2-4.png

Why would they make that to look like David Zucker is saying that? I think I know - because they are lazy. This screenshot illustrates perfectly the thought process that went into making this. Man, and Chris Farley's brother was great in that one episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Dang.

can't be any more obnoxious than the real michael Moore.

I think they're going for 'funny' though - and that's where he'd have them beat (he definitely makes me laugh, no matter how little I put into his arguments).

Has anyone seen the trailer for David Zucker's An American Carol?

Normally I'd be plenty interested in a ZAZ-style spoof of the far-left, but this trailer doesn't offer much hope. The trailer makes the movie look like another witless parody in the vein of Epic Movie--Michael Moore is really fat! That's hysterical!!--and in the process makes the far-right look downright buffoonish, not to mention tone-deaf. The target audience appears to be 11-year-old boys, which begs the question: How many 11-year-old boys are longing for a parody of leftist politics? Who is this movie for?

This looks pretty awful, if the people behind Epic Movie, Date Movie, et. all never made another film, we'd probably all be better for it. I do agree with you though, Beltmann, this could be a good premise if handled by a better writer/director. Someone get Mel Brooks on this.

--Mike

The title violates parallelism. It should read "A Fourth of July Carol," or, alternately, "An Independence Day Carol."

can't be any more obnoxious than the real michael Moore.

I don't think we'd have Jon Stewart and Colbert without Michael Moore -- or at least not the political satire in its present form.

For better or worse, the popularity and usefulness of the documentary for causes would not exist. Nor, for that matter would swiftboat, moveon.org. IMHO.

Yeah, South Park skewers liberals, but they skewer conservatives just the same. I wouldn't really call it conservative satire.

Maybe not the show as a whole, but many individual episodes demonstrate conservative satire. Another example of conservative satire is Stuff White People Like. It's more of a cultural than political thing, but it definitely has an anti-leftwing bent to it.

I think your first bit is a gross oversinplificartion.

Yeah, well, it was not intended as Ph. D. level dissertation on the socio-political mechanics underlying satire and politically minded comedy - but, with that said, create for me a list of 10 successful (I

How so?

Because Coulter, Limbaugh et al have no real desire to even begin to take seriously issues that matter, aside from this nebulous, underground liberal conspiracy to overthrow America and in it

I've been re-watching Michael Moore's The Awful Truth. What a great show. While I don't always agree with him, he always entertaining. And I highly respect him because of the great work he's done for people: getting people's jobs back, reversing health insurance denials, etc. His television shows were great for that. He could dedicate himelf and his show to one persons problem and make a real difference. Not a lot of people are willing or able to do that. Guy's got balls.